May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
How to unpick the Dogs:

A. SCORING
  • Don't go all the way back with their high defensive press. Have 2-3 smart players around the centre ready to break the "off-side trap". All need to be mobile, preferably one of them 190cm or more.
  • Have 3-4 players ready to move the ball quickly across half-back when the side regains possession. They need to be slick ball handlers.
  • Look for the intercept/turnover opportunities - especially when the Dogs try their chip kicks from about half-forward and their forward line is crowded.
  • When the (inevitable) turnover eventually comes, move the ball swiftly through the half-back and centre before the Dogs can get back.
  • At least one of the forwards to press hard, going goalside of their defender.
  • Final delivery: go deep looking for the player out the back. If he's covered already, lower your eyes. They should be outnumbered in their d50 so there will still be a loose target about 30-40m out.
  • Kick goal, rinse and repeat
I'm pretty sure all sides would be across this recipe by now.

B. STOPPING THE WB FROM SCORING (GOALS)
  • Maintain intense pressure on the ball carriers in the midfield so their f50 entries are rushed, long and/or high.
  • If it's a choice of marking one of two loose men going forward and one them is Hunter, always mark the other one. Hunter's i50s won't hurt as much and most of them should be easily rebounded.
  • Have someone block Naughton when the ball does come in high. He's about the only risk of a mark within range in the corridor. Scragging him is OK too - he only gets an average of about 1 FK a game. Hasn't learned to flop or throw out his arms yet.
  • Clog the hot spot with players who can take intercept marks or spoil
  • Have a few smalls also clogging up their f50
  • Blocking the corridor will force them to come via the boundary making shots harder to convert
  • Don't worry too much about them having set shots from marks or frees. Unless it's 20m out straight in front (or it's Dickson or Schache) they are pretty sure to miss.

Agree 100%. Our press worked when we had faster, better one on one players such as Morris, Boyd and Hamling. Its not working at the moment, the worst offender is Cordy. We need to tweak our "high" press. Example was Hipwood's goal in the last quarter. A contest around 70 metres from goal (2 on 2) lose ball falls their way and is kicked to Hipwood with Cordy again stuck in no mans land running back with the flight. Why wasn't he just manning Hipwood up! We are giving up goals like this every week. Soul destroying to all the hard work done by the onballers. Tweaking the press will also free up more space in our own 50 and give Schache and Naughten some space.

Braybrook Son

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For every one of those, there are 20 75 metre missiles. How can you not see that?

I know I'd prefer to see Hunter and Macrae get caught every now and then if they stopped their ineffective short kicking to shallow areas of the forward line.
I agree on Hunter and Macrae kicking longer but Suckling is a liability

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Goes back to Sam Lloyd’s comments after the geelong game Mutt. Our bottom handful are the problem.
Definitely think Lloyd was spot on. Just looking at our side last week - imagine replacing:

Defence: Cordy + Wood
Midfield: McLean (too many mids, he has potential to produce but not in our current side)
Forward: Richards + Dickson

with
Defence: Hartley + Keath
Midfield: no replacement, shuffle positions around
Forward: Martin + Papley/Tippa

Our side suddenly looks immensely better just adding in a few players, especially down back.

These 5 are becoming serial culprits for not contributing week to week. They've each had some outstanding or very good games this year, but have also each been extremely lucky to even feature in the 22 at times throughout the year. I'd like to think Cordy can find a role up forward, Richards can go back to the HPF and develop there, while McLean finds a role in the side, but right now these 5 are really dragging us down.

Probably being a bit rough on McLean here. There have been worse players this year (Suckling, Libba, Dale and Trengove have had some shocking weeks) but I really think he is falling victim to our gluttony of midfielders. If we don't cut back on the number of pure mids in the side, then I struggle to see a place for him going forward. He'd easily feature in the best 22 of almost any other side in the competition, and would be among the top 10 players in many sides.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Macrae yes. Hunter no.
Would need to be 40m maximum for Hunter. He'd be stretched to clear the defenders in the goal square from 50m out.

