Toast Elliot Yeo

Remove this Banner Ad

The goal he kicked before that was awesome. Power, arrogance and skill. Not many could pull that off.

I thought he was going to give us another one after that huge tackle on Schumacher, but then he shanked the kick. Good follow up though with getting the fist to the ball out to Flyin’.

Why don't we let Richmond worry about stopping Yeo, Shuey and Gaff while we rotate Hutchings, Redden and Nelson through Martin?
Did you not watch our last game against the Tigers? Yeo made Martin his bitch. He will smash Martin if he dares grab the ball then will make him accountable and kill him the other way. No one else can do that.

That Freo vs. Geelong game was the most defensive Fyfe has been all year. Stood out a mile his tackling pressure. Also one of his best games he's played this season.

Yeo has been like that for such a long time, his grand final in particular is a precursor to how he has played this year. Not saying he's as good, but I wouldn't swap them at all.

I do miss the big Yeo contested marks though, they were a thing of beauty. Got a few against Carlton on the weekend that took me back.

That Freo vs. Geelong game was the most defensive Fyfe has been all year. Stood out a mile his tackling pressure. Also one of his best games he's played this season.

Yeo has been like that for such a long time, his grand final in particular is a precursor to how he has played this year. Not saying he's as good, but I wouldn't swap them at all.

I do miss the big Yeo contested marks though, they were a thing of beauty. Got a few against Carlton on the weekend that took me back.

Yeo's defensive pressure is insane. I want him to be more attacking and kick more goals.

Interestingly when the On The Couch guys were chatting about Yeo last night, Paul Roos had some very kind words and said he flew to Perth to try and recruit Yeoy to play for Melbourne when he was coming out of contract.

I'm guessing this was in 2015 when Elliot signed a 3 year contract given Roos last year at the Demons was 2016. Not sure how often coaches would get involved in stuff like this. That was his breakout year when we lost our key backs if I recall correctly. Roos must have noticed his scope to play midfield back then as they were discussing his versatility and traits.

Did you not watch our last game against the Tigers? Yeo made Martin his bitch. He will smash Martin if he dares grab the ball then will make him accountable and kill him the other way. No one else can do that.
That was a different time.

That was a different time.
And yesterday isnt today. Whats your point? You think things have changed so much in a year of footy? If anything Yeo has gotten better and still none of the 3 you mentioned have the combination of speed, power, strength and aerobic capacity to do what Yeo does to Martin.

And yesterday isnt today. Whats your point? You think things have changed so much in a year of footy? If anything Yeo has gotten better and still none of the 3 you mentioned have the combination of speed, power, strength and aerobic capacity to do what Yeo does to Martin.
I was being slightly facetious, admittedly.

However, I think that when we play Richmond, minus Cotchin, we have a midfield that should make them wonder how to stop us, rather than vice versa. We've got options to run with Martin so we don't necessarily need to sacrifice Yeo's attacking game for the sake of that match-up.

Why not use Redden, Hutchings and even Nelson to try to negate Martin and throw down the gauntlet to Richmond and see how they go about containing Yeo, Shuey and Gaff?

You talk about "what Yeo does to Martin" as though there's an established pattern here that we should heed. But it's a sample size of one game.

Yeo's accountability and tackling is fantastic. That doesn't mean he always has to be a run-with if there are other, more damaging match-up combinations available.

Yes it is only one game- but Im thinking of the other similar matchups Yeo has run and won recently- Fyfe and Cripps. I can see a pattern emerging.
The thing is, I dont think his attacking flair is impeded when he goes head to head with these guys, thats what makes him so dangerous, he can nullify his opponent and hurt them the other way. Forcing them to worry about what he does with the footy is part of why these guys become less effective, they dont feel like they can just run off on the attacking side and do as they please. It forces them to second guess themselves.

Yes it is only one game- but Im thinking of the other similar matchups Yeo has run and won recently- Fyfe and Cripps. I can see a pattern emerging.
The thing is, I dont think his attacking flair is impeded when he goes head to head with these guys, thats what makes him so dangerous, he can nullify his opponent and hurt them the other way. Forcing them to worry about what he does with the footy is part of why these guys become less effective, they dont feel like they can just run off on the attacking side and do as they please. It forces them to second guess themselves.
The reality is that different players are still going to rotate through those key match-ups. Yeo isn't going to spend the entire game running with Martin. If we want a tighter tag, we're going to need to think about other players. And that's fine, because we have a bunch of options. There's no point getting locked into this idea that it has to be Yeo on Martin going H2H. For example, what happens during the sizeable chunk of the game when Martin goes forward? It won't be Yeo going with him from the goal square, will it?

