Rd 20 Preview / Discussion (dedicated to SavDog23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good post AB and can totally relate.

Since running out of trades weeks ago, I felt I had a solid team with decent depth for the run home. Despite the ensuing weekly carnage I’ve watched teams with donuts easily outscore my full squad, my PODs now failing whilst those I root against weekly (eg Bont Oliver ZWilliams etc) continually firing which has subsequently resulted in a ranking slip from 41st > 256th in a matter of weeks. The thrill of being in position for a serious tilt at the top has quickly evaporated to now just feeling meh and struggling to hold a top 500 finish, which in essence is a great result but I just can’t help but feel disappointed from where I was.

Still 3 weeks to go I know but I’m already looking ahead to 2020. I miss the weekly head farq of trades!

Ill prob end up with my best ever finish which is nowhere near good as yours but i feel the same after being 2.9k 4 weeks ago, ive had 4 consecutive ranking drops with not terrible scores which sucks coz i got my hopes up that i could finish strong as my team was good on paper but hasnt performed. Never been that high so didnt know how hard it was to maintain ranking at the pointy end of the season.

I probably shouldn't have burnt my last trade on Ryan > Houli, particularly with Lycett dropped (he must be sore, at least that's what I'm hoping) because my R2 is RO'B who could be dropped at any time, which leaves me eating donuts.

I probably shouldn't have burnt my last trade on Ryan > Houli, particularly with Lycett dropped (he must be sore, at least that's what I'm hoping) because my R2 is RO'B who could be dropped at any time, which leaves me eating donuts.
I'll be shocked if Lycett is back this week. I think he was dropped on form or just a couple incidents that caught the coaching staff's attention that they didn't like.

Port will go unchanged imo, and they'll win again vs the Swans, so Lycett won't play again this year, or maybe in round 23

I hope I'm wrong and he's back this weekend

I'll be shocked if Lycett is back this week. I think he was dropped on form or just a couple incidents that caught the coaching staff's attention that they didn't like.

Port will go unchanged imo, and they'll win again vs the Swans, so Lycett won't play again this year, or maybe in round 23

I hope I'm wrong and he's back this weekend
Bit of chatter on their board about losing Ryder/Dixon...he did get a knock on the knee a couple of games back.

Howdy guys, thought I'd pop in and say hai.

Have pretty much stopped caring about my team the last few weeks with the Hurn donut and even with him back Logue and Clarke are so useless at D6 and M8 that it's like playing with a donut anyways. :(

Didn't even win a league game on the weekend out of my 10 leagues as I only scored 2301.

My overall has dropped to 4000 odd now. I only just checked it this week as I knew it wouldn't be good. I am gutted!

Just been wondering why I put myself through all this s**t. The last 2 seasons have ended horrible for me. This game really gives me the shits.

Just want the next 3 weeks over and done with to be honest. So disappointing to be top 4 in all my 10 leagues till round 17 or so and in top 1000 only for it to all fall apart.

Same s**t happened last year too. 2 years in a row is just a kick in the guts.

Having said all that I'll probably come back next season but it won't be worth it unless I still have 4 or so trades left still at this stage...

Last edited:

Have pretty much stopped carrying about my team the last few weeks with the Hurn donut and even with him back Logue and Clarke are so useless at D6 and M8 that it's like playing with a donut anyways. :(

Didn't even win a league game on the weekend out of my 10 leagues as I only scored 2301.

My overall has dropped to 4000 odd now. I only just checked it this week as I knew it wouldn't be good. I am gutted!

Just been wondering why I put myself through all this s**t. The last 2 seasons have ended horrible for me. This game really gives me the s**ts.

Just want the next 3 weeks over and done with to be honest. So disappointing to be top 4 in all my 10 leagues till round 17 or so and in top 1000 only for it to all fall apart.

