Coach John Longmire - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

What is Longmire currently earning at Sydney?

Last reported figure was around 900k.

What was the offer from North Melbourne?

I don't think there was even an offer, just talk from his old North mates about what they "should" pay him.

Keep in mind North face having to include Brad Scott's contract in their soft cap next year and that would've been taken into account any offer made.

Last reported figure was around 900k.

I don't think there was even an offer, just talk from his old North mates about what they "should" pay him.

Keep in mind North face having to include Brad Scott's contract in their soft cap next year and that would've been taken into account any offer made.

So he was already one of the highest earning coaches in the league and as far as we aware didn't actually have any other counter offer on the table, just speculation. Coming off a season with poor results this situation doesn't scream "significant pay rise" to me.

I thought 10th.
yep, most expert? commentators tip us around 10th - 12th. Which surprised me, I had us making finals based on the young crew being older and our taels not being injured like in 2018. Didn't count on Buddy, McVeigh, Smith, Grundy and Naismith being out for all or most of the season.

This season we have to this point managed a combined 37 games out of the six most experienced players on the list (Franklin, McVeigh, Grundy, Smith, Kennedy and Jack). An average of six games each with only three weeks to go in the season. Only Kennedy has managed to play more than half of the rounds so far.

If you gave that information to people at the start of the season they probably would have downgraded expectations from in the mix for a spot in the finals to a little bit behind that pack, which is where we find ourselves. We knew we were going to have a bunch of kids out there, but I think all of would have assumed that they were going to get a bit more on-field assistance and leadership from the veterans than it has turned out they received.

Last edited:
Just Naismith on the field this year and we would have picked up at least 5 or 6 more games. Smashed in clearances, smashed in hitouts. I can't wait until we start getting first use of the ball. Swans would have been keen to make sure Horse stayed with this rebuild. Something special is brewing.

Just Naismith on the field this year and we would have picked up at least 5 or 6 more games. Smashed in clearances, smashed in hitouts. I can't wait until we start getting first use of the ball. Swans would have been keen to make sure Horse stayed with this rebuild. Something special is brewing.
Absolutely.. a couple of key trades and Ill back us to be around September 2020

This season we have to this point managed a combined 37 games out of the six most experienced players on the list (Franklin, McVeigh, Grundy, Smith, Kennedy and Jack). An average of six games each with only three weeks to go in the season. Only Kennedy has managed to play more than half of the rounds so far.

If you gave that information to people at the start of the season they probably would have downgraded expectations from in the mix for a spot in the finals to a little bit behind that pack, which is where we find ourselves. We knew we were going to have a bunch of kids out there, but I think all of would have assumed that they were going to get a bit more on-field assistance and leadership from the veterans than it has turned out they received.

Just to reiterate this point:

Here is the table of all the teams in the league organised by the number of games they have got out of their 6 most experienced players this season:

Geelong 109 (1)
North 105 (13)
West Coast 101 (2)
Brisbane 96 (3)
Port Adelaide 91 (9)
Carlton 91 (16)
Essendon 90 (7)
Hawthorn 76 (12)
GWS 75 (5)
Gold Coast 73 (18)
Adelaide 69 (8)
Richmond 69 (4)
Collingwood 68 (6)
Footscray 68 (11)
Melbourne 66 (17)
Fremantle 64 (10)
St Kilda 46 (14)
Sydney 37 (15)

In brackets is the current position the team sits in the ladder.

We are firmly rooted to the bottom of this table. Not surprising that we have struggled. St Kilda and Melbourne have been in a similar position to us and are also low on this table. At the other end you have the top 3 teams in the top 4. Not so suprising either. There are some outliers, Richmond have done really well despite losing a lot of games from their top 6 (and that doesn't include Rance, he is number 7) for instance. But how many people think Geelong would still be top of the table if, instead of only losing 5 possible games from Ablett, Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Duncan, they had lost 77 games from them like we have from our top 6?

