Recommitted Jack Petruccelle [out of contract 2020]

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
If a club wants to offer a first or even second round pick for Jack then the Eagles should jump at it. Pretty average player in my opinion. Could be a good Olympian maybe.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
He is an under 10 disposal goal a game player at the moment and was taken at pick 38. His value has not drastically increased since being drafted.
He is a second year player that has broken into the reigning premiers forward line. How many draftees picked at 30 or later get a Rising star nomination?

He has a point of difference and his development is coming along just fine. Another club wants to get a contracted best 22, you need a better bid than “give them what they paid”.

Time to pony up or piss off!

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
He is a second year player that has broken into the reigning premiers forward line. How many draftees picked at 30 or later get a Rising star nomination?

He has a point of difference and his development is coming along just fine. Another club wants to get a contracted best 22, you need a better bid than “give them what they paid”.

Time to pony up or p**s off!
Here is a list of players taken after pick 30 that have gotten a Rising Star nomination from just the last 3 years...

Butler, Silvagni, Lewis, Miers, Waterman, Ronke, Cox, Larkey, Zurhaar, Baker, Morrison, Worpel, Henry, Cole, Bonner, Murray, Clarke, Stack, Castagna, Houston, Ryan, Melican, Phillips, Hardwick

It is not rare for a pick at 30 or later to get one...

You are right he is contracted and the Eagles can ask for as much as they want but they will not be receiving anything even close to a first round pick for him.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Eagles used pick 39 and spent two years developing him. That pick in the 20's would need to be a low one.

More likely the Eagles will want a decent pick upgrade into the 1st round. Dogs need points next year so then Petro plus Eagles 2020 2nd for Dogs 2019 1st. That would be about right for a player in contract you are throwing $600k at.
That's basically something like Pick 10 for Petch + 32. We'd be insane to go for that tbh

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
Eagles used pick 39 and spent two years developing him. That pick in the 20's would need to be a low one.

More likely the Eagles will want a decent pick upgrade into the 1st round. Dogs need points next year so then Petro plus Eagles 2020 2nd for Dogs 2019 1st. That would be about right for a player in contract you are throwing $600k at.
dogs 2020 first you mean

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Petracelle had issues with his tank he is lightning quick but struggled last year .
This year his repeat sprints have been much better and has been staying in the contest longer , getting up the ground more , taking marks up on the wing and then beating his man back .
He will only get better with more preseasons .

I cant see us letting him go for a mid 2nd round pick as his value is only going up . He is contracted and has established himself in our best 22 . We will need to be compensated accordingly .

This is no sam Lloyd deal .
Sam Lloyd went for a pick in the 60's
Appes and Oranges they are nothing like similar deals. Pick in the low to mid twenties is around the mark for his value.
WC are entitled to ask for whatever they feel , just can't see anyone paying more.
So if WC play hardball he will stay and join the log jam of small forwards

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
That's basically something like Pick 10 for Petch + 32. We'd be insane to go for that tbh

Sounds like the Dogs are offering insane coin to poach him.

He's in contract and wanted. So pony up or wait 12 months. If he stays fit his 3rd year will be better than his 2nd after another preseason.

If any club wants him this year it will cost them overs, he's under contract.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Sam Lloyd went for a pick in the 60's
Appes and Oranges they are nothing like similar deals. Pick in the low to mid twenties is around the mark for his value.
WC are entitled to ask for whatever they feel , just can't see anyone paying more.
So if WC play hardball he will stay and join the log jam of small forwards
Agree a pick low to mid 20’s sounds right currency. Not wanting to lose him but we can cover him. I can see him eventually spending more time on s wing - a burst type player

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sounds like the Dogs are offering insane coin to poach him.

He's in contract and wanted. So pony up or wait 12 months. If he stays fit his 3rd year will be better than his 2nd after another preseason.

If any club wants him this year it will cost them overs, he's under contract.
Wouldn't put even the slightest faith in that rumour, there's zero sources behind it.

But to play along and assume it's true, the money supposedly on offer is $500k per year. That's not the kind of money that warrants a 1st round pick. As it stands, Petch is behind Cripps, Rioli and Ryan as small forwards, with Cameron on his heels. He is right on the edge of the 22 right now. If a club were to pay him $500k, and give a 2nd rounder as trade payment, that is already huge overs for him on output to date.

Just because a player is contracted, doesn't mean a 1st rounder comes into the conversation. He'd maybe warrant an early-ish 2nd rounder at most given his contract status. There is 100% absolutely zero chance that the Dogs first rounder would even come close to the conversations if a trade started being discussed, especially if all we can expect is a 3rd round pick on the way back. That is obscene overs

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Wouldn't put even the slightest faith in that rumour, there's zero sources behind it.

But to play along and assume it's true, the money supposedly on offer is $500k per year. That's not the kind of money that warrants a 1st round pick. As it stands, Petch is behind Cripps, Rioli and Ryan as small forwards, with Cameron on his heels. He is right on the edge of the 22 right now. If a club were to pay him $500k, and give a 2nd rounder as trade payment, that is already huge overs for him on output to date.

