Autopsy Rd 20 - Dockers smash Sth Freo Cats by 34

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man this feels good. What a fantastic win. I missed it because I was getting married the next day but it was still fun to watch after the fact.
Congrats! And well done for having a Freo win on your gift registry!

I’m not expecting anyone to reverse their opinions but it would be nice to see some of the supporters who heap it on when we lose come past and acknowledge a good game. If you have already done so I am not talking about you :)

I think we get one more win and are an outside shot at two. Ten or eleven wins for the season would be a huge result. Delightful in fact!

This applies to me. I’ll own it. It was a good win. However, one win doesn’t make us a high performing club. A sustained period of success is the only thing that will change my view.

Very much enjoyed the win and hope to see 1-2 more for an ok season.

I have no complaint with RTB seeing out the last year of his contract or being extended next year if we return to finals.

My niggling doubts will remain if we do nothing about our Strength and Conditioning team again. Seems every year after the bye we are decimated by injury and the wheels fall off, this is not acceptable next year. It is not just luck that most other clubs dont have this issue and it must be a strength going forward as players often select clubs that seem to be able to get players healthy (see Hawthorn).

I also think Ross needs to continue to look at new talent, in my view Carter is certainly a couple of games late.

We should also be looking at the coaching support team, I sense that Rock and Hale are going to stay and are highly regarded (lots of good reports on Hale) but lets look at some new talent.

I am hopeful that Belly/Rosich have theses issue at the forefront of next year's planning.

That was without doubt the loudest I've been at the footy. Came in expecting to have a quiet beer at the bar and a chat with a bro (easier than saying to the missus I was going to pub for 5h and to keep an eye on the kids). Quietly watching it from the bar slip away with some clean entries to Porkins. Not too fussed, I was already 3 beers in and had very low expectations.

Then thanks to a special guy called Mollisson, and the most one-sided patch of umpiring I've seen for a while in the second (as called out today in the West by Duffield), Fyfe getting ragdolled, gutpunched, held, pushed, for no frees, then giving one away for almost nothing, the crowd, myself included, went absolutely off our heads. The players followed and went to another level and didn't release the foot until the final siren. Every time the Cats touched the ball they were hit which made the crowd louder and louder. We thought it would dissipate by half time and the Cats would come back, but the Freo kids did not let up. So proud with that effort.

Never really been a booer, but with the crap Freo were dealing with off the ball early and the soft frees Moll. was then giving Geelong, never booed louder. Anyway it fired our players up so well worth it.

What did he say? Is there a link?

This applies to me. I’ll own it. It was a good win. However, one win doesn’t make us a high performing club. A sustained period of success is the only thing that will change my view.

Sorry, what follows is not having a go at you personally, just the wording of part of your post is so similar to so much of what so many on here state as the desired outcome that "Ross" (or whoever) isn't delivering.

So, finals in 2010, and every year from 2012-2015 inclusive, including a grand final berth and multiple prelims, isn't enough sustained success?
What is sustained success then?

Do people realise how fortunate we have been in the modern era (especially with the draft bias to GC and GWS, and the interstate travel penalty we have) for us to even get two years of successive finals?

Please, give me a roll call of non-Melbourne based clubs that have made finals more times than we did in that stretch? Only one AFAIK, and that is Sydney, with the benefit (for most of that period) of COLA and top ups plus an Academy.

I really don't think some people get how hard it is to get to finals, let alone get there every year for 4 years in a row.

In modern AFL "sustained success" is so easy to throw around - but so few actually achieve it.

The fact we have beaten GWS away, Collingwood away, and Brisbane and Geelong here, should be a source of positive confidence for the future.

There is a way to go, but we are really doing well against some top teams, especially given the injuries we have had.

But NicNat has such sustained success...

Sorry, what follows is not having a go at you personally, just the wording of part of your post is so similar to so much of what so many on here state as the desired outcome that "Ross" (or whoever) isn't delivering.

So, finals in 2010, and every year from 2012-2015 inclusive, including a grand final berth and multiple prelims, isn't enough sustained success?
What is sustained success then?

Do people realise how fortunate we have been in the modern era (especially with the draft bias to GC and GWS, and the interstate travel penalty we have) for us to even get two years of successive finals?

Please, give me a roll call of non-Melbourne based clubs that have made finals more times than we did in that stretch? Only one AFAIK, and that is Sydney, with the benefit (for most of that period) of COLA and top ups plus an Academy.

I really don't think some people get how hard it is to get to finals, let alone get there every year for 4 years in a row.

In modern AFL "sustained success" is so easy to throw around - but so few actually achieve it.

The fact we have beaten GWS away, Collingwood away, and Brisbane and Geelong here, should be a source of positive confidence for the future.

There is a way to go, but we are really doing well against some top teams, especially given the injuries we have had.

