Delisted #32: Noah Gown - Not offered a contract for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep definitely impressive in patches today. Should play seniors this year.
Mate, he was impressive but he's clearly behind Brown, Smack, Stewart, Daniher, Bellchambers, Clarke and Draper for a spot in the side in comparable positions.

Yep definitely impressive in patches today. Should play seniors this year.

Like Eth said, we have a plethora of guys ready to play seniors in the KPF end, lets slow down on the desperation for our kids to play seniors. Plenty of time for him to come in.

If he is dominating then sure, but flash in the pan stuff shouldn't be rewarded.

He'll face what will probably be his toughest test for the year this weekend, up against Lachie Henderson. If he can snag 2 goals he'll have done his job.

So he hasn't been seen the past 3 games, no mention on the injury report in that time, and the only thing I've heard is from saladin from BB was that he sustained a leg injury of some kind against Casey with basically radio silence from the club. I mean that I get he's a first year project player but * me, why can't he at least crack a mention?

Oh, forget it. He's probably dead.

So he hasn't been seen the past 3 games, no mention on the injury report in that time, and the only thing I've heard is from saladin from BB was that he sustained a leg injury of some kind against Casey with basically radio silence from the club. I mean that I get he's a first year project player but **** me, why can't he at least crack a mention?

Oh, forget it. He's probably dead.
I think he’s listed as DOA on the injury report. So might be dead.

Not liking the shade that's getting thrown at him by a few on here. Yes, he's raw and needs to find more of the pill around the ground but if he kicks 3 more goals for the year he'll be one of 7 key forwards straight out from under 18's (not counting 19 year olds etc) since 2011 to kick 20+ goals in a VFL season in their first year on an AFL list. The others are Sam Weideman (25), Joe Daniher (29 from 8), Shane Kersten (38), Liam McBean (37), Liam Hullett (29) and Nick Larkey (21). Now obviously most of these didn't work out but that's not too bad for a young key forward. I personally think he'll catch Larkey and quite possibly Weideman if we make the Granny like he did.

Not liking the shade that's getting thrown at him by a few on here. Yes, he's raw and needs to find more of the pill around the ground but if he kicks 3 more goals for the year he'll be one of 7 key forwards straight out from under 18's (not counting 19 year olds etc) since 2011 to kick 20+ goals in a VFL season in their first year on an AFL list. The others are Sam Weideman (25), Joe Daniher (29 from 8), Shane Kersten (38), Liam McBean (37), Liam Hullett (29) and Nick Larkey (21). Now obviously most of these didn't work out but that's not too bad for a young key forward. I personally think he'll catch Larkey and quite possibly Weideman if we make the Granny like he did.
Have you not liked something that I've said? We all have our favourites around here, but I stand by my commentary on him. For someone playing in a very dominant team, needs to find more ways to stay involved for the entire game. Showed signs of improvement vs Sandringham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you not liked something that I've said? We all have our favourites around here, but I stand by my commentary on him. For someone playing in a very dominant team, needs to find more ways to stay involved for the entire game. Showed signs of improvement vs Sandringham.
You, Bruno and DPS all throw shade on him whether it's the fact he doesn't get involved enough or that choosing him over Bowman was a mistake. He has things to work on obviously but he's a key forward's equivalent of a newborn that's put together a first VFL season that is as good as Nick Larkey or Sam Weideman and even better than Mitch Lewis, who I rate as probably the best key forward under 23 in the comp. I'm hoping next year he can do something similar to Weideman or Lewis did and become a 12 touch, 5-6 mark and 2 goal a game forward in the VFL.

You, Bruno and DPS all throw shade on him whether it's the fact he doesn't get involved enough or that choosing him over Bowman was a mistake. He has things to work on obviously but he's a key forward's equivalent of a newborn that's put together a first VFL season that is as good as Nick Larkey or Sam Weideman and even better than Mitch Lewis, who I rate as probably the best key forward under 23 in the comp. I'm hoping next year he can do something similar to Weideman or Lewis did and become a 12 touch, 5-6 mark and 2 goal a game forward in the VFL.
Yeah, that's not 'throwing shade' though, it's openly identifying areas he needs to improve. I think we all (not that I really want to speak for DPS and Bruno) hope he can improve these areas and become a good career player. I get that you like him for the player you hope he will become. Although, right now (as I see it) he is comfortably outperformed by many others in the VFL side who are unanimously criticised for under performing.

