Autopsy Round 20, 2019: Adelaide v St.Kilda *DUNSTAN'S 100TH*

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thats categorically incorrect. He faded as the match went on, which was an indication of this lack of fitness from being brought back prematurely. Carlisle had the better of him for the first half and Lynch started impacted late in the third and mainly the 4th quarter.

Also had the better of Ben Brown the week after. Brown kicked three goals but he got a few of them from questionable free kicks. I remember the commentary team confirming that Carlisle was defending him really well but was unfortunate with some of the free kicks Brown was given. Yes, his best position is CHB but that doesn't mean he can't defend in one-on-one contests.

I don't quite get this whole 'coaches don't want him at FB' argument you're rolling with. He was playing full back until Battle got injured. Brown was the next best defender to come in, whose only position just happens to be FB which allowed Carlisle to move to his optimal position. Both have played well in the games since, so there hasn't been a need for any positional adjustments. If Brown is omitted in the next few weeks, Carlisle will be the one to go back to playing FB and Battle CHB. It's not that Ratten doesn't want him playing there, it's that the circumstances and player form have meant that positional change hasn't been needed.

If brown only came in because battle got injured, why is brown still in the team now battle is back?

You're saying because both brown and jake 'had been in good form'?

Do you expect brown to be dropped now we've played an actual top 8 team and suprise, suprise- our 'good form' (including jake and brown) against the dogs and melbourne is an illusion?

By your reasoning now the 'good form' excuse has disappeared- brown should be ommited with jake to FB right? Because brown only came in to cover battle.
And now battle is back (plus he played poorly out of position against the crows- all the more reason to put him back to chb right?)

(By the way- jake had an absolute shocker against the dees- how on earth you can conclude jakes game against the dees supports a theory that "Both have played well in the games since" is beyond me.)

He had an absolute mare- the horrible 2 goal free kick giveaway was just the cherry on top of a filthy game for him.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
If brown only came in because battle got injured, why is brown still in the team now battle is back?

You're saying because both brown and jake 'had been in good form'?

Do you expect brown to be dropped now we've played an actual top 8 team and suprise, suprise- our 'good form' (including jake and brown) against the dogs and melbourne is an illusion?

By your reasoning now the 'good form' excuse has disappeared- brown should be ommited with jake to FB right? Because brown only came in to cover battle.
And now battle is back (plus he played poorly out of position against the crows- all the more reason to put him back to chb right?)

(By the way- jake had an absolute shocker against the dees- how on earth you can conclude jakes game against the dees supports a theory that "Both have played well in the games since" is beyond me.)

He had an absolute mare- the horrible 2 goal free kick giveaway was just the cherry on top of a filthy game for him.
Brown retained his spot because of good form, both individually and from the backline collectively, as stated by Ratten in one of his press conferences. Brown was also excellent in the proceeding game against Tom Hawkins, so your comment about their form being an illusion and now exposed by playing a top 8 side is irrelevant and incorrect. His form has warranted staying in the side since he was playing well despite where our opposition was positioned on the ladder.

It looked as if Battle came in as an Acres replacement, and was played up on the wings for the first three quarters. That obviously didn't work, since Battle looked confused with his role and was making a lot more mistakes than he usually does. I predict the coaches want to keep giving games to Battle so I dont know what that means for Brown since I'm not quite sure what's happening with Fremantle's key forward situation. He could be omitted, or we could play one of Battle or Carlisle as a forward for the whole game.

Jake wasn't great individually against Melbourne - he really let Jordan Lewis get under his skin and the match-up really didn't suit him. But was pretty good in that last quarter when the game was on the line. But overall, the coaches would have been happy with how the backline worked as a unit and would have been reluctant to change such a key pillar in that.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Carlisle & McKenzie clearly beaten by Tex & Betts & as a result moved from the backline to the forward line. They were close to WOG along with a few of the first & second year players. If we are being serious about selection integrity & we feel the backline is too tall then Carlisle gets dropped.
Do we pick sides weekly though. I still think he had enough credits. And I don’t rate brown but that’s just me. McKenzie has no credits and will be dropped

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Do we pick sides weekly though. I still think he had enough credits. And I don’t rate brown but that’s just me. McKenzie has no credits and will be dropped

No we don’t. Brown has been better than Carlisle this year & they can’t be in the same team IMO. Both too slow. Brown a better defender & Carlisle has lost his offence prob partly due to his back op.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
No we don’t. Brown has been better than Carlisle this year & they can’t be in the same team IMO. Both too slow. Brown a better defender & Carlisle has lost his offence prob partly due to his back op.
Well I think you will be disappointed if you want Carlisle our because I can’t see it happening. We do have to drop a tall back though. Should have last week.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well I think you will be disappointed if you want Carlisle our because I can’t see it happening. We do have to drop a tall back though. Should have last week.

I won’t be disappointed because I’m not invested in the decision nearly enough. I think Brown is severely underrated though. He’s rarely been beaten all year. I think you need a rock down back as long as you take his kicking licence away.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Carlisle & McKenzie clearly beaten by Tex & Betts & as a result moved from the backline to the forward line. They were close to WOG along with a few of the first & second year players. If we are being serious about selection integrity & we feel the backline is too tall then Carlisle gets dropped.
Between myself and my favourite Mod, i can safely say we were clearly the best 2 WOGS on the night! 😏

Edit Special mention also to VDS 66! 😁 Was worthy of at least one vote!

