List Mgmt. Should I stay or should I go now? End of season list management discussion (now continued for 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still has the most pressure acts in the F50 in the AFL if I'm not mistaken?
Yup. If he's blowing up then the answer isn't to retire him & replace him with .... dammit, there's nobody on our list to replace him with :rolleyes: ....

Maybe we could bloody well help him?!?!

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Honestly, people are in love with Poppy’s ‘pressure acts’ as a fanciful stat for not quite being near it.
Yes he chases & he gets the odd tackle but his ‘pressure acts’ increasing & his disposal count declining doesn’t seem to correlate to a fair whack of supporters here.
He isn’t kicking goals, he isn’t registering goal assists, his possessions are declining... he seems more focused on having a manly beard than anything else.

I’ll cop a whack no doubt for posting the obvious but stop chugging the bath water on this.... it’s ridiculous.
Poke a fork in him...

Honestly, people are in love with Poppy’s ‘pressure acts’ as a fanciful stat for not quite being near it.
Yes he chases & he gets the odd tackle but his ‘pressure acts’ increasing & his disposal count declining doesn’t seem to correlate to a fair whack of supporters here.
He isn’t kicking goals, he isn’t registering goal assists, his possessions are declining... he seems more focused on having a manly beard than anything else.

I’ll cop a whack no doubt for posting the obvious but stop chugging the bath water on this.... it’s ridiculous.
Poke a fork in him...

Leads the league for forwards in Pressure Acts, Tackles I50 and Tackles Total I'm relatively sure.

The fact that he hasn't been dropped at any stage this year would indicate that he's factored into next year's plans still as we don't have a reasonable replacement considering Minchington's continued injury woes.

It's obvious that Clarko would like to keep a balance up forward and Poppy's pressure is key to that balance.

Feb 11, 2004
I'm Liv'n in the 70's
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill , BulleenTemp.
So we've got Poppy but not getting many kicks or scoring Goals
We've got Nash, Pressure acts but not many kicks or goals
We got an out of form Bruest not getting many kicks
We've got Gunston getting more kicks in the backline than the forward line.
I'd respectfully suggest that you have more opportunity to tackle and pressure when you don't actually have the ball.
Don't get me wrong I love Poppy's attitude but this is a disfunctional forward line that can't gain possession or convert on the scoreboard.

But gee do we apply pressure.

May 28, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Scrimshaw Sicily Impey
Henderson O'meara Scully
Gunston Patton
Wingard Lewis Bruest

McEvoy Coniglio Mitchell

Int: Worpel, Shiels, Obrien, Hanrahan, Burgyone, Birchall

Depth/Developing
Cousins, CJ, Nash, Walker, Glass, Morrison, Kozi, Moore, Ross, Jones, Ceglar, Brand, Golds, Pick 5/6, Pick 24, 48, 78

Trade bait
Smith
Howe

Delist
Mohr
Miles
Greaves (a guess)
Mirra
Minchington

Retire
Puopolo
Rough
Schoenmakers
Mohr

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Francisco 49ers
Hardwick Frawley Stratton
Scrimshaw Sicily Impey
Henderson O'meara Scully
Gunston Patton
Wingard Lewis Bruest

McEvoy Coniglio Mitchell

Int: Worpel, Shiels, Obrien, Hanrahan, Burgyone, Birchall

Depth/Developing
Cousins, CJ, Nash, Walker, Glass, Morrison, Kozi, Moore, Ross, Jones, Ceglar, Brand, Golds, Pick 5/6, Pick 24, 48, 78

Trade bait
Smith
Howe
Ceglar

Delist
Mohr
Miles
Greaves (a guess)
Mirra
Minchington

Retire
Puopolo
Rough
Schoenmakers
Mohr

Ceglar is a Free Agent. He cannot be trade bait.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Roughead seems to be retiring and might coach at the Saints?
2. I.Smith wanting a trade to the WB?
3. Schoenmakers on the outer - delisted?
4. Glass, doesnt seem to be working out imo
5. Mirra likely moved back to the VFL
6. Pittonet likely moved back to the VFL
7. Miles - delisted
8. Mohr - retired
9. Puopolo - retired
10. Birchall - medicals and possible retirement?

with Pick 6-9 we could potentially pick up Luke Jackson - East Freo, great ruck prospect which could free us to trade/delist Ceglar like they wanted to last season?

Has Smith said he wants a trade to the dogs?

Has Smith said he wants a trade to the dogs?

Not unless something has changed since this (https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ha...k/news-story/7bf721d99658bdef7a693dc4da9522a5)

Hawthorn star Isaac Smith has laughed off reported interest from the Western Bulldogs as “rumour and innuendo”.

I guess after what happened with Mitch, Lewis and Hodge, you never really know what's going to happen at Hawthorn though. Rumours could be just that, Pickering could have leaked something.

I would sugges that Minchington is the Puopolo understudy. I doubt we retire Pop and then also delist Minch.

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1. Roughead seems to be retiring and might coach at the Saints?
2. I.Smith wanting a trade to the WB?
3. Schoenmakers on the outer - delisted?
4. Glass, doesnt seem to be working out imo
5. Mirra likely moved back to the VFL
6. Pittonet likely moved back to the VFL
7. Miles - delisted
8. Mohr - retired
9. Puopolo - retired
10. Birchall - medicals and possible retirement?

with Pick 6-9 we could potentially pick up Luke Jackson - East Freo, great ruck prospect which could free us to trade/delist Ceglar like they wanted to last season?

Do you really reckon Jackson is worth that Davo? There’d be a handful of other very talented players available at the pick. I know it’d definitely fill a need if we lose both Ceglar/Pittonet but surely then you look at Bryan/Comben or a mature age ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Do you really reckon Jackson is worth that Davo? There’d be a handful of other very talented players available at the pick. I know it’d definitely fill a need if we lose both Ceglar/Pittonet but surely then you look at Bryan/Comben or a mature age ruck.

Luke Jackson is a legit good ruckman and i have no doubt he will fit right in at the AFL level quickly, Bryan and Comben are 2 other rucks i like but both have a bit of weight to fill out and are not as complete rucks at this stage.

What is the knock on Greaves and why are so many people keen to delist him?
Have watched him a couple of times and he seems a pretty vanilla kind of player, although his kicking is quite good. Doesn't get involved enough for mine.

Have watched him a couple of times and he seems a pretty vanilla kind of player, although his kicking is quite good. Doesn't get involved enough for mine.
He's really only been an HBF hasn't he?

I just feel that he may be the typical Hawthorn rookie - is there someone out there who is obviously, remarkably better? If not, they'll give him another year.

I haven't seen any pics of him since joining the system, but isn't he a bag of bones? Surely just needs to bulk up a bit and get some confidence and may stand a chance? Would surely deserve at least 1 more year. Not often you'd see a young kid chopped after 12 months on a list

Nick the Pig

Team Captain
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing that frustrates me no end are depth players that are permanently injured. What's the point of carrying these guys on a list. For example guys like Shoe and Minch would not be best 22 and would be depth only. Yet their bodies simply can no longer be relied upon to get them on the park. This puts even greater strain on our depth which is painfully thin as it is.

I don't mind to risk carrying injured players on the list if they are best 22 when fit (eg Birch last couple of years) because there should be upside if the body comes right. But depth players should be there to replace the injured, not have cooked bodies themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back