Having said all that I'll probably come back next season but it won't be worth it unless I still have 4 or so trades left still at this stage...
Hai dude....nice to see ya

I'm waiting for the autopsy thread so I can post my trades history up so peeps can bag the * out me. Reckon it'd be good for you too. I'm only a noob in here, but I've enjoyed your banter throughout the year and have looked forward to your posts

Have pretty much stopped carrying about my team the last few weeks with the Hurn donut and even with him back Logue and Clarke are so useless at D6 and M8 that it's like playing with a donut anyways. :(

Just been wondering why I put myself through all this s**t. The last 2 seasons have ended horrible for me. This game really gives me the s**ts.

I feel the emotion in this post. At this stage of the year its kinda easy to be negative and wonder what the point of playing is. The only thing i can recommend is to try and make a change for next season. For me, i think im just going to go full unique and mid-priced madness and just try to re-capture the fun of the game. I might change my trading strategy as well but yeah i know at this time of year its easy to wonder 'why do i do this?' but the answer is really that its a fun game, whatever makes it fun to you is the 'path' you should follow. I try not to be super competitive and i think next season i will try to be even less so. Its easy to say that at this time and then be super into it at the start of next season but i really think the best thing about this game is not necessarily achieving a top ranking, its about enjoying footy. I will try to have a 'healthier' relationship with SC next season. I mean im sure ill forget all about this post by the time next season rolls around but i will try to embrace a new philosophy instead of worrying about ranking and all that. I mean im pretty s**t even when i worry about ranking so might as well just try to forget about that and go with my gut. I don't want this game to occupy as much of my time as it currently does so ill do my best to recapture the essence of what makes this game fun. Hope this helps

This year I decided to stop looking at match ups during the round and just look at my actual score from the select your team section. It has vastly improved game enjoyment as I can get pretty angry at results. I'll only look at league scores at the end of the round and be disappointed by losses or happy by wins. I just roll my eyes at the losses and move on and then come post abusive things about s**t players in here which makes me feel that so much better..

We can control some form of this game but I've come to realise that we can't control everything. Yes, it's good having trades around this stage of the year but it's too much fun using them during the year. Uncontrollable things like injuries, and spudly scores are all part and parcel of playing.

Chin up JM, you have a supportive bunch of funny kents here to keep the laughs going through the year.

* Supercoach off and just post s**t on the board about random things. Just think that you've done a whole lot better than Gold Coast with the same amount of money.

Hai dude....nice to see ya

I'm waiting for the autopsy thread so I can post my trades history up so peeps can bag the fu** out me. Reckon it'd be good for you too. I'm only a noob in here, but I've enjoyed your banter throughout the year and have looked forward to your posts

Thanks mate.

Thing is most of my trades have been pretty good.

I traded out Dunkley, Fyfe and Hore and back in again but had my reasons so not explaining them again.

Impey was my worst pick ever that I used 1 of my last 2 trades on. Just wish I never went there in the end!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha...I was in and out with Hore too (cost me a bit). Dunkley had to go early too. Can understand the Impey trade, going for cover. I kept Moore all year, planning to use as my def/fwd cover....he got injured too, had to trade to Silvagni.

I feel the emotion in this post. At this stage of the year its kinda easy to be negative and wonder what the point of playing is. The only thing i can recommend is to try and make a change for next season. For me, i think im just going to go full unique and mid-priced madness and just try to re-capture the fun of the game. I might change my trading strategy as well but yeah i know at this time of year its easy to wonder 'why do i do this?' but the answer is really that its a fun game, whatever makes it fun to you is the 'path' you should follow. I try not to be super competitive and i think next season i will try to be even less so. Its easy to say that at this time and then be super into it at the start of next season but i really think the best thing about this game is not necessarily achieving a top ranking, its about enjoying footy. I will try to have a 'healthier' relationship with SC next season. I mean im sure ill forget all about this post by the time next season rolls around but i will try to embrace a new philosophy instead of worrying about ranking and all that. I mean im pretty s**t even when i worry about ranking so might as well just try to forget about that and go with my gut. I don't want this game to occupy as much of my time as it currently does so ill do my best to recapture the essence of what makes this game fun. Hope this helps

Yeah might do the same next year and pick a few more uniques and go more mid price madness.

