Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't forget Tom Murphy is going to be elevated to the list as part of his contract as well.
Is this confirmed? When Zurhaar signed his two year extension, the article specifically stated he would be upgraded to the senior list in the second year, which would be required anyway because it would also be his fourth year on the list.

But the article for Murphy just said two years - nothing about an upgrade:

I assumed that meant both years would be on the rookie list, noting the second year of that deal is still just his third year on the rookie list.

Has there been anything come out since to confirm otherwise?

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Is this confirmed? When Zurhaar signed his two year extension, the article specifically stated he would be upgraded to the senior list in the second year, which would be required anyway because it would also be his fourth year on the list.

I assumed that meant both years would be on the rookie list, noting the second year of that deal is still just his third year on the rookie list.

He has another year on the rookie list, there was no gaurantees with his rookie contract

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Luke Jackson’s tipped to be a bit of a bolter isn’t he? Likely top 10 I think

Extremely doubtful.

He will be a 20-30 pick in my opinion.

He's:

1. A ruckman
2. Under 200cm's.

There's even talk he could last into the 30's.

I could see a side taking him as high as 15ish if they were extremely keen to lock him away.

In reality he's a top 10 player. It's a Grundy/English type scenario.

It's a good situation for us, as our second rounder will fall right in that slot and we need a young developing ruckman, with live trading you can really engineer the players your list needs.

He's as good as there's been in a few years in terms of rucks.

He may never reach Grundy/Gawn levels of hitout dominance because of his reach, but he's got the potential to be better than both of them around the ground.

As a physicaly bustling mid/ruck that can also go forward, or even a forward/ruck like Brown has developed into, he's an awesome prospect.

There was a tweet in the individual player thread that mentioned something about elevation which for some reason has disseappeared (not sure why tweets show blank on older posts). At this stage, ignore my post until there is some confirmation.

Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have seen a lot of highlights for Ash and he certainly has some attributes that we lack, but do any of the ITK types have a view on his defensive skills?

How’s his ability to read the play? Body positioning and 1v1?

His run out of the backline would be great, but might not be much good to us if he can’t defend.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Extremely doubtful.

He's:

1. A ruckman
2. Under 200cm's.

I could see a side taking him as high as 15ish if they were extremely keen to lock him away.

It's a good situation for us, as our second rounder will fall right in that slot and we need a young developing ruckman, with live trading you cancc really engineer the players your list needs.

He may never reach Grundy/Gawn levels of hitout dominance because of his reach, but he's got the potential to be better than both of them around the ground.

As a physicaly bustling mid/ruck that can also go forward, or even a forward/ruck like Brown has developed into, he's an awesome prospect.
Well big wraps for the lad Pykie as I rate Gawn and especially Grundy nearly elite around the ground. Your knowledge on the draft is very very good so obviously would be a great pick for us if we happened to land him.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
August power rankings:

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Have seen a lot of highlights for Ash and he certainly has some attributes that we lack, but do any of the ITK types have a view on his defensive skills?

How’s his ability to read the play? Body positioning and 1v1?

His run out of the backline would be great, but might not be much good to us if he can’t defend.

It's never been a prerequisite for us in the past, why all of a sudden does it matter now?

Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country | General Defender
21/06/2001 | 186cm | 80kg

Along with Young, Ash is the other standout Country prospect in defence. The Murray Bushrangers runner has few flaws to his game, owning the defensive 50 with a massive amount of intercept marks and rebounds, while slicing up opposition zones with his elite kicking ability. He is a player that just catches the eye, gets himself into the right positions, and can set up teammates around the ground or in attack. He has hardly put a foot wrong this season, and while his performance on the MCG had its ups and downs, his NAB League form is not to be questioned. He will be a massive chance for the Morrish Medal if he stays fit, and is a crucial part of the Murray Bushrangers outfit. The noticeable advantage with Ash compared to a lot of half-backs is he can win his own ball, and while he might only win a third of his possessions in a contest, he is comparably low with handball receives, almost winning more touches from marking than from handballs. If he and Young both play off half-back at the National Under 18 Championships, expect Country to have plenty of run and penetration.
July Ranking: #4
Last month: After a shaky start to the final game against Western Australia, Ash had a massive second half to have a real impact on the contest for Vic Country. While Country ultimately fell short in its quest for the title, Ash had shown enough to win All-Australian selection. The elite user averaged 23.0 disposals, 5.0 marks and 5.0 rebounds per game in his four outings. He has since returned to the Murray Bushrangers, where he averaged 25 disposals, 4.5 marks, 4.0 tackles, and playing large proportions of his games up forward, booted 3.4.

