Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Mitchell Lewis. Extended to 2026!

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's no mistake that Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn have been the best at this over the past however long. Awesome talent identification systems.

Richmond are quickly getting there as well.
only Geelong and Hawthorn imo.
Sydney - too many free hits.
Richmond only just rising - let's see how they go recruiting while at the top of the ladder.

With the way he is tracking he's every chance to kick a bag of 5 or 6 before the year is out.

With the way he is tracking he's every chance to kick a bag of 5 or 6 before the year is out.

Had every chance to do that the other week. Kicked 3 but missed a sitter and passed two more off.

Didn't see this development coming....but what a pleasant surprise.

Just needs to fix his goal kicking

I can’t wait to see how he and Patton go together. ;)

I think there’s a very good chance that Lewis will likely play as a centre half forward next year if he can improve on his fitness and endurance.

This year Lewis has had 33 scoring shots from 11 games which is impressive and it could’ve been a lot more if not for inaccuracy. Not a bad return for a player who was taken second last in 2016.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I think there’s a very good chance that Lewis will likely play as a centre half forward next year if he can improve on his fitness and endurance.

This year Lewis has had 33 scoring shots from 11 games which is impressive and it could’ve been a lot more if not for inaccuracy. Not a bad return for a player who was taken second last in 2016.
He was really last since Waterman was a father son.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The persistence of Lewis last night to stay involved in the match against an outstanding opponent who was flogging him and playing in the most detrimental conditions for a key forward imaginable.

Nash kept popping up too. Incredible effort by so many players with so few games under the belt. And for all GWS's outs, they still had a solid team.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Just thought I'd point out that the inaccurate shots are still in that 33 scoring shots.

Only one missing was when he passed to Worpel from the goal square which I hope we never see again. Seems to have a bit of the richo yips on the kicks from point blank range. Easy enough to be embarrassing to miss yet hard enough that you actually have to be at under 12s level to kick it.

This should take you to a comparison between Tom Lynch and Mitchell Lewis where they're essentially on par in most stats bar goal kicking on average.

This makes sense as Tom Lynch is in a higher scoring team with unarguably better supply this year. The interesting point for me is that Mitch is on average a shade better contested marker and a significantly better spoiler/1 percenter player. What this means to me is that if he's not taking a mark he's fighting hard to make sure his opponent doesn't take one either.

If we can get him to bridge the gap in TOG% between the two, the sky is the limit:

Time On Ground %​
72.4​

Really having a very good year.

● Ranked 4th in Contested Marks Per Game ● Ranked 8th in Marks Inside 50 Per Game
● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Total Goals ● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Total Hitouts
● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Contested Marks ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Total Marks Inside 50
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Marks Per Game ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Goals Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Hitouts Per Game ● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Contested Marks Per Game
● Ranked 1st among rising stars in Marks Inside 50 Per Game ● Ranked 9th among rising stars in One Percenters Per Game
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Score Involvements Per Game

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lewis is seriously improving, and has been so since the back half of last year. He's a fantastic contested mark but he's also mobile and can cover the ground, a trait valued by Hawthorn. It's great to see him kicking bags in multiple games as when he's firing he looks a weapon (albeit in practice games)

He still has quiet periods where he doesn't impact, but he's closing the gap between his best and his worst and is looking extremely promising. Don't think he's ready just yet but I think he'll make it. Another year in the system to build up his body and work on his craft, and he'd be my breakout pick for 2019.

Second only to Worpel. Walker is my pick next year :)

Was having a tough night, but just kept presenting and finished with 2 goals. Great effort to turn a tough night into a solid contribution.
Twice as many goals as the Coleman medal favourite.

Rewatching the game he continued to present all night in s**t conditions for a big guy. He’s a ripper.

Twice as many goals as the Coleman medal favourite.

Rewatching the game he continued to present all night in s**t conditions for a big guy. He’s a ripper.

Exactly what I liked about him from the start. He bloody wants it, has improved markedly every year he's been on the list and is putting in the hard yards. Loved to hear it at the start of this year that he was in the gym building himself to where he needed.

Both he and Worps put in the time and effort this off season and it's showing.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watched the game again last night. Loved his game even though he had a tough night at the office. After being cleaned up by Mummy early he continued to work hard. Copped a knee to the hip late in the game as well.

He was the victim of a couple of shocking bounces and a few passes from teammates that did not quite make the distance forcing him to play low in difficult conditions.

He appeared mildly frustrated a times despite the fact he was doing everything right. A big game is coming. Maybe not this year but definitely in 2020. Hoping he can have a good injury free preseason.

Last edited:

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Lets not mess around compare mitch with the best
D6EEE0F9-FC0E-4649-84F6-7A851CDC18A7.png

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Whomever the recruiter at the Hawks is who pushed for Mitch Lewis to be selected by the Hawks in the 2017 draft should get a $10K bonus... as of today.
It does not matter what Lewis does after today... he has shown enough to vindicate his selection as a top 20 pick, ... when most, or all, other recruiters didn’t even have him on their radar.
Note: Adelaide’s head of recruitment singled Mitch Lewis out as one that few knew would be so good.

Hawks Management: show some money love ... $$. (And no I do not know the person)

Last edited:
Back