Wait when did I throw shade? Personally think Bowman is a better prospect but I’m still happy with Gown and his progress this year

Yeah, that's not 'throwing shade' though, it's openly identifying areas he needs to improve. I think we all (not that I really want to speak for DPS and Bruno) hope he can improve these areas and become a good career player. I get that you like him for the player you hope he will become. Although, right now (as I see it) he is comfortably outperformed by many others in the VFL side who are unanimously criticised for under performing.
You said it was an ordinary 4 goal game on the weekend. Also I want to ask who you think that is?
Wait when did I throw shade? Personally think Bowman is a better prospect but I’m still happy with Gown and his progress this year
Maybe I'm misremembering but there were times I think you criticised him harshly. He and Bowman I think will be the FF/CHF combo for the VFL next year if we get Draper back early enough.

You said it was an ordinary 4 goal game on the weekend. Also I want to ask who you think that is?

Maybe I'm misremembering but there were times I think you criticised him harshly. He and Bowman I think will be the FF/CHF combo for the VFL next year if we get Draper back early enough.
Yep your certainly misremembering ;)

yeah, I think it was an ordinary 4 goal game, if there is such a thing. I used that terminology to describe that when he wasn't kicking goals, he wasn't having a lot of impact on the game. He has regularly struggled to break the 10 possession count, now, not that that is everything, but is symptomatic of him going unnoticed for large periods. I have also said that there is a lot of development needed but he showed some signs of improvement on the weekend (probably his best game I have seen this year).

Other players like Dea, Baguley and Long have been widely criticised by many on here. Yet have been better than Gown. Although that is not to say it will stay that way, but how it is now. Perhaps there are some stats that say otherwise, but my eyes see him behind a few. FWIW I was not overly impressed with Houlahan's game either.

edit: I will add, being critical of a player is a no-lose situation. Either the criticism is justified or he turns it around. Either way, there is some comfort to be taken from either scenario.
Yep you're certainly misremembering ;)
Has Gown changes his play since junior days? I mean, as a forward did he rely on his strength over other players, which is an advantage he that has been reduced by playing against bigger players. I remember the Suns were commenting on him in one of the draft day live-feeds so there was some interest from other clubs.

Last edited:
yeah, I think it was an ordinary 4 goal game, if there is such a thing. I used that terminology to describe that when he wasn't kicking goals, he wasn't having a lot of impact on the game. He has regularly struggled to break the 10 possession count, now, not that that is everything, but is symptomatic of him going unnoticed for large periods. I have also said that there is a lot of development needed but he showed some signs of improvement on the weekend (probably his best game I have seen this year).

Other players like Dea, Baguley and Long have been widely criticised by many on here. Yet have been better than Gown. Although that is not to say it will stay that way, but how it is now. Perhaps there are some stats that say otherwise, but my eyes see him behind a few. FWIW I was not overly impressed with Houlahan's game either.

edit: I will add, being critical of a player is a no-lose situation. Either the criticism is justified or he turns it around. Either way, there is some comfort to be taken from either scenario.

Has Gown changes his play since junior days? I mean, as a forward did he rely on his strength over other players, which is an advantage he that has been reduced by playing against bigger players. I remember the Suns were commenting on him in one of the draft day live-feeds so there was some interest from other clubs.
Strength was a strength but it wasn’t just that he relied on, had good leading patterns and pushed up the ground well to compete and not just really on out bodying players.

Strength was a strength but it wasn’t just that he relied on, had good leading patterns and pushed up the ground well to compete and not just really on out bodying players.
Vs Sandringham I thought he looked at his best when he did out-body his opponent in a marking contest. The lead in to the open space was also good. Particularly his up-the-ground work was where (IMHO) he has found the going tough.

Was apparently playing through illness for a couple of weeks prior to VFL round 18, kicked 4 goals in round 18 itself and was named for round 19 but then didn't play that week after all and wasn't mentioned at all this week (VFL R20).

Guessing he's sick or injured again?

He has improved since the start of the season. I have doubts on him having the 20 meters speed to get separation from the defenders but another pre season should see him a bit fitter again and able to push up the ground more often. To make it he will have to build that tank and become a work horse forward. He will not make it otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back