Hunter can kick it a good 50+ metres. He just has to choose to wind it up and sink the hoof.

Hunter can kick it a good 50+ metres. He just has to choose to wind it up and sink the hoof.
Maybe he can, but it's rarely ever seen. Dickson kicks further than Hunter and people are saying Tory can't kick it over a jam tin these days.

Triple Baileys

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe he can, but it's rarely ever seen. Dickson kicks further than Hunter and people are saying Tory can't kick it over a jam tin these days.

Earlier in the season, Dickson appeared to have lost penetration with his goal kicking. But he's loosened up in more recent rounds and has been making the distance more comfortably.

I still reckon Hunter can roost it, the problem is he has schooled himself (coach's instructions?) to keep the eyes down and look for the short pass always. Unshackle Hunter's Hoof, Bevo!!!

Earlier in the season, Dickson appeared to have lost penetration with his goal kicking. But he's loosened up in more recent rounds and has been making the distance more comfortably.

I still reckon Hunter can roost it, the problem is he has schooled himself (coach's instructions?) to keep the eyes down and look for the short pass always. Unshackle Hunter's Hoof, Bevo!!!
My view is there was never really a problem with Dickson's kicking. It just suited a particular line that was being peddled on this board.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Definitely think Lloyd was spot on. Just looking at our side last week - imagine replacing:

Defence: Cordy + Wood
Midfield: McLean (too many mids, he has potential to produce but not in our current side)
Forward: Richards + Dickson

with
Defence: Hartley + Keath
Midfield: no replacement, shuffle positions around
Forward: Martin + Papley/Tippa

Our side suddenly looks immensely better just adding in a few players, especially down back.

These 5 are becoming serial culprits for not contributing week to week. They've each had some outstanding or very good games this year, but have also each been extremely lucky to even feature in the 22 at times throughout the year. I'd like to think Cordy can find a role up forward, Richards can go back to the HPF and develop there, while McLean finds a role in the side, but right now these 5 are really dragging us down.

Probably being a bit rough on McLean here. There have been worse players this year (Suckling, Libba, Dale and Trengove have had some shocking weeks) but I really think he is falling victim to our gluttony of midfielders. If we don't cut back on the number of pure mids in the side, then I struggle to see a place for him going forward. He'd easily feature in the best 22 of almost any other side in the competition, and would be among the top 10 players in many sides.
Richards has been disappointing in all the games where he plays half forward. The kid plays best behind the ball at half back.

During the game I commented on seeing several pushes in the back and holdings in stoppages that weren't paid to us. It appeared particularly noticable in the 1st quarter. For those who have seen the replay, does this observation have any credence or was I just showing my bias under pressure?

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
During the game I commented on seeing several pushes in the back and holdings in stoppages that weren't paid to us. It appeared particularly noticable in the 1st quarter. For those who have seen the replay, does this observation have any credence or was I just showing my bias under pressure?
My opinion, not worth worrying about

Tons of free kicks don't go either way to both teams

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My view is there was never really a problem with Dickson's kicking. It just suited a particular line that was being peddled on this board.
Not IMO. His kicking length was off early maybe he was carrying. It's improved as the season has gone on. Still goes to ground easily and not much in the way of second efforts. Interesting if he gets another contract. He may be told to wait and see depending on end of season ins.

I disagree. Groin troubles equate to weak kicks imho.
Not IMO. His kicking length was off early maybe he was carrying. It's improved as the season has gone on. Still goes to ground easily and not much in the way of second efforts. Interesting if he gets another contract. He may be told to wait and see depending on end of season ins.
Yes, an injury could well have had a short term impact as you've both implied. That wasn't really my point.

I was referring more to the opinion that he is past it and no longer has it in him to kick 50m. Whether he has recovered from an injury or was never seriously affected in the first place he has clearly put that issue to rest by showing in recent weeks that he can kick a goal from a set shot 50m out.

I agree his future beyond 2019 is in the balance. He's OOC at the end of this year. He hasn't been terrible but he'd want to finish off this year with a clutch of goals if he wants to make his case for continuing next year.

Back