Preview Lions 2019 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting lots of luv for us talking footy tonight...Answerth this weeks winner and Greenwood heading to the Lions or Hawks...and Mitch is Darcys player of the round

Getting lots of luv for us talking footy tonight...Answerth this weeks winner and Greenwood heading to the Lions or Hawks
Hugh Greenwood would really add to our already potent goal scoring options.

I got to say I can't see us losing a game from now until sometime in the 2021 season.

;)

In the Contenders thread on the main board ... I just had an evil thought about how 'interesting' the umpiring would be (a la Bulldogs '16) if it were to end up being a GWS v Lions GF ... or would residual plastic outweigh the fantasy of a maiden flag?
GWS have a horrific record with the umpires. There's that table floating around which shows how great a ride West Coast gets but also shows how GWS is consistently having one of the worst free kick differentials since entering the comp, regardless of how they're doing.

GWS have a horrific record with the umpires. There's that table floating around which shows how great a ride West Coast gets but also shows how GWS is consistently having one of the worst free kick differentials since entering the comp, regardless of how they're doing.

How much has Mumford contributed to that free kick differential?

Or Toby Greene
How much of that is having Greene and Cameron in the same side though?

Greene breaks even on free kicks. Cameron gives away about 5-10 more per year than he receives.

Mumford is absolutely the worst culprit (a mindboggling deficit of two free kicks per game this year) with Shaw in second (out on the full and deliberate out of bounds) but the figures persist even when they have a relatively good year and/or doesn't play. Lack of home ground umpiring advantage (Richmond is the only team with a worst home free kick differential over the last three years) and brutalized away accounts for a lot of it, kind of like us before we started on our upswing (or even after, thinking of the Port game).

22UNDER22 RETURNS FOR 2019
Consistent with Brisbane’s meteoric rise up the AFL ladder, a pride of Lions cubs have earned selection in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 squad, which honours the game’s most exciting young talent.

Hugh McCluggage, Harris Andrews, Alex Witherden, Jarrod Berry and Eric Hipwood join big names Clayton Oliver, Josh Dunkley, Andy McGrath, and Jade Gresham in the 40-man squad selected by the AFLPA Board, with the support of Champion Data.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm having weekly goes at the ladder predictor now-

I have us beating the Suns and Cats then losing to the Tigers which would have us finishing 2nd and hosting the Eagles at the Gabba in a QF

If we lose to the Cats as well I have us finishing 5th and hosting the Power at the Gabba in an EF.

IMO the Power would be extremely dangerous opposition.

Massive last 2 rounds for so many teams. I went pretty conservative with one round of the ladder predictor, and the last game against the Tigers has 2 massive different outcomes. Tigers win, they are 4th we are 3rd. We win, we are 1st and Tigers drop to 6th. Simply going to be a massive game for them. I have them winning all their other games too. So many sliding doors the last 3 rounds. Pretty much, if Tigers want top 4, they can't lose a game or they get stuck in 6th. If Cats lose against us and 1 other game, they probably drop to 4th, with Eagles and us jumping to 1st and 2nd and Tigers reaching 3rd.

Just massive massive changes on so many games. Each game is critical. I think on pure likelihood, we need to beat 1 or Cats/Tigers to finish top 4. Beating one of them gives them a loss which pushes them down. Tigers/Eagles game also a very important one.

I'm having weekly goes at the ladder predictor now-

I have us beating the Suns and Cats then losing to the Tigers which would have us finishing 2nd and hosting the Eagles at the Gabba in a QF

If we lose to the Cats as well I have us finishing 5th and hosting the Power at the Gabba in an EF.

IMO the Power would be extremely dangerous opposition.

I'm working out how Fagan will be plotting Richmond downfall in round 23. Time to knock that hoodoo over and go top 2 !

Is there any functional difference between coming first or second or are they pretty much as good as each other in terms of your path through finals?

Iirc it used to be that you couldn't meet each other again during finals so both were two home finals then MCG ... of course there *did* used to be that do over thing for the minor premiers which is not there anymore and the GF would be at your place of you were there except that it is locked in at MCG...

Is there any functional difference between coming first or second or are they pretty much as good as each other in terms of your path through finals?

Iirc it used to be that you couldn't meet each other again during finals so both were two home finals then MCG ... of course there *did* used to be that do over thing for the minor premiers which is not there anymore and the GF would be at your place of you were there except that it is locked in at MCG...

Affects the matchups through the finals and that's about it.

If one and two meet in the GF, the minor premier gets the rights to wear their home jumper (obviously doesn’t matter if there is no clash between grand finalists though).

If all the favourites win from now till the end of the year (that has us loosing to Geelong and Richmond) we will finish 6th. It would be a tough pill to swallow after the season we have had to finish there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back