Mentioned Lachie Ash, Hayden Young, Brodie Kemp, Caleb Serong, Deven Robertson, possible bid on GWS academy player Tom Green as the most likely choices.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Extremely doubtful.

He's:

1. A ruckman
2. Under 200cm's.

It's a good situation for us, as our second rounder will fall right in that slot and we need a young developing ruckman, with live trading you can really engineer the players your list needs.

I'm not really a ruck craft guy, but I can't imagine 3cm is a big difference in terms of abilities to win taps? He's 3cm shorter than Goldy, but supposedly has freakish athleticism.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I'm not really a ruck craft guy, but I can't imagine 3cm is a big difference in terms of abilities to win taps? He's 3cm shorter than Goldy, but supposedly has freakish athleticism.

It is critical for 80% of ruck contests.

You only jump at center bounces, throw ups and throw ins are generally decided by body strength, positioning and your standing reach/wingspan as you aren't jumping to contest the ball.

Reach/wingspan is most of the time (but not all the time) correlated with your height.

We don't measure it at the draft combine like they do in basketball, someone like Tarryn Thomas has noticeably long arms, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a 6'5" or 6'6" wingspan (i.e the average wingspan for a person who is 6'5" tall), despite being 6'2"-6'3".

Which is why he appears to rise above packs when going for marks so effortlessly. It's not his leap getting him up there, as he's not actually super athletic.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is critical for 80% of ruck contests.

You only jump at center bounces, throw ups and throw ins are generally decided by body strength, positioning and your standing reach/wingspan as you aren't jumping to contest the ball.

Reach/wingspan is most of the time (but not all the time) correlated with your height.

We don't measure it at the draft combine like they do in basketball, someone like Tarryn Thomas has long arms, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a 6'5" or 6'6" wingspan (i.e the average wingspan for a person who is 6'5" tall), despite being 6'2"-6'3".

Yeah that's what I was thinking. In the combat sports reach is far more important than height. So I guess, what's the kid's reach like?

Pykie

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Yeah that's what I was thinking. In the combat sports reach is far more important than height. So I guess, what's the kid's reach like?

It may be measured internally, but it's not a released statistic at the combine or at TAC Cup level.

They do the standing vertical jump at the combine, but that is a fairly useless statistic in AFL imo and brings jumping athleticism into it, which is getting more and more irrelevant for ruckman in modern footy.

Hand size is usually a very important stat at the NFL combine as that determines some players footwork, ability to push off and the cleanliness with the ball for the backfield players like the receivers and running backs.

We used to measure it, I can't recall if we still do and release it, however it's an extremely important metric for the same physical rating of how clean some players are with the ball and how strong they potentially are as contested marks.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarryn Thomas has large hands and long arms. As he's freaklishly clean and a great contested mark.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
/www.hoops.com.au/forum/43656-luke-jackson-picks-afl-over-basketball/

Anonymous

Last year
His height is the only measurement we have, though, and we don't know if it's 6'4" with lots of shoes or a genuine 6'6" that would probably be listed as 6'8" in the US. And if his wingspan is -3, that's a significant factor in pro potential.

Like #923, I was curious to see what he could make of hoops, given his junior dominance and the general translatability of rebounding numbers from one level to the next. I don't think he was going to the NBA but he could potentially have been an NBL All-Star and Boomer, IMO.

Back