Review Round 20, 2019 - Brisbane Lions vs. Western Bulldogs

Who were your five best players against Western Bulldogs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Cam also did another one on the Vulture St wing side of the ground, it would be great to get a compilation gif of Cam and Mitch's Bulldogs intimidation bumps and tackles.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

Neale 26
J.Lyons 24
Robinson 22 (19w, 3i)
McCluggage 21 (13w, 8i)
Bailey 15 wing
J.Berry 14 (4w)
Zorko (inj) 9 (5i, 4w)
McCarthy 8 (2w)
Cameron 1

Rucks:
McInerney 9
Martin 18

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Neale 2
J.Lyons 2
J.Berry 2
Zorko 1
Robinson 1
Martin 1
Bailey 1

1st Half - 10

J.Lyons 10
Neale 9
McCluggage 8 (5w, 3i)
Robinson 7 wing
J.Berry 7 (4i, 3w)
Bailey 5 wing
Zorko 3
Cameron 1

McInerney 4
Martin 6

2nd Half - 18

Neale 17
Robinson 15 (12w, 3i)
J.Lyons 14
McCluggage 13 (7w, 6i)
Bailey 10 wing
McCarthy 8 (2w)
J.Berry 7 (1w)
Zorko 6 (4w, 2i)

Martin 13
McInerney 5

Notes:
- Most starts for Bailey in an analysed game since Rd 14, 2018
- 2nd most ever starts in an analysed game for McCarthy
- Most inside starts for Robinson in the 11 analysed games this season

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 28 Bounces

Neale 26
J.Lyons 24
Robinson 22 (19w, 3i)
McCluggage 21 (13w, 8i)
Bailey 15 wing
J.Berry 14 (4w)
Zorko (inj) 9 (5i, 4w)
McCarthy 8 (2w)
Cameron 1

Rucks:
McInerney 9
Martin 18

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Neale 2
J.Lyons 2
J.Berry 2
Zorko 1
Robinson 1
Martin 1
Bailey 1

1st Half - 10

J.Lyons 10
Neale 9
McCluggage 8 (5w, 3i)
Robinson 7 wing
J.Berry 7 (4i, 3w)
Bailey 5 wing
Zorko 3
Cameron 1

McInerney 4
Martin 6

2nd Half - 18

Neale 17
Robinson 15 (12w, 3i)
J.Lyons 14
McCluggage 13 (7w, 6i)
Bailey 10 wing
McCarthy 8 (2w)
J.Berry 7 (1w)
Zorko 6 (4w, 2i)

Martin 13
McInerney 5

Notes:
- Most starts for Bailey in an analysed game since Rd 14, 2018
- 2nd most ever starts in an analysed game for McCarthy
- Most inside starts for Robinson in the 11 analysed games this season
Great stuff Billy Bob, thanks for posting each week, I have a question for you if you do the stats for it.

We seem to have trouble on occasion winning center bounce clearances, teams get on a run against us and dominate periods of play, fortunately it hasn't hurt us too much because our back 6 has stood up when needed, could hurt us in finals against the very best sides though.

Do you have statistics for which are the best center bounce clearance individual players, which group of 3 mids has the the best winning record and which ruckman is in the center for the best percentage of center bounce clearance wins. Particularly interested in which combination is best for us. My guess would be- Stef Martin, Lachie Neale, Dayne Zorko and Cameron Rayner.

Seeing as I watched the telecast, I must have seen it and thought 'what a very good bump' and got on with my life.
They showed footage of Dunkley getting treated after it, checking his ribs, but then he came straight back on.

Berry had four clangers from 25 possessions. Hugh had 3 from 16. Not great, but I still want to srr players of their talents encouraged to go for it, take the game on and try to make things happen. I wouldn't call it selfish.

Berry had four clangers from 25 possessions. Hugh had 3 from 16. Not great, but I still want to srr players of their talents encouraged to go for it, take the game on and try to make things happen. I wouldn't call it selfish.
Does that include the 1 and 2 free kicks they gave away?

Does that include the 1 and 2 free kicks they gave away?

The stats glossary says it's a possession that goes straight to the opposition, so as far as I'm aware it doesn't.

The stats glossary says it's a possession that goes straight to the opposition, so as far as I'm aware it doesn't.
I'd assume that's what a turnover is too. I'm fairly certain a clanger involves kicking to opposition, dropping marks and free kicks against.

Free kicks count because they (generally) give possession to the opposition.

Example:
On the other hand, his teammate Tim Taranto, who had four clangers, all of them free kicks against, finished with just 72 points to his name.

I'd assume that's what a turnover is too. I'm fairly certain a clanger involves kicking to opposition, dropping marks and free kicks against.
I'm not sure that it includes that? I thought it was a kick or handball received by the opposition or a free kick against.

Turns out it does and other stuff does to:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On second review of the glossary, it just has "clanger kick" & "clanger handball", no general clanger definition. Good job afl.com.

Good game. Fun to watch. Good luck in the finals.

I love the Lions style - it's a throwback to when footy was easy to watch. None of that sideways crab or flooding bullshit. Just clean direct footy. Some people are saying my mob are enjoyable to watch. We've stunk the place out for a couple of seasons. Should be some great battles between us over the coming seasons.

Last edited:
Good game. Fun to watch. Good luck in the finals.

I love the Lions style - it's a throwback to when footy was easy to watch. Not of that sideways crab or flooding bulls**t. Just clean direct footy. Some people are saying my mob are enjoyable to watch. We've stunk the place out for a couple of seasons. Should be some great battles between us over the coming seasons.

Great post, and better sig.

Cox or Keays
Would like to see one of them but with cats tigers and finals very few chances With adams versatility I actually see a role for payne next year at 199 and 100kg just showed his speed running back in 2Q in reserves yesterday and Is good 1 v 1 Exciting times no doubt but next year we will be playing all top 8 teams twice and will need to call on a few from our very good NEAFL team I would not be surprised if we lose a few of our senior NEAFL players who will seek AFL opportunities elsewhere

Back