Taylor Walker... how's he going?

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
No idea if Tex has or hasn't got a tear of his MCL. Could be play if he did ? Maybe, depending how many of the ligaments tore and with some tight strapping. He wouldn't be able to generate much power though so tackling would be fairly hampered and hand balls wouldn't go as far. Marking should be ok.

Given the MCL is made up of a number of ligaments if I was a betting man I'd say one of these could have torn right off and not all of them, making it a grade 1 tear.

I'm just googling here though

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Walker has a different level of scrutiny.

He is every bit the player Jack Reiwolt is, without the Victoria team to play for.

Jack is considered a lot higher than Walker.

Unfortunately our capitulation in the GF is the reason.

Walker is 29, hes got probably 4 years left, hopefully he gets the Fog support he needs

Are you high

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Tex was only saying what most people know and agree, kyrgios is a discrace the way he spits the dummy, what about the crap that comes out of his mouth? And you call tex arrogant, I wish everyone in Australia told Kyrgios how much of a discrace and wasted talent he was. And who cares if people know Kyrgios more than Tex? Are you Victorian?

Get with the times mate, apart from Simmons, Nick is Australia’s most box office international athlete.

Walker has a different level of scrutiny.

He is every bit the player Jack Reiwolt is, without the Victoria team to play for.

Jack is considered a lot higher than Walker.

Unfortunately our capitulation in the GF is the reason.

Walker is 29, hes got probably 4 years left, hopefully he gets the Fog support he needs

Jack Riewoldt is a 3x Coleman Medal winner and has kicked more than 50 goals a season 8 times, compared to Walker's 3 times

Riewoldt is a much better player

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Jack Riewoldt is a 3x Coleman Medal winner and has kicked more than 50 goals a season 8 times, compared to Walker's 3 times

Colemans are great, for the goal kicker.

No suprise he didn't kick as many in '17 when he was doing more team orientated things.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh is that what you were saying?

That was a direct response to someone saying he had a complete tear of the medial ligament of the elbow.

I reckon I nailed the context don't you think?
Can you just stop it with these smart alec comments. Just say what you think is happening to Tex, instead of going round abouts with ligaments versus tendons...that is just petty rubbish.

Do you think there is a tear or not?

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
No idea if Tex has or hasn't got a tear of his MCL. Could be play if he did ? Maybe, depending how many of the ligaments tore and with some tight strapping. He wouldn't be able to generate much power though so tackling would be fairly hampered and hand balls wouldn't go as far. Marking should be ok.

Given the MCL is made up of a number of ligaments if I was a betting man I'd say one of these could have torn right off and not all of them, making it a grade 1 tear.

I'm just googling here though
So you reckon they'd risk Tex if there was a tear, knowing that it could get worse?

Also I don't agree on the "marking should be ok" if it was a significant strain/tear. Grip strength would be affected a great deal with any significant elbow strains. I couldn't hold a racquet with full grip for 2 weeks with a past tennis elbow.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

You can argue Riewoldt didn't have any other dominant forwards hogging his goals.
Tex had JJ and Betts to split the goal sharing, and our forward entries were multi-focal.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Walker also plays CHF.

Not many CHFs win the Coleman. Jack is an incredible footballer and I don't have Tex quite at his level as a pure goalkicker, but he's been very very good over his career.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So you reckon they'd risk Tex if there was a tear, knowing that it could get worse?

Also I don't agree on the "marking should be ok" if it was a significant strain/tear. Grip strength would be affected a great deal with any significant elbow strains. I couldn't hold a racquet with full grip for 2 weeks with a past tennis elbow.
Tennis elbow relates to the inflammation of the tendon, which connects to the muscle. It plays a primary role in contraction of the joint. Given it is a wear and tear injury there is no choice but to rest.

A ligament connects bone, to bone and functions primarily for stability, not strength.

So, there is a big difference in function depending on whether it is a tendon vs a ligament.

You know how some people can continue to play with a completely torn posterior cruciate ligament, it's the same thing. The knee though is a weight bearing joint which makes it even more difficult to play on when the ligaments are torn.

Is it possible that Tex has torn 1 of the 3 MCLs, yes absolutely.

Just my humble opinion though, I wouldn't want to question a medical expert.

Aug 21, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

Would have thought grip strength would be one of your fortes

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tennis elbow relates to the inflammation of the tendon, which connects to the muscle. It plays a primary role in contraction of the joint. Given it is a wear and tear injury there is no choice but to rest.