But NicNat has such sustained success...
Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, & West Coast gave played more finals than Fremantle this decade. Adelaide sit 1 game back from us; maybe they will overtake us by the end of the decade but hopefully not (they are looking shaky and I'm not writing this year off for us).

In terms of Home & Away games this decade, we sit 8th with 114 wins out of 217 games. The teams above us in terms of H&A wins are Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, West Coast, Adelaide & Richmond.

So over the decade we gave been just a little bit above average. Hardly the upper echelons of the comp.

We got off to a hot start in the 2010s but we have wasted all that hard work with terribly medicore list management and some dumb coaching.

More recently our record has, of course, been poor. Since the bye we have the 2nd worse on-field performance in the league (only behind Gold Coast and notwithstanding last week's great win against Geelong).

Looking back a little further, over our last 50 games Ross has a W/L of 19 & 31. That compares to:

- Malthouse's last 50 at Carlton of 19.5/30.5
- Richardson (St Kilda) of 16.5/33.5
- Scott (North) of 21/29

No-one thought it was out of line to strongly criticise the performances of those 3 in the lead up to their removal (obviously Scott's was by mutual agreement).

I fail to see why Lyon is so special he that deserves different treatment.

I fail to see why Lyon is so special he that deserves different treatment.
As clearly the best coach the club has ever had, and having taken the club through a massive clean out and rebuild, in addition to this season showing clear evidence of progress and change, Lyon is entitled to a lot more respect. The base line for that respect is supporting him until the advertised time frame for the rebuild.

The other thing is that the club has forever endured hostility from the local media. In my opinion it is premeditated and targeted, and smacks of vested interest. Why supporters want to be aligned with that amazes me.

As clearly the best coach the club has ever had, and having taken the club through a massive clean out and rebuild, in addition to this season showing clear evidence of progress and change, Lyon is entitled to a lot more respect. The base line for that respect is supporting him until the advertised time frame for the rebuild.

The other thing is that the club has forever endured hostility from the local media. In my opinion it is premeditated and targeted, and smacks of vested interest. Why supporters want to be aligned with that amazes me.
Gav, great point made there. Respect and show me the alternative.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon is most definitely the best coach Freo has ever had. I doubt that any other coach could have taken us to our first GF in 2013 (out of the coaches that it was reasonable for us to get; obviously guys like Clarkson or Longmire weren't going to coach Freo in the mid-2010s). He has coached 300+ games with an overall winning percentage. So he is a good coach (but not yet a very good or great coach).

But even though he has been here for our best on-field performances he has also presided over two of the worst on-field performances in the history of the AFL (not just our club; but the overall league):
- 23 consecutive goals to Geelong last year. The worst ever run of consecutive goals in a single AFL game
- Going from minor premiers to 16th in 2016. The worst ever ladder fall in AFL history.

Recent years _have_ tarnished his coaching legacy. Whether he regains the lofty position he once had is a job to be done.

Ross Lyon is most definitely the best coach Freo has ever had. I doubt that any other coach could have taken us to our first GF in 2013 (out of the coaches that it was reasonable for us to get; obviously guys like Clarkson or Longmire weren't going to coach Freo in the mid-2010s). He has coached 300+ games with an overall winning percentage. So he is a good coach (but not yet a very good or great coach).

But even though he has been here for our best on-field performances he has also presided over two of the worst on-field performances in the history of the AFL (not just our club; but the overall league):
- 23 consecutive goals to Geelong last year. The worst ever run of consecutive goals in a single AFL game
- Going from minor premiers to 16th in 2016. The worst ever ladder fall in AFL history.

Recent years _have_ tarnished his coaching legacy. Whether he regains the lofty position he once had is a job to be done.
And based on stated intent by both he and the club he should get the opportunity next year to see if he has done the job. The incessant carping by local media and so-called supporters that he should not and does not deserve that opportunity is what gets me. I don't think I have heard anyone seriously suggest he should get any kind of extension beyond his current contract just yet but it's not unreasonable to say he is mighty close to having the team where most of us expected it would be at the start of the year. That in itself should be sufficient reason for the anti-Ross brigade to hold fire on their worn-out and often inaccurate rhetoric that he should go now...

And based on stated intent by both he and the club he should get the opportunity next year to see if he has done the job. The incessant carping by local media and so-called supporters that he should not and does not deserve that opportunity is what gets me. I don't think I have heard anyone seriously suggest he should get any kind of extension beyond his current contract just yet but it's not unreasonable to say he is mighty close to having the team where most of us expected it would be at the start of the year. That in itself should be sufficient reason for the anti-Ross brigade to hold fire on their worn-out and often inaccurate rhetoric that he should go now...
He should get the opportunity if he's the best available coach. And that is the only situation in which he should get the opportunity. Its most likely that he is the best available coach, so he should probably do the job. But it shouldn't be simply because he's the incumbent. It should be because no-one that is gettable is better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back