Last edited:

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
A big 3 weeks coming up for Carlisle to see whether he still has the appetite for the contest and our club!

If not he is almost certain to be traded come season's end!
To be honest i am not that fussed either way! If he stays and can get back to his best then great
Otherwise he may well represent our best chance to snag ourselves a quality mid!

Just really wished we judged players primarily on execution and impact rather than effort and intensity. We aren't a local footy side, this is the pro's.

Correct. Effort and intensity should just be a given.

I won’t be disappointed because I’m not invested in the decision nearly enough. I think Brown is severely underrated though. He’s rarely been beaten all year. I think you need a rock down back as long as you take his kicking licence away.

Yeah, I haven't been his biggest fan but he's had a great year, he looks fitter than he's ever been and looks quicker even.

kernelT

Can go any club
Aug 15, 2010
Chiraq
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Louis Slungpue
Really don’t see the point of a player like brown running around with a 19 year old, 10 gamer... whilst only getting 4 kicks himself. Who cares if he beat a player who has been in the SANFL all year.

His only weapon is stopping key forwards and then he doesn’t even take the only one on the ground.

I think brown has been good this year but is overrated on here a lot.

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Really don’t see the point of a player like brown running around with a 19 year old, 10 gamer... whilst only getting 4 kicks himself. Who cares if he beat a player who has been in the SANFL all year.

His only weapon is stopping key forwards and then he doesn’t even take the only one on the ground.

I think brown has been good this year but is overrated on here a lot.

On 2019 form he’s comfortably our best tall defender. Carlisle was putrid on Saturday night. He was embarrassed by an out of form burn out.

Sir Skid

Just one Kegs lady boys!
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Ex-Moderator St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2016
Nov 30, 2012
Behind you
AFL Club
St Kilda
2 AFL coaches disagree with you- both richo and now ratten play brown ahead of jake at FB.
They tried jake at FB when he first came back into the team... and swiftly brought brown back in
Carlisle still looks proppy from the back surgery to me. Given this he's going ok really.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Yeah, I haven't been his biggest fan but he's had a great year, he looks fitter than he's ever been and looks quicker even.

He's not the future. Neither is Jake, as much as I hate the thought of losing him. The only thing that compensates is the thought of gaining a physical freak like Ben King. A glimpse of what to expect from Winx.

I remember Bevo setting us all straight after Kosi won the Rising Star in his first year. Wait untill you see what that weird German kid can do. Better than Ditterich.*

*Bevo didn't generally like us Germans. Kosi and Roo changed his mind. Thought we were all weird Lutherans. Warmed to me slightly when I told him I'd been educated at St.Bede's and I'd played alongside Healy (sainter) and Kellett!

Gerard's dad, Des, ran the Social Club quite successfully at the time. Pity the funds weren't used to help the footy club.

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's not the future. Neither is Jake, as much as I hate the thought of losing him. The only thing that compensates is the thought of gaining a physical freak like Ben King. A glimpse of what to expect from Winx.

I remember Bevo setting us all straight after Kosi won the Rising Star in his first year. Wait untill you see what that weird German kid can do. Better than Ditterich.*

*Bevo didn't generally like us Germans. Kosi and Roo changed his mind. Thought we were all weird Lutherans. Warmed to me slightly when I told him I'd been educated at St.Bede's and I'd played alongside Healy (sainter) and Kellett!

Gerard's dad, Des, ran the Social Club quite successfully at the time. Pity the funds weren't used to help the footy club.
Yank Crafti Benevolent Fund DH?

malevu

Club Legend
Nov 1, 2013
Animal Enclosure
AFL Club
St Kilda
Carlisle still looks proppy from the back surgery to me. Given this he's going ok really.
Finally some common sense. Everyone bagged Lynch at the start of the season, forgetting that he missed his preseason and was coming of a significant injury. Look at him now.

Similarly, Carlisle had no preseason and missed the first half of the year. No doubt he was rushed back because of our injury crisis. He still seems way of full fitness to me and it's showing with his form.

Give him a full preseason next year and I'll be surprised if he doesn't get back to his best. Personally, I don't want to see that at another club. Those here that do have far more faith in our Club's trading ability and nouse than I do.

May 6, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda

Jakes never played well 1 on 1 though.

Brown has played full back for years instead of jake pre back injury for exactly this reason.
Jake is ordinary 1 on 1 and of far more use in an attacking role off the half backline.

How or why this is magically going to change next year is beyond me.

You guys are defying years of hard evidence in saying jake can/will replace brown at FB.
Sure it looks possible on paper- jakes a 200cm defender.
But it completely falls over when you actually watch the way jake plays.

He's moved off the ball super easily and is completely redundant in any contest once the ball hits the ground.
Hardly desirable attributes for an accountable defender.
Don't listen to me though- listen to the 2 AFL coaches (actually 3 if you count hird) that don't think he's a FB either.

Last edited:

It didn't look proppy to me, looked lazy and disinterested.

Back