Moved Thread Hawthorn "sucking Tasmania dry" ... calls for them to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
No doubt there is growth in all the areas you mentioned mate I’m purely talking about tv ratings- viewership was responding to a post were it was mentioned tv viewership was one of the main kpi for expansion you can google the ratings if you wish !

Viewers was one of the areas I mentioned.

No need to Google I know the numbers. There is growth.

I'm sure they do have a time frame to hit targets.
I doubt any of us know what they are.

The only time frames I've seen since day dot, even before then, has been it's a generational plan of 20 to 30 years.

They have been upfront and honest about that from the get go.

and if it takes a generation if it would be worth it. If a fraction of the amount invested in this plan in Tas a team would be well and truly established

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
and if it takes a generation if it would be worth it. If a fraction of the amount invested in this plan in Tas a team would be well and truly established
Absolutely would.
From all reports the tv deals and growth in grassroots means that both expansion clubs have paid for themselves. According to the AFL and club heads.

As for tassie its Possible, even likely but there are no definates in this world.

Tassie has nothing to do with the Giants or Suns. Just allows some fishbowlers to take cheap shots.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
No doubt there is growth in all the areas you mentioned mate I’m purely talking about tv ratings- viewership was responding to a post were it was mentioned tv viewership was one of the main kpi for expansion you can google the ratings if you wish !
The AFLs money comes mainly from TV rights
More viewers more money a Tassie team isnt going to create more viewers was my argument

Last edited:

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I suggest you do have a look mate Don’t know what numbers you have seen ? like I said there have been growth in a lot of areas but there has absolutely not been any growth in tv viewership!
I think it was 61K FTA for the battle of the bridges
I imagine Brizzy is doing well on TV too I think around 50K Suns are about 20 but thats understandable

Absolutely would.
From all reports the tv deals and growth in grassroots means that both expansion clubs have paid for themselves. According to the AFL and club heads.

As for tassie its Possible, even likely but there are no definates in this world.

Tassie has nothing to do with the Giants or Suns. Just allows some fishbowlers to take cheap shots.

Yes absolutely agree with the last line not sure about the rest!

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Talking of Tv audiences concerning the Giants:

2016 Foxtel Audience Bulldogs V Giants PF: 534,000

2017 Foxtel Audience Richmond V Giants PF: 552,000 (highest ever AFL Foxtel audience)

2nd highest preliminary final TV audience match in history Giants V Bulldogs: 2,387,000.

They’ve already paid for their existence.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Talking of Tv audiences concerning the Giants:

2016 Foxtel Audience Bulldogs V Giants PF: 534,000

2017 Foxtel Audience Richmond V Giants PF: 552,000 (highest ever AFL Foxtel audience)

2nd highest preliminary final TV audience match in history Giants V Bulldogs: 2,387,000.

They’ve already paid for their existence.
Were talking about comparing whole seasons not comparing one game to one game the following season and of course a final is going to rate well😂

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Rated 1k less on foxfooty than your mob this weekend.

An 8 year old club and Saints have been around how long again?
you don’t comprehend things to well do you when we’re talking ratings re expansion we’re talking about what the ratings were in nsw for afl Pryor to gws entering the competition and the years after gws entered the afl for whole seasons not 1 GAME you compare the numbers before they entered and after they entered do you understand that??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I

I don’t think you understand what I’m trying to say mate anyway did I see you posted gws average crowds of 12000 to home games? That’s absolutely atrocious if true !
While it's not great, it will continue to grow.

We don't get half a dozen derbies a year to boost our crowds.

You really get lost on the whole "generational plan" concept don't you.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
The AFLs money comes mainly from TV rights
More viewers more money a Tassie team isnt going to create more viewers was my argument
Yeah I understand what you’re mean re afl and tv rights money and Tasmania but in saying that the tv numbers have not improved in nsw and Queensland since expansion yet either and the cost of setting up and operating a club in Tasmania for the afl would be tiny compared to giants and the suns!

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
While it's not great, it will continue to grow.

We don't get half a dozen derbies a year to boost our crowds.

You really get lost on the whole "generational plan" concept don't you.
I hope they do grow for your sake I don’t know what you’re stadium deal is like I could be wrong but you would think crowds that size would be struggling to even cover operational costs for the ground do you guys have a social club there I know the leagues clubs are very good earners for the nrl clubs over there it might be something gws need to get into for extra income!

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I hope they do grow for your sake I don’t know what you’re stadium deal is like I could be wrong but you would think crowds that size would be struggling to even cover operational costs for the ground do you guys have a social club there I know the leagues clubs are very good earners for the nrl clubs over there it might be something gws need to get into for extra income!
They will. There's a reason why it was always generational.
The grassroots growth is there and if we can stay at least competing for finals we will get the locked in fans for the bad times.

Club has already said we will not be getting into pokies.

Wouldn't mind a clubhouse and the precinct could definitely use one.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

a Tasmanian team would be modelled on successful regional clubs such as Geelong in the AFL and the NRL’s North Queensland Cowboys.

“We’ve been told that the state’s too small, it’s been a story we’ve heard in perpetuity and not just me but the whole team acknowledges that that’s just such a furphy,” Mr Godfrey said.

“We can look at other sports like Townsville in the NRL — a very successful club with 15,000 people a game and they’ve got 178,000 population — and Geelong has 250,000 people and nine premierships.”

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Strange reference points…

Geelong benefit from being 75km to the Melbourne CBD and have wide footprint throughout provincial Victoria, and even the outer western suburbs of Melbourne (in fact there is probably a population base of 2 million people within a 150km / 200km radius of downtown Geelong.

Notwithstanding Geelong is a 160 year old club with strong foundations in the VFA, VFL and now AFL with a national fan base.

Hardly comparable to a Tasmanian start up, unless Tasmania was looking to join the VFL in 1897

As for the Cowboys, not only are NRL clubs much cheaper to operate than AFL clubs (in terms of revenue the largest NRL club turns over the equivalent of the 12th AFL club) but the Cowboys themselves are in financial ruin…

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/2b96405aa43163d91b942579c14d4414

What a pox comparison…

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
I
Strange reference points…

Geelong benefit from being 75km to the Melbourne CBD and have wide footprint throughout provincial Victoria, and even the outer western suburbs of Melbourne (in fact there is probably a population base of 2 million people within a 150km / 200km radius of downtown Geelong.

Notwithstanding Geelong is a 160 year old club with strong foundations in the VFA, VFL and now AFL with a national fan base.

Hardly comparable to a Tasmanian start up, unless Tasmania was looking to join the VFL in 1897

As for the Cowboys, not only are NRL clubs much cheaper to operate than AFL clubs (in terms of revenue the largest NRL club turns over the equivalent of the 12th AFL club) but the Cowboys themselves are in financial ruin…

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...e/news-story/2b96405aa43163d91b942579c14d4414

What a pox comparison…
its ironic it’s always hawthorn supporters talking down Tasmania’s chances of getting a team you guys were broke when you started playing games down here we are one of the major reasons you guys are now in the financial position you are I know Kennett and co are trying every trick in the book to get a new deal but your golden goose will be coming to a end in a couple of years 😁

Remove this Banner Ad

Back