I was close to going mid price madness this year but chickened out.

I think next year I need to change a few things like making sure I have trades left during finals as not having any left at this stage has really come to bite me on the arse 2 years running now!

Not only that though but I have only 1 bench player playing (Hately) I can't remember a year where my benches have been this bad.

Haha...I was in and out with Hore too (cost me a bit). Dunkley had to go early too. Can understand the Impey trade, going for cover. I kept Moore all year, planning to use as my def/fwd cover....he got injured too, had to trade to Silvagni.

I traded Hore to Petrol so I could have a money making rookie. There was no sign that Hore would be back anytime soon when he got dropped so I don't feel bad about that trade.

Silvagni is looking good now. Kinda hurts seeing do so well though sc wise when I picked Impey who was a D\F too.

I’m feeling the pain of late with a lot of you guys. This weekend was nearly the last straw.

I feel like I’ve got a really solid team but each week players just keep letting me down when it counts the most. I’ve missed my projection by over 200 points the last 2-3 weeks from Saturday night to Sunday.

Instead of looking like climbing the ranking even more I’ve only stayed where I am and lost ranking this weekend.

Most games I’ve lost lately are to teams who have scored well above projections and over 2500.

This year I decided to stop looking at match ups during the round and just look at my actual score from the select your team section. It has vastly improved game enjoyment as I can get pretty angry at results. I'll only look at league scores at the end of the round and be disappointed by losses or happy by wins. I just roll my eyes at the losses and move on and then come post abusive things about s**t players in here which makes me feel that so much better..

We can control some form of this game but I've come to realise that we can't control everything. Yes, it's good having trades around this stage of the year but it's too much fun using them during the year. Uncontrollable things like injuries, and spudly scores are all part and parcel of playing.

Chin up JM, you have a supportive bunch of funny kents here to keep the laughs going through the year.

fu** Supercoach off and just post s**t on the board about random things. Just think that you've done a whole lot better than Gold Coast with the same amount of money.

Most of the season I think I'm ok in terms of not letting this game piss me off too much as I've always been able to trade myself out of trouble if s**t hit the fan.

Being honest with myself I just don't think I've got the balance right with trading which seems to have come back to bite me on the arse 2 years in a row now.

I'm just in too much of a hurry to complete my team so maybe I am moving rookies on too quickly. I dunno...

All I know is that I need to overhaul my game plan next year. It clearly isn't good enough to last a season of sc anymore.

I find it no use making top 4 in nearly all my leagues only 2 get bundled out in straight sets again due to injuries and no trades. My overall plummeting is just the s**t stain on the cake.

Investing so much in this game all year only for it to all turn to s**t really is a kick in the balls.

Not going to let it happen again even if it means going to the outback on holidays for the first 7 weeks of sc so I can't get an internet signal and trade.

Most of the season I think I'm ok in terms of not letting this game piss me off too much as I've always been able to trade myself out of trouble if s**t hit the fan.

Being honest with myself I just don't think I've got the balance right with trading which seems to have come back to bite me on the arse 2 years in a row now.

I'm just in too much of a hurry to complete my team so maybe I am moving rookies on too quickly. I dunno...

All I know is that I need to overhaul my game plan next year. It clearly isn't good enough to last a season of sc anymore.

I find it no use making top 4 in nearly all my leagues only 2 get bundled out in straight sets again due to injuries and no trades. My overall plummeting is just the s**t stain on the cake.

Investing so much in this game all year only for it to all turn to s**t really is a kick in the balls.

Not going to let it happen again even if it means going to the outback on holidays for the first 7 weeks of sc so I can't get an internet signal and trade.
You’re a credit to this board. When an autopsy thread does open, it would be good to analyse your trades so you can avoid running out so early next year. You probably only needed a couple extra up your sleeve to keep you competitive until the end.