There will need to be a range of options, whichever way you slice it.

Act 1 scene 1 : mcg

*Dusty: throws up dont argue

*Yeo: grabs dont argue hand

*Yeo: wraps other hand around body and ball carrying hand preventing disposal

*Dusty: melts into his embrace

*Dusty: only you are man enough to take me

*Dusty: you are my king arthur to me your excalibur

*Yeo: eeeeerr holding the ball f}#%wad give it to me

*Umpire: hand it over you **** haircut looking grimby

*Dusty: looks on in unrequited love (incel)

*Eagles win by ten goals

The reality is that different players are still going to rotate through those key match-ups. Yeo isn't going to spend the entire game running with Martin. If we want a tighter tag, we're going to need to think about other players. And that's fine, because we have a bunch of options. There's no point getting locked into this idea that it has to be Yeo on Martin going H2H. For example, what happens during the sizeable chunk of the game when Martin goes forward? It won't be Yeo going with him from the goal square, will it?

There will need to be a range of options, whichever way you slice it.
I realise that, even with a hard tag there are often guys going to the target. Example on the weekend, shuey and redden took cripps for some stoppages. My point is a hard tag generally isnt as effective on those types of power players as pitting your own power player against them. I think Simmo has shown this is his preferred method. Hutch is used more on the wingers and hbf/hff types for shut down roles.
If Yeo is spanking Martin then yes they will throw him forward for a spell, Shep or Schofield would be the match ups there I reckon.
Your initial comment was that we shouldn't use our primo midfielders on Martin as they would be wasted, I think that is a wrong assessment and Simmo by his actions seems to agree. Yeo isnt wasted on those matchups, he is utilised to his full potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise that, even with a hard tag there are often guys going to the target. Example on the weekend, shuey and redden took cripps for some stoppages. My point is a hard tag generally isnt as effective on those types of power players as pitting your own power player against them. I think Simmo has shown this is his preferred method. Hutch is used more on the wingers and hbf/hff types for shut down roles.
If Yeo is spanking Martin then yes they will throw him forward for a spell, Shep or Schofield would be the match ups there I reckon.
Your initial comment was that we shouldn't use our primo midfielders on Martin as they would be wasted, I think that is a wrong assessment and Simmo by his actions seems to agree. Yeo isnt wasted on those matchups, he is utilised to his full potential.
There will be different guys rotating through that key match-up. That's the bottom line.

Yeo can go with the player (Martin, Cripps, Fyfe etc) at times, challenging him to be accountable and trying to beat him straight-up. Or we can release Yeo and use an even more defensive mid in a more dedicated shutdown role. And we're going to need another contingency plan for when Martin or Fyfe or whoever goes forward.

So "Yeo goes H2H" is well and good but it doesn't really reflect or describe the way it will shake out. There will be a range of options at different stages.

Act 1 scene 1 : mcg

*Dusty: throws up dont argue

*Yeo: grabs dont argue hand

*Yeo: wraps other hand around body and ball carrying hand preventing disposal

*Dusty: melts into his embrace

*Dusty: only you are man enough to take me

*Dusty: you are my king arthur to me your excalibur

*Yeo: eeeeerr holding the ball f}#%wad give it to me

*Umpire: hand it over you **** haircut looking grimby

*Dusty: looks on in unrequited love (incel)

*Eagles win by ten goals

Cunnington successfully gave Yeo the "don't argue" just a fortnight ago. Yeo was bulldozing Ben backwards though, so it was perhaps more of a "let's have a discussion about this" but Cunnington got away a good disposal nevertheless.

Yeo plays better when he plays head to head against the best. It seems to fire him up.

I would keep it simple and instruct Yeo to go to Dusty and combat him at centre bounces and stoppages, and have either Hutchings or possibly Schofield to go to Martin when he inevitably drifts forward

Yeo plays better when he plays head to head against the best. It seems to fire him up.

I would keep it simple and instruct Yeo to go to Dusty and combat him at centre bounces and stoppages, and have either Hutchings or possibly Schofield to go to Martin when he inevitably drifts forward
Hutchings as a defender against Martin..... wowweee boy oh boy