A ligament connects bone, to bone and functions primarily for stability, not strength.

So, there is a big difference in function depending on whether it is a tendon vs a ligament.

You know how some people can continue to play with a completely torn posterior cruciate ligament, it's the same thing. The knee though is a weight bearing joint which makes it even more difficult to play on when the ligaments are torn.

Is it possible that Tex has torn 1 of the 3 MCLs, yes absolutely.

Just my humble opinion though, I wouldn't want to question a medical expert.
Wow, you’re so good at using Google!

I know the difference between a ligament and a tendon. I was talking on principles between a strain and a tear. Usually a strain, you can play the following week, of the mild variety. Whereas usually with a tear, one needs to rest, ideally absolute rest.

We’re not talking about day to day basic activities, we’re talking about a big forward who needs to bump into bodies and go full stretch of the arms going for marks. There is a genuine risk of aggravation if an elbow tear is present, be it ligament or tendon.

In your professional opinion, how many people would be recommended to play full on contact sports if known to have a ligament/tendon tear?

And how many people can play better with a supposed elbow tear than their average game without an actual injury (Tex kicked 4.3).

Whilst you’re at it, I’m looking forward to your expert opinion on the ice vs no ice protocols:

subaru

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bay 13: Flog of the Year
Nov 14, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't want to play port in the finals. If they get their act together and win the next three games. They actually can win finals.

They've been trying a number of different combinations up Forward and in the Middle, looking for something. It's brave stuff in this Conservative business world of afl. Thier selections show Nobody is safe. If youngsters put in week after week of solid sanfl footy, the moment a star player is down more than 2 games in a row, he's dropped.

They have A plan a b c and d. Multiple different combinations. They have forwards who can rip games apart. They have a couple of good players to return. Two Home games before finals.

The finals Series will be better off for them in it.

Keep it up Rooch
Essendon had absolutely no defence
Port went tall - Bombers were short people
Dixon still is not performing but hey - he’s great at “bringing the ball to the ground “ - in other words - dropping marks

But yes
They’ll make the 8 and Hinkley will be safe
Almost worth finishing out the 8 for that alone

Our under 23 s are ranked worst in the AFL that's why

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
How can they be ranked when that haven’t been played ?
Still a good 21 goals behind first, which is not a small discrepancy - but that probably says more about the quantity of big volume goalkickers in the AFL more than anything.

He’s up there in goal assists too

Leadership, his field kicking and his hand balling would keep him in my team regardless
Problem with that statement is the Kyrgios box office isn't bringing in any revenue

You couldn’t pay me enough to watch the brat

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keep it up Rooch
Essendon had absolutely no defence
Port went tall - Bombers were short people
Dixon still is not performing but hey - he’s great at “bringing the ball to the ground “ - in other words - dropping marks

But yes
They’ll make the 8 and Hinkley will be safe
Almost worth finishing out the 8 for that alone

How can they be ranked when that haven’t been played ?

He’s up there in goal assists too

Leadership, his field kicking and his hand balling would keep him in my team regardless

You couldn’t pay me enough to watch the brat

IF you hadn't realised the whole squad plays every week, all rankings are done regardless which league you are playing in, which actually makes it worse as they should be destroying a lesser league like Gibbs did the other week with his mate Douglas

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow, you’re so good at using Google!

I know the difference between a ligament and a tendon. I was talking on principles between a strain and a tear. Usually a strain, you can play the following week, of the mild variety. Whereas usually with a tear, one needs to rest, ideally absolute rest.

We’re not talking about day to day basic activities, we’re talking about a big forward who needs to bump into bodies and go full stretch of the arms going for marks. There is a genuine risk of aggravation if an elbow tear is present, be it ligament or tendon.

In your professional opinion, how many people would be recommended to play full on contact sports if known to have a ligament/tendon tear?

And how many people can play better with a supposed elbow tear than their average game without an actual injury (Tex kicked 4.3).

Whilst you’re at it, I’m looking forward to your expert opinion on the ice vs no ice protocols:
Will a tear of one of the MCLs repair itself? No. No matter how much rest. It will need to be surgically repaired. Could you play on it with strapping? Yes. Is it worth playing out the rest of the 5 games anyway given it can't be fixed and will get no better with rest?

That's a judgement call.

I'm no expert though, just googling.

Back