Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

What a bitter bloke Dunks has turned out to be.
I wonder how many other clubs would have got him past 200 games with that kicking action.
Really disappointing when ex players bash their previous clubs but when it's a bloke who was respected enough to become a Hall Of Famer, it leaves a very sour taste in one's mouth. He should enjoy the success his son is having & obviously the club knew full well we weren't going to be his long term home based on this attitude from his dad.

I thought this was all over after the Hall of Fame but it seems it's become worse for Dunks since he was inducted.
Thank god he wasn't kept on as defensive coach by Roos because the last think we needed was a club f . .k.r mentoring the boys.
Good riddance to that family I say.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney

What a bitter bloke Dunks has turned out to be.
I wonder how many other clubs would have got him past 200 games with that kicking action.
Really disappointing when ex players bash their previous clubs but when it's a bloke who was respected enough to become a Hall Of Famer, it leaves a very sour taste in one's mouth. He should enjoy the success his son is having & obviously the club knew full well we weren't going to be his long term home based on this attitude from his dad.

I thought this was all over after the Hall of Fame but it seems it's become worse for Dunks since he was inducted.
Thank god he wasn't kept on as defensive coach by Roos because the last think we needed was a club f . .k.r mentoring the boys.
Good riddance to that family I say.

I don’t have a problem with it to be honest. Some people just don’t get along, maybe Roos was the initial problem? I could definitely see that, he’s had issues with others.

It only takes one person to ruin everything for someone.

The non-drafting of Josh is an interesting one because I’m almost positive Dunkley started that he wanted Josh in Victoria yet we now have this little story. No mention that we would’ve taken Kyle in the mid-season if Melbourne or (any other club) hadn’t swooped? Kyle wasn’t ready last year, that’s undeniable. Oh well, move on!

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The non-drafting of Josh is an interesting one because I’m almost positive Dunkley started that he wanted Josh in Victoria yet we now have this little story. No mention that we would’ve taken Kyle in the mid-season if Melbourne or (any other club) hadn’t swooped?

Asked if he had a problem with 16-year-old Josh going to the Swans under the father and son rule Dunkley said: "In a perfect world he'd get a Victorian club.
"That's being selfish because of where we live (Victoria).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Look, I'll cut Andrew some slack here. He isn't going to come out and admit he, Josh and the Swans tampered with the draft, better we look foolish in not matching the bid than working to help the family out and everyone is happy on draft night.
If it is true the Swans didn't rate Josh then good on Andrew for being honest, should be more of it. But if it's true we followed a request and didn't match a bid by a Victorian club then he could've just got around it by talking about the points/Mills etc. If we've done the right thing by the Dunkley family and Andrew (who publicly said they preferred Josh play in Victoria) the whole narrative about his retirement, no coaching job and making it look like the Swans have some grand conspiracy against two generations of the Dunkley family is frankly ungracious. Guess only those close to the club know the truth.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
If it is true the Swans didn't rate Josh then good on Andrew for being honest, should be more of it. But if it's true we followed a request and didn't match a bid by a Victorian club then he could've just got around it by talking about the points/Mills etc. If we've done the right thing by the Dunkley family and Andrew (who publicly said they preferred Josh play in Victoria) the whole narrative about his retirement, no coaching job and making it look like the Swans have some grand conspiracy against two generations of the Dunkley family is frankly ungracious. Guess only those close to the club know the truth.
To me it reads that he's still bitter that he wasn't offered a role after retirement. To his own admission he then distanced himself from the club

The Dunkley saga is murky and who knows the truth of the matter. I hope over time that any remaining wounds are healed. Andrew was a bloody fearless tough defender who copped plenty, returned heaps and contributed to many fine wins.

I like all our ex players to stay part of the Swans' community, including great players like Andrew.

I thought we did but he wanted to stay in Victoria and we accomodated that. Between the Dunkleys and the Swans it’s border line draft tampering.
Depends on which article you believe

afl.com.au quotes an unnamed "A recruiter, who wished to remain anonymous and is not affiliated with the Swans or Bulldogs"

"The Swans agreed not to match a bid from a (Victorian) club for him, only if (the bid) came from a side outside Victoria.

but a The Age article addressed this rumour directly and says

Not so, say the Swans. They have had a closer look at Dunkley than any club but the Tigers, and understood his flaws and how he compared to player-types they already had on their list. They had to pitch 30 picks ahead in a not-so-great draft when discussing who might be there, but felt as though they needed to get some good kickers into the club and that they would have options. Tyrone Leonardis offers that, plus some run and creativity. The Swans rated Jordan Dawson's foot skills highly, too.

If you follow the club's official line, the thinking seems to be we were well stocked with inside mids (hello Tom Mitchell) and could do with some outside run.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Interview with Dunkley seemed to raise more questions than answers.

He seemed to say one thing (i.e I am not bitter) but then immediately contradict himself (i.e specifying that he wasnt happy for the club when we won the GF in 2005). Kudos to Mike for keeping at it, but his answers didn't make a lot of sense.

He wouldnt go to the SCG to watch Josh play as a guest of the club, because then he would have to leave his (adult) children home alone. Mike laughed like he was joking - I don't think he was joking though.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
What happened to Glenn Page? Between 1989 and 1992, he only played 18 games for Sydney, then 5 for North.
Wayne Carey has said twice this year on Triple M that Page was the most dominant junior player he saw, and often pipped him for B & F awards in Albury

Injuries? Not big enough?
Just not good enough at the highest level?

Remember him quite well, he suffered a broken leg vs melb when rod grinter kicked him which I think was 1990, I dont think he played for swans after that.

Whether it was the injury or not I'm not sure why he never went on to a bigger career, his brother Brett was on our list as well and may have snuck a game or two.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Interview with Dunkley seemed to raise more questions than answers.

He seemed to say one thing (i.e I am not bitter) but then immediately contradict himself (i.e specifying that he wasnt happy for the club when we won the GF in 2005). Kudos to Mike for keeping at it, but his answers didn't make a lot of sense.

He wouldnt go to the SCG to watch Josh play as a guest of the club, because then he would have to leave his (adult) children home alone. Mike laughed like he was joking - I don't think he was joking though.
Well this bloke is one bitter person & he left no doubt as to why we don't have Josh with us & it is because of his hate for the club/ Roos.
End of discussion.

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2005
Bentleigh, Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Remember him quite well, he suffered a broken leg vs melb when rod grinter kicked him which I think was 1990, I dont think he played for swans after that.
Whether it was the injury or not I'm not sure why he never went on to a bigger career, his brother Brett was on our list as well and may have snuck a game or two.
Thanks. Interesting. I don't remember him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back