Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How did we manage to concede on average 130 points a game in 2016?
We finished that season one point out of the top 10 most points against of all time behind Melbourne's 1981 season (2873 against to our 2872 against).

rangatangtang

Cancelled
Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
It would be an interesting ladder if instead of percentage ranking teams it was points for. Wonder if it would make teams more attacking and games better to watch.
Maybe do like they do in rugby and have bonus point for over a hundred differential ha . Need to sort out playing every team once before mucking around with anything though imo

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AND ONCE AGAIN O'BRIENS CATERING DID NOT HAVE ENOUGH BARS OPEN OR STAFF. LINE UPS WERE A DISGRACE. COULD NOT WALK AROUND THE GROUND AT HALF TIME DUE TO THE LONG LINES. DISGRACEFUL.
They are pathetic, food is overpriced and rubbish, they can’t make a decent coffee and last night was abysmal. Do they get the rights from Stadiums Queensland?

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You know we are back when you wander over to the Puppies board and read how much of a dog Mitch is by playing the game hard. Goodness me he even went after the fairest player in the league in Libba and missed him. Too much of the old mans DNA in young Libba for me.

Danny3

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Moreton Bay Lions
Agree, I’ll take the win but I could be a case of being spoilt lately but I don’t think it was a comprehensive win. Our attack at the man and ball at times was awesome but there were patches where they moved the ball way too easily.

Dogs are the number one team for D50 to F50 transition, and their midfield has been racking up ridiculous numbers all year. Thought our defence held up superbly considering.

I’m no mathematician, but interesting that both the Lions and Eagles are +245 points (difference between for and against), we have kicked more points, yet the Eagles have a higher percentage.:think:

Precisely because we have kicked more points. 245 is 14.7% of 1663, but 14.2% of 1730.

That was one fun replay to watch.

We certainly looked like a final calibre team and for 3.5/4 quarters we had their number.

In the presser, Fagan mentioned that the lapse in form happening at the same time as Zorko going off had to be a coincidence, but I don't buy it.

In the replay it wasn't as obvious, but at the ground it was clear as day our mids didn't transition and defend well and lacked the pressure we had earlier in the game. Zorko plays that defensive mid role so well that the moment we couldn't rotate him back on we were flustered and didn't plug the holes he fills.

Thankfully we have a good team and at 3QT they regrouped and won the contested stats and tackled incredibly well. We looked a lot more composed and played with intent to fill that void. It was a lapse, but it happens and it's a good lesson for the players to learn. They were faced with the sudden removal of the best defensive midfielder in the game and had to find a way. The whole group stepped up.

While Lyons and Neale weren't majorly influential, they both had some strong moments (Neales entire third and Lyons fourth) and applied a truckload of pressure (20 tackles and 61 pressure acts combined). Berry was very strong in the fourth and Robbo was a brute all game.

Great team effort and outside of that one blip was the type of game you'd expect out of a top four side.

It's so much harder to rejig structurally after an injury to a major cog without a much access to runners. It seems we have the answers but getting everyone on the same pace quickly is the hard part.

Jun 27, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We won on four extra scoring shots, and over ten more contested possessions for the game. Fagan has always emphasised that whoever wins contested possessions usually wins the game, and we did that again.

From just watching the game I wouldn’t have expected it, considering we lost clearances. My guess would be that although they got the clearance, we managed to win the second and third contest afterwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We won on four extra scoring shots, and over ten more contested possessions for the game. Fagan has always emphasised that whoever wins contested possessions usually wins the game, and we did that again.

From just watching the game I wouldn’t have expected it, considering we lost clearances. My guess would be that although they got the clearance, we managed to win the second and third contest afterwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
But if we get comprehensively beaten in centre clearances and inside 50's in finals against sides with elite key forwards like the Tigers and West Coast, it is likely to costs us even if we break even or win contested footy.

Losing clearances isn't that bad if we're tackling them or forcing a bad disposal due to high pressure. I think you'll find both this week and last week the difference in quality between our clearances and the oppositions was substantial.

Run and Russian roulette.
I love the fact that our entries inside 50 involve use of the CHAOS BALL! Places great pressure on defences and is hard to plan against. Alan Christensen has been a star in converting the CHAOS BALL and is in career best form.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Losing clearances isn't that bad if we're tackling them or forcing a bad disposal due to high pressure. I think you'll find both this week and last week the difference in quality between our clearances and the oppositions was substantial.

If we can win more though it would really help us gain territory.

Shudder at the thought of West Coasts forwardline getting heaps of chances against us from centre clearances.

If we can win more though it would really help us gain territory.

Shudder at the thought of West Coasts forwardline getting heaps of chances against us from centre clearances.
Yep, West Coast and Richmond will flog us if they dominate centre clearances with their key forwards.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Good stat from Fish:

Cam's bump on Johannisen was a season defining moment for him . Early in the year he wouldn't have made that bump but has run himself into fitness and is now able to cover more ground and make contests.

Another Robbo type on the ground will keep the opposition looking over their shoulder.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Cam's bump on Johannisen was a season defining moment for him . Early in the year he wouldn't have made that bump but has run himself into fitness and is now able to cover more ground and make contests.

Another Robbo type on the ground will keep the opposition looking over their shoulder.

It's a good point. He doesn't need to have 15 touches and kick 3 every week, he just needs to contribute and throw himself around physically to pressure the opposition.

Tassie4ever

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Been getting away with it for years now.

Commentators were wetting themselves tonight about the Dogs winning clearances and contested ball. They should win it ever week - they have 10 players around every contest. If the opposition gets it out the Dogs are in trouble as they have everyone committed to the contest.

As with the Swans, and now equally relevant the Dogs, if you can't beat them, join them. Just get rid of it quick by whatever means. Tick.

As many here have pointed out, a win is a win. And against a quality side let's not overlook, again as many have written.

But- worrying signs of a leaky defence. Will need to do better v higher rated sides.

Still, a win with lesser although still sound contributions from Lyons, Zorko, even Neale shows we have others who step up as needed. Always a sign of a maturing side.

I really look forward to the day someone decides to tag Robinson. That should be interesting. It shows how soft the modern game has become when Robbo gets hassled for a perfectly legitimate, albeit hard, tackle.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yep, West Coast and Richmond will flog us if they dominate centre clearances with their key forwards.
The Dogs clearances were quality enough but they ran around like headless chooks from the first entry.

We really need to clean up our clearance work and either win more or force another stoppage if we're to compete against teams with high quality forwards such as the Tiges and WC

patfullfankezz

Puhuhuhuhu!
Jul 28, 2011
Brisbane!
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat, Wigan Athletic
It's a good point. He doesn't need to have 15 touches and kick 3 every week, he just needs to contribute and throw himself around physically to pressure the opposition.

I love the idea of having a forward defender whose main goal is to scare the opposition defenders and help lock the ball into the forward 50.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Zorko's infulence this year as a our pressure mid cannot be understated.
Nor the fact we learnt from the Blues game.
Blues game Zorko gets a knee to the back.. we go from 37 points up to loosing
Dogs he hurts his hammy at 43 points up. Although we are calmer and stem the run.

Lyons, Berry, Clugga, Robbo and Neale both do a lot of close checking and pressure acts. not to the same level as Zorko.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Similar to McStay who does it in the air Rayner can cover ground level

Back