Just because a player is contracted, doesn't mean a 1st rounder comes into the conversation. He'd maybe warrant an early-ish 2nd rounder at most given his contract status. There is 100% absolutely zero chance that the Dogs first rounder would even come close to the conversations if a trade started being discussed, especially if all we can expect is a 3rd round pick on the way back. That is obscene overs

Its a 2nd going back not a 3rd.

I know draft points aren't the be all and end all but what else can you use.

Pick 10 is 1395.

Pick 36 is 502.

1395 - 502 = 897 which is equal to pick 20-21.

A low pick in the 20's is what Dogs posters value him at.

Dogs have multiple quality academy or fs in 2020 to pay for, quality 1st round talent they will pay or with later picks.

Also reported this draft evens out after mid way of the 1st.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont

I see the Doggies first round pick in 2019 being in play with Petruccelle in a swap of picks for Doggies in 2020 given their need for picks.

What else would be needed for Doggies 2019 1st (day pick 9) for Petruccelle and West Coast 2020 first round likely to be 14 to 18? Interested in realistic trades

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see the Doggies first round pick in 2019 being in play with Petruccelle in a swap of picks for Doggies in 2020 given their need for picks.

What else would be needed for Doggies 2019 1st (day pick 9) for Petruccelle and West Coast 2020 first round likely to be 14 to 18? Interested in realistic trades
Realistically? If we know there's a 1st rounder coming our way, I think it's more likely the Dogs would want one this year (i.e. your Pick 16-18, assuming you don't go for Kelly) since we will almost certainly lose any 1st rounders next year to an Ugle-Hagan bid, given he's a top 5 prospect.

We'd then need to be getting pick value. Our first 3 picks next year will likely all be NGA/FS players, as we have 3 rated in the first two rounds. So basically anything that is heavily weighted (points-wise) in our favour to help pay for them, likely through later picks. Not sure what it currently looks like, but something like us giving you an additional 3rd rounder this year, plus a 4th next year, in return for a 2nd and 3rd next year.

If that is the route the Dogs did decide to take, I think it's more likely we'd want to give up next year's 1st, in return for plenty of picks + Petrucelle. Anything that gives us more points for next year, basically

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Its a 2nd going back not a 3rd.

I know draft points aren't the be all and end all but what else can you use.

Pick 10 is 1395.

Pick 36 is 502.

1395 - 502 = 897 which is equal to pick 20-21.

A low pick in the 20's is what Dogs posters value him at.

Dogs have multiple quality academy or fs in 2020 to pay for, quality 1st round talent they will pay or with later picks.

Also reported this draft evens out after mid way of the 1st.
I think this just illustrates the problem with focusing on draft points - Eagles weren't able to get Kelly over the line last year because Geelong wanted a 1st rounder, and they weren't satisfied with Eagles offer of multiple 2nds, even though it was technically equivalent to Pick ~10.

In our case, dropping Pick 10 down to Pick 36 is a pretty significant payment. Then consider that we currently hold Picks 9, 27, 41, 43 and 45, it gives a gluttony of picks from 36 to 45 that we probably wouldn't want to be bringing to the draft (without trading up).

I replied to Asterix in a separate comment, but if it were to involve a first rounder from us, we'd need to be getting some significant draft points for next year to help pay for the NGA/FS kids we have coming through. We have potentially three kids, looking like Top 5, Top 15 and Top 25, which could collectively require over 3,000 draft points to pay for after the discount. If we gave up a 1st, I'd think we'd need to be getting some decent points back next year (like upgrading our 4th for your 2nd next year for a start, along with Pick 36 this year)

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I think this just illustrates the problem with focusing on draft points - Eagles weren't able to get Kelly over the line last year because Geelong wanted a 1st rounder, and they weren't satisfied with Eagles offer of multiple 2nds, even though it was technically equivalent to Pick ~10.

In our case, dropping Pick 10 down to Pick 36 is a pretty significant payment. Then consider that we currently hold Picks 9, 27, 41, 43 and 45, it gives a gluttony of picks from 36 to 45 that we probably wouldn't want to be bringing to the draft (without trading up).

I replied to Asterix in a separate comment, but if it were to involve a first rounder from us, we'd need to be getting some significant draft points for next year to help pay for the NGA/FS kids we have coming through. We have potentially three kids, looking like Top 5, Top 15 and Top 25, which could collectively require over 3,000 draft points to pay for after the discount. If we gave up a 1st, I'd think we'd need to be getting some decent points back next year (like upgrading our 4th for your 2nd next year for a start, along with Pick 36 this year)

You start by saying the problem is focusing on draft points.:think:

Then finish by saying Dogs need draft points in 2020?o_O:rolleyes:

The need for draft points in 2020 is the basis of what I proposed. Not sure if you can trade more than 1 future pick but I don't have an issue adding a Eagles 2020 3rd for the Dogs 2020 4th.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You start by saying the problem is focusing on draft points.:think:

Then finish by saying Dogs need draft points in 2020?o_O:rolleyes:

The need for draft points in 2020 is the basis of what I proposed. Not sure if you can trade more than 1 future pick but I don't have an issue adding a Eagles 2020 3rd for the Dogs 2020 4th.
The problem is acting like we're getting him for a 2nd rounder because of draft points.