Just to reiterate this point:

Here is the table of all the teams in the league organised by the number of games they have got out of their 6 most experienced players this season:

Geelong 109 (1)
North 105 (13)
West Coast 101 (2)
Brisbane 96 (3)
Port Adelaide 91 (9)
Carlton 91 (16)
Essendon 90 (7)
Hawthorn 76 (12)
GWS 75 (5)
Gold Coast 73 (18)
Adelaide 69 (8)
Richmond 69 (4)
Collingwood 68 (6)
Footscray 68 (11)
Melbourne 66 (17)
Fremantle 64 (10)
St Kilda 46 (14)
Sydney 37 (15)

In brackets is the current position the team sits in the ladder.

We are firmly rooted to the bottom of this table. Not surprising that we have struggled. St Kilda and Melbourne have been in a similar position to us and are also low on this table. At the other end you have the top 3 teams in the top 4. Not so suprising either. There are some outliers, Richmond have done really well despite losing a lot of games from their top 6 (and that doesn't include Rance, he is number 7) for instance. But how many people think Geelong would still be top of the table if, instead of only losing 5 possible games from Ablett, Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Duncan, they had lost 77 games from them like we have from our top 6?

Interesting, albeit limited numbers. The numbers do not differentiate quality. Half our six are cooked. Playing them arguably would have weakened the team.

Interesting, albeit limited numbers. The numbers do not differentiate quality. Half our six are cooked. Playing them arguably would have weakened the team.

I'm a bit disappointed, I thought your first response to this was going to be to bag out our medical staff for being responsible for us missing so many games from these players ;)

You are right, though, there is a broad range of quality across different teams. But do you really think we would have been worse this year if we had had Grundy, McVeigh and Smith fit and available in our defence? If we had Buddy available each week? How much responsibility would that have removed from guys like McCartin and Melican? it could free up Dawson and/or Mills for more midfield time... I think at the start of the year the only one that the majority of people wouldn't have wanted getting games was Jack.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit disappointed, I thought your first response to this was going to be to bag out our medical staff for being responsible for us missing so many games from these players ;)

You are right, though, there is a broad range of quality across different teams. But do you really think we would have been worse this year if we had had Grundy, McVeigh and Smith fit and available in our defence? If we had Buddy available each week? How much responsibility would that have removed from guys like McCartin and Melican? it could free up Dawson and/or Mills for more midfield time... I think at the start of the year the only one that the majority of people wouldn't have wanted getting games was Jack.

Those guys being on the park, even in the twos, would increase the overall competition for spots in the senior team. This would potentially get more out of the entire group as opposed to the individual impacts of those players.

We should have won last week if we kicked down the line and not backwards. That’s a common trait of his coaching.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No not really.
He's playing kids in different positions to find out what we have in our group. No other coach would have dropped a fit Melican for a game against GWS after losing Rampe & COR to injury. In his presser he said he played Blakey on the wing in the second half. You can keep blaming Horse but he would have kicked both goals that Heeney missed & would have marked the ball that Rose dropped & wouldn't have kicked into the man on the mark as Rose did etc, etc, etc.

He's our coach now & it's clearly now a ridiculous discussion suggesting the players aren't happy he is coach because they have plenty of fight in them, but just lack a little extra senior assistance. Also, the lack of a tap ruckman hasn't pretty much decimated our ability to win more clearances so if you persist in blaming the coach, you are choosing the lazy way to pick over our games.

I’d like to see horse make the kids carry the clearances a bit more the last few weeks

Keep jpk fresh for 2020

I thought we made gws look slow
Actually, you’re spot on, we did make them look slow and for us...that’s a ******* first!

I’d like to see horse make the kids carry the clearances a bit more the last few weeks

Keep jpk fresh for 2020

I thought we made gws look slow
I hate to say this Kingy but it will be the kids that are going to carry us into the finals etc going forward from 2020 because frankly, any fast game plan is going to go past JPK in an instant & watching the replay the other night indicated to me that young Clarke, flaws & all, was much more influential than JPK was in the second half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back