You’re a credit to this board. When an autopsy thread does open, it would be good to analyse your trades so you can avoid running out so early next year. You probably only needed a couple extra up your sleeve to keep you competitive until the end.

I reckon most of my trades have been solid this year which is the sad thing.

Still I'm happy to put my trading history down so people can give me constructive critisisim that I can use for next season.

Cheers mate.

I reckon most of my trades have been solid this year which is the sad thing.

Still I'm happy to put my trading history down so people can give me constructive critisisim that I can use for next season.

Cheers mate.
Too many sideways trades man. I know at the time it looked like a good move because it allowed you to get that in form premo you didn't have, but looking at it from a long term perspective, it's what's hurting you now. Look more long term and back your premos for a few more weeks.

Try a new approach next year since it's killed you a couple years in a row now. Hold your premos, focus on filling your team with premos/getting rookies off field, then you can luxury trade later with your trades left.

You're a gun coach and we all love you, next year will be a big one for you!

Too many sideways trades man. I know at the time it looked like a good move because it allowed you to get that in form premo you didn't have, but looking at it from a long term perspective, it's what's hurting you now. Look more long term and back your premos for a few more weeks.

Try a new approach next year since it's killed you a couple years in a row now. Hold your premos, focus on filling your team with premos/getting rookies off field, then you can luxury trade later with your trades left.

You're a gun coach and we all love you, next year will be a big one for you!

Dunkley and Fyfe were the only 2 sideway premos I traded out though.

Fyfe I probably should have kept as he was only out injured for 1 week but Dunkley was stinking it up due to Bevo playing him forward. Probably should have stuck it out with him but who knew when Bevo would put him back in the guts? Trading Dunkley let me bring in Whitfield so I don't think I really have any regrets there. Fyfe to Boak also a win but could have waited later to get him in I guess.

A new approach is definitely on the cards though. I can admit that my strategy just isn't working anymore.

Cheers for the kind words mate. If the last 2 seasons don't inspire me to change and do better next year then I don't know what will. Might just be the kick up the arse I needed.

Hey boys, not sure how many of you remember our old mate Paige, you know, SC Paige, self proclaimed GOAT, knows nothing about footy or even SC. Anyway, she has dipped her toe into the music industry, hopefully you can all last longer than 1:34 seconds.

Dunkley and Fyfe were the only 2 sideway premos I traded out though.

Fyfe I probably should have kept as he was only out injured for 1 week but Dunkley was stinking it up due to Bevo playing him forward. Probably should have stuck it out with him but who knew when Bevo would put him back in the guts? Trading Dunkley let me bring in Whitfield so I don't think I really have any regrets there. Fyfe to Boak also a win but could have waited later to get him in I guess.

A new approach is definitely on the cards though. I can admit that my strategy just isn't working anymore.

Cheers for the kind words mate. If the last 2 seasons don't inspire me to change and do better next year then I don't know what will. Might just be the kick up the arse I needed.
FWIW I held Dunkley (thank *) Trading him out when he still had value and back in when his value dropped (and output increased) is OK I guess, but I've watched how guys are going about things this year and some have held Brayshaw all year and he's now M9/M10 cover for those coaches, which is handy at the end of the day. Plus there's the opportunity cost of using a trade that could have been used otherwise to improve a team, ie; Rookie corrections. As well as the risk that when Premo > Premo trade is used the Premo that's brought in could get injured, Fyfe > Whitfield being the case in point. I'm not trying to preach here, it's just my take on things.

Starting squad is the most important thing in this game as well as trading in the right rookies and Premos. Trading or not trading out an underperforming Premo can make or break a season too. So many variables. Impossible to get them all correct, just need to minimise risk and jump on a winner.

I have a large list of mistakes, both trade outs, trade ins, non-trade ins and non-trades outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back