Draft points become relevant when we're using them to match NGA bids next year. They won't be relevant this year, when we'd be better off bringing our 1st to the draft unless it actually gets us someone of 1st round standard (i.e. Brad Hill), not Petch.

I'm just saying I highly doubt we'd trade our 1st this year and take Pick 36 back unless we are getting serious currency to cover bids next year. As it stands, it really just looks like giving up a potential elite talent (Pick 10 draftee) for someone who is worth a 2nd rounder at most.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The problem is acting like we're getting him for a 2nd rounder because of draft points.

Draft points become relevant when we're using them to match NGA bids next year. They won't be relevant this year, when we'd be better off bringing our 1st to the draft unless it actually gets us someone of 1st round standard (i.e. Brad Hill), not Petch.

I'm just saying I highly doubt we'd trade our 1st this year and take Pick 36 back unless we are getting serious currency to cover bids next year. As it stands, it really just looks like giving up a potential elite talent (Pick 10 draftee) for someone who is worth a 2nd rounder at most.
Problem you have is we wont let a contracted petracelle go for a mid second rounder .
If you want a contracted player you have to give up something of value .
We gave up our first pick 17 for redden who was not worth that after 2 injury riddled seasons

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Problem you have is we wont let a contracted petracelle go for a mid second rounder .
If you want a contracted player you have to give up something of value .
We gave up our first pick 17 for redden who was not worth that after 2 injury riddled seasons
I don't believe the rumours even one bit anyway. I wouldn't blame the Eagles for not wanting to let him go, especially given his contract status, I just also don't think the Dogs would be crazy enough to part with a 1st rounder for anything less than an elite player. Petch would be too speculative

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't believe the rumours even one bit anyway. I wouldn't blame the Eagles for not wanting to let him go, especially given his contract status, I just also don't think the Dogs would be crazy enough to part with a 1st rounder for anything less than an elite player. Petch would be too speculative
I agree but a mid second is a speculative pick . We know we have a great player with elite speed .
If i was the dogs i wouldnt be giving up pick 10 either .
Bit of a stale mate

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree but a mid second is a speculative pick . We know we have a great player with elite speed .
If i was the dogs i wouldnt be giving up pick 10 either .
Bit of a stale mate

Cats are desperate to add leg speed to their side, Petch simply gets added to the Cats deal?

Or he goes to the Saints who have $ to burn as well. Stevens goes to Cats plus our 1st and a 2nd?

Wouldnt discount North and Rawlings to coming knocking either. Or Carlton.

Sep 12, 2013
10 min from Optus
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers Claremont
Realistically? If we know there's a 1st rounder coming our way, I think it's more likely the Dogs would want one this year (i.e. your Pick 16-18, assuming you don't go for Kelly) since we will almost certainly lose any 1st rounders next year to an Ugle-Hagan bid, given he's a top 5 prospect.

We'd then need to be getting pick value. Our first 3 picks next year will likely all be NGA/FS players, as we have 3 rated in the first two rounds. So basically anything that is heavily weighted (points-wise) in our favour to help pay for them, likely through later picks. Not sure what it currently looks like, but something like us giving you an additional 3rd rounder this year, plus a 4th next year, in return for a 2nd and 3rd next year.

If that is the route the Dogs did decide to take, I think it's more likely we'd want to give up next year's 1st, in return for plenty of picks + Petrucelle. Anything that gives us more points for next year, basically
Gather the points for 2020 when you can - plenty of time to downgrade a first round pick in 2020. We have seen first rounders come at a premium so you would have choices.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gather the points for 2020 when you can - plenty of time to downgrade a first round pick in 2020. We have seen first rounders come at a premium so you would have choices.
I wouldn't rule us out just holding the 1st rounder, then handing it out to the highest bidder next year. Gives a much better idea to other clubs of what they're getting (since right now, that could realistically be anywhere from 7-14).

In the event of trading for Petrucelle, short of one of our players being involved (which I doubt), a trade that doesn't involve a 1st rounder or future picks could look like:

Pick 27 + Pick 45 <--> Pick 59 + Petrucelle

Means the Eagles get a 2nd, plus upgrade their 4th to a 3rd. Doesn't help get Kelly if that's their aim though, and if I were the Eagles I'd rather just hold Petch to his contract anyway

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Cats are desperate to add leg speed to their side, Petch simply gets added to the Cats deal?

Or he goes to the Saints who have $ to burn as well. Stevens goes to Cats plus our 1st and a 2nd?

Wouldnt discount North and Rawlings to coming knocking either. Or Carlton.
Cats wouldn't pay petracelle that big of a contract . They would also want him as steak knives.
We would be better of not dealing with the cats on petracelle

Back