Review Bontempelli magnificent but the Dogs fall short. Lions 98 d Bulldogs 80

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be very surprised if Bont or MacRae aren't in the votes, they were excellent. With two goals, 24 possessions, six legal tackles, 2 frees for and none against, in a crucial performance for the winning team, I would think Robinson would also be in the votes.
Bont was clearly BOG. Not even close

That’s such a slow, limited group. We desperately need some speed and goal kicking power, which is why I was so so keen on Wingard.

I really think jack martin can go up several levels in a team that wins the ball as much as we do. Really hope we get him.

Would love a Charlie Cameron type or a Walters from Freo. We seem to always get a real poor version of these types.

Found Bont’s comments in his post game interview interesting. Mentioned the frustration on getting on top in the midfield but not converting. Can’t say I blame him

I imagine Bont spends a lot of time frustrated. I see it on his face. Can't wait till he's captain. You wouldn't want to let him down.

I understand that aspect of the defensive side of things. Our game plan, risks, turnovers, fast breaks on the rebound etc. I think its more the fact stats have backed up that our defenders lose to many one on one duels, some in the lower ranks of the league. But even when the ball is turned over, there was one play in the second half where they got the ball back near our 50, kicked it long forward, the play where one of our boys jumped up to clear it, colliding with a Lions player, ball spilled out, ended in the Lions hands as our other player near by slipped over and the ball bounced to them. Now that's enough time to locate your man and get to him. When the Lions kicked it inside 50, our defenders were STILL METERS away from their opponent. That's what frustrates me is why on the slower breaks, we are still miles off our man. That's when it becomes unacceptable in my opinion.

There is plenty of reason to feel frustrated and disappointed, but there is also plenty of room for forgivenes for our defensive mistakes when you consider that prior to such 1 on 1 contests our defenders are normally up the ground trying to play their parts in our overall strategy, and have then had to turn around and run back to cover the turnovers.

Last night's loss was more due to some pathetic misses from short range shots on goal and bad turnovers going into the forward line. We might consider that our forwards or midfielders have run very hard just before, and been under pressure when they made their mistakes. Hence, we seem to be more understanding of these than our defensive stuff ups.

Hunter on the other hand has fallen off a cliff.

Hunter’s last two seasons have been pretty underwhelming IMO. Not sure what’s going on there

Bont was clearly BOG. Not even close
Clearly. But you only have to listen to the media commentators to see how it works, and that thinking has contaminated the umpires votes over the last decade or two.

Watching Tim English live was impressive. Covers the ground well and he’s one of the better contested marks for his size. Often those ruckmen can’t mark but he certainly can.

He’s going to be an elite player

Naughton bar his goal kicking is so delightful to watch. Speed to take marks on the lead and jump and leap for contested marks. His body positioning is great too.

Hunter’s last two seasons have been pretty underwhelming IMO. Not sure what’s going on there
He's pretty frustrating. And yet MC thought he was so underwhelming last year they awarded him the B&F. (It helped that he played every game, of course.)

His disposal shortcomings get exposed when we lose, so he's an easy target. Sometimes justifiably so, but he also does a lot of good things.

Like Caleb Daniel he gets to a lot of places other players don't because he's got the tank to do it and they don't. How often does it work out that he is NOT the one we want with ball in hand at that moment? For instance after a surge out of the back 50 he's frequently the one who has run hard and found space about 60 metres out, near the boundary line. Then unfortunately he's the one who has to execute that crucial pass inside 50.

Another thing that goes largely unnoticed is Hunter's evasive skills. He doesn't often get run down. I think he was near the top of the class in agility in his draft year. His turnovers come not so much from losing possession but from loose disposal (usually his kicking).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for this season to be over. Need a big list cleanout and start our next rebuild. Trengove, Wood, Cordy, Suckling, Dickson and Lloyd all gone please. If Suckling is still at the club next year I won't bother following football.
Over a two year period these most of these players will be cleaned out.

Can’t do it all in one hit.

His turnovers come not so much from losing possession but from loose disposal (usually his kicking).

It's his kicking style that annoys me more than anything else. Wish he'd just kick through the footy instead of those dinky chip passes he always tries.

I stand corrected, forgetting that Hunter won B&F last year, this season has been a little underwhelming for Hunter in comparison.

Why? It makes us a worse football team. Naughton had 10 marks (3 contested) and kicked 2.2 against one of the best defenders in the comp.

The idea of moving Naughton to defence is by itself incredibly short sighted, but the idea of replacing him up there with Cordy is just the creme de la creme of suggestions that would nosedive our already sputtering attack.

Naughton is only 19 and already leads the league in contested marks (!! Next youngest in the top 20 is Harry McKay, who is 21, no one else is under 24), is 8th in marks inside 50, averages over a goal a game and just had 14 touches, 10 marks (3 contested) and 2.2 (including a bad miss) against the consensus 22 year old AA FB. The second time he has convincingly beaten him this year.

He’s the KPF prospect we’ve been dreaming of since Grant and some people want to plop him at CHB so he can play as a rich man’s Easton Wood. It’s just unfathomable to me.

Cordy gets so much credit for doing even the most basic things half-well when he’s swung forward, but he’s a terrible contested mark (and occasionally even flubs chest marks), is a shonky kick, zero threat of out-bodying anyone close to goal and his only demonstrated skill is flailing into packs with no hope of ever actually taking a mark. People call that a defensive forward, but really almost any hack on an AFL list could do that. Playing forward against Freo in a side that kicked 12 first half goals in the first half he had 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 0 marks and 0 scoring scoring shots. And most of those kicks were when he shifted to defence during Q2.

Naughton is a young generational talent and unless the wheels completely fall off for him as a forward, he needs to stay there. Cordy is what he is and the team will be much better when he isn’t a walk up start any more.

Last edited:
The idea of moving Naughton to defence is by itself incredibly short sighted, but the idea of replacing him up there with Cordy is just the creme de la creme of suggestions that would nosedive our already sputtering attack.

Naughton is only 19 and already leads the league in contested marks (!! Next youngest in the top 20 is Harry McKay, who is 21, no one else is under 24), is 8th in marks inside 50, averages over a goal a game and just had 14 touches, 10 marks (3 contested) and 2.2 (including a bad miss) against the consensus 22 year old AA FB. The second time he has convincingly beaten him this year.

He’s the KPF prospect we’ve been dreaming of since Grant and some people want to plop him at CHB so he can play as a rich man’s Easton Wood. It’s just unfathomable to me.

Cordy gets so much credit for doing even the most basic things half-well when he’s swung forward, but he’s a terrible contested mark (and occasionally even flubs chest marks), is a shonky kick, zero threat of out-bodying anyone close to goal and his only demonstrated skill is flailing into packs with no hope of ever actually taking a mark. People call that a defensive forward, but really almost any hack on an AFL list could do that. Playing forward against Freo in a side that kicked 12 first half goals in the first half he had 4 kicks, 3 handballs, 0 marks and 0 scoring scoring shots. And most of those kicks were when he shifted to defence during Q2.

Naughton is a young generational talent and unless the wheels completely fall off for him as a forward, he needs to stay there. Cordy is what he is and the team will be much better when he isn’t a walk up start any more.

Agree, Tian. I liked what Cordy did against Freo and wouldn’t have minded if we saw against the Lions, but as it actually unfolded it wasn’t needed, we were the the butchers of Brisbane fwd of the centre and Cordy would’ve made zero difference.
The odd swing job from Cordy can be beneficial at times but as you say, he’s not a fwds a-hole.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back