Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
images

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
McGrath always gets a lot of stick for this, but I always saw it as a fairly facetious response to reporters asking a stupid question.

I didn’t hate him doing it admittedly and usually he got it right.
It did expose a bit of underlying arrogance that surpassed that of most of his contemporaries though (not without merit admittedly)

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Probably close to my favourite bowler of all time.

Short bowler, express pace, great action and could swing the ball both ways. The fire to boot.

Not relying on his physical traits meant he was awesome in India, he had the pace, the low skiddy bounce and the reverse swing skills to kill it there.

He's in my personal all time XI.

The 4th best SR of all time for bowlers with more than 100wkts and pretty much #1 when you consider he's about 300 wkts clear of those ahead of him on that list. A SR of 42 with 439 test wickets is just nuts.

Probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves in Australia, as of all the countries, he was pretty average here for his standards.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably close to my favourite bowler of all time.

Short bowler, express pace, great action and could swing the ball both ways. The fire to boot.

Not relying on his physical traits meant he was awesome in India, he had the pace, the low skiddy bounce and the reverse swing skills to kill it there.

He's in my personal all time XI.

The 4th best SR of all time for bowlers with more than 100wkts and pretty much #1 when you consider he's about 300 wkts clear of those ahead of him on that list. A SR of 42 with 439 test wickets is just nuts.

Probably doesn't get the recognition he deserves in Australia, as of all the countries, he was pretty average here for his standards.

And still managed to play a big role in two victories here

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Just about my absolute favourite bowler of all times. Just loved his energy and passion with which he bowled, especially in test cricket. Will always remember the angry maniac like manner with which he celebrated his wickets with a red face and veins popping through the neck lol. Always knew his end was near but was sad it was going to end soon when he kept getting injured again and again. I'll always respect him for the way he kept trying to make a comeback in test cricket and represent South Africa and also try and desperately win a world cup for SA before his retirement even after getting recurrent injuries, speaks volumes about his passion for the game and I'll respect him more than De Villiers for that fact alone.

He is also an absolute gentleman to boot off the field as well, he is my dream fast bowler in cricket. He was someone who could move the ball at 145 clicks and could perform nearly everywhere in the world. I'll remember a lot of his performances, but particularly his devastating reverse swing spell of 7/51 on a dry track at Nagpur scything through a much vaunted Indian line up at home, and the searing spell of 5/23 at Ahmedabad bowling out India for 76 in their first innings (still remains India's 2nd lowest ever score at home). He was the best ever fast bowler to have performed in India in my time watching cricket. Hope he has a great retirement life.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I didn’t hate him doing it admittedly and usually he got it right.
It did expose a bit of underlying arrogance that surpassed that of most of his contemporaries though (not without merit admittedly)
My point was if you ask an athlete how they think they are going to go in an upcoming tournament, you're putting them in a bit of a no-win situation. If they think they'll win they're arrogant, if they think they'll lose they lack self belief.

My understanding was that "five-nil" was just McGrath's stock-standard answer to a dumb question, and had very little correlation to what he might have privately believed in any given situation.

Definitely one of the best

It's hard to compare greats as they all bring different aspects to the game but Steyn is in the company of Lillee, McGrath, Akram, Marshall, Younis, Hadlee, Ambrose etc etc

A joy to watch................but not face

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
The absolute best wrist position and snap I’ve ever seen. Alongside Wasim and Anderson he kept the seam bolt upright virtually every ball he bowled. Better seam bowler than Anderson plus was up around 150+ at his peak.

Of pace bowlers I’ve seen play, from a technical perspective he is outright first.

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 25, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The moment that comes to mind immediately when i think of Dale Steyn. Michael Clarke was in sublime form at this point of his career but was dismissed by sensational piece of bowling.

Dale Steyn vs Steve Smith would have been brilliant to watch in South Africa last year. A phenomenal bowler and competitor who'll be missed on the field.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The moment that comes to mind immediately when i think of Dale Steyn. Michael Clarke was in sublime form at this point of his career but was dismissed by sensational piece of bowling.

Dale Steyn vs Steve Smith would have been brilliant to watch in South Africa last year. A phenomenal bowler and competitor who'll be missed on the field.

Holy f*** what a ball

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was unplayable which goes to show how good Tendulkar was. Could have had him out numerous times. Balls moving both ways. Incredible.

Ive tried hard to find extended highlights of that innings over the years but failed - BCCI copyright perhaps? Id even buy the whole test if I could somehow. Anyone know where to get such a thing should it exist?

I've long searched for even a short highlights of that battle only in vain. I searched in twitter wondering if I could find some link and I did find a few links on YouTube but surprise surprise, all of those channels had been taken down. The BCCI really is an insufferable organisation.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
A pity, one of my favourite test bowlers to watch. An average of 22 and a strike rate of 42 for 400+ wickets is an good as anybody. That strike rate is awesome, better than Waqar Younis.

Test strike rates.

Doodlesweaver

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've long searched for even a short highlights of that battle only in vain. I searched in twitter wondering if I could find some link and I did find a few links on YouTube but surprise surprise, all of those channels had been taken down. The BCCI really is an insufferable organisation.

It's mean-spirited to be that legal about the internet.

Back