150 Year Anniversary Dinner

Remove this Banner Ad

And his son Rick who I am sure was an AFL stooge.

Rick was not an AFL stooge. He was the CEO of the club and he was doing his job which was to steer the club under the directive of the Chairman and the board of directors, the majority of whom were in favour of relocation. If he opposed relocation, he would be in conflict with the board, his position would be untenable, and he would be forced to resign. As it played out, once the board resolved to stay in Melbourne, it was clear to all that his position was untenable, and that's when he did the only honourable thing left to do, which was to resign.

Should also be on Youtube by now.

Amongst a myriad of the G man's highlights over his time with us, the 2 that stick out most in my fading memory are his beautiful cleaning up of Billy Duckworth, and I hope somebody can confirm it, but I seem to recall him winning us a game at Princes Park with an after the siren goal, a la Blighty.

On the whole I think Saturday night was some carthasis the club needed.

Seen some pretty trying times since the turn of the century.

Let's celebrate where we came from, that we've over come adversity and we move forward together. They will never knock us down.
That's true, but we are here to win things, and are probably the only "small" club to do so. Yes the Dogs fluked one 3 years ago, but I genuinely believe that if we can preserve our culture we should be able to win flags in the current era.

Amongst a myriad of the G man's highlights over his time with us, the 2 that stick out most in my fading memory are his beautiful cleaning up of Billy Duckworth, and I hope somebody can confirm it, but I seem to recall him winning us a game at Princes Park with an after the siren goal, a la Blighty.
Can confirm.

Thanks for posting this, archeroo. It’s great to see that people such as Bob Ansett and Eugene Arocca were there as well as former players like Leigh Colbert, Anthony Furey, Peter German and Shane Clayton, amongst others. However, no matter how hard I looked, I couldn’t find Graeme Duff’s name on the list anywhere. 🤷‍♀️

Clearly there was no lobster entree.

That's true, but we are here to win things, and are probably the only "small" club to do so. Yes the Dogs fluked one 3 years ago, but I genuinely believe that if we can preserve our culture we should be able to win flags in the current era.

I was quoting Peter Chisnall.

You need to have your house in order off field to stand any chance on it.

We've seemingly sorted the business stuff.

I hope Saturday serves as a reminder or lesson for our current players of where we came from and that it's an honor and a privilege to be part of this club. That every time they pull on a jumper they do so with the champions of the past standing behind them.

Rick was not an AFL stooge. He was the CEO of the club and he was doing his job which was to steer the club under the directive of the Chairman and the board of directors, the majority of whom were in favour of relocation. If he opposed relocation, he would be in conflict with the board, his position would be untenable, and he would be forced to resign. As it played out, once the board resolved to stay in Melbourne, it was clear to all that his position was untenable, and that's when he did the only honourable thing left to do, which was to resign.

Have heard he's genuinely a lovely bloke but that's a cop-out. Do you think any other club in the league would've even considered appointing him as CEO?

Clearly he was 'installed' in every sense of the word and if he'd offered anything to the club as CEO in his own right would've stood a chance of surviving the coup. After all he wasn't a board member.

The fact the guy is since unsighted as a sporting organisation executive would suggest he was never genuinely part of that industry on merit.

Aylett probably saw Gold Coast as the only option for the Kangaroos to live on and was probably quite pessimistic about the outcome.

I'd like to hear Aylett's reasoning retrospectively, alternatively I don't think his moments of latter day poor decision making should tarnish him as a North person and a player.

For whatever bad he may have done, he's done ALOT of good for the club.

I know nothing, to be clear. However, I’d like to think that Aylett was doing what he thought was best for the club. You could argue, obtusely, that he was 100% correct. If the spectre of the Gold Coast had not been raised, countless people among us would not have gotten off their collective asses and prevented it from happening. As they say, it’s an ill wind that blows no good...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there's anything in that clip that is bettered by its modern equivalent.
So I did post the commentary was great for the first bit and then went back and watched more and yeah its a bit f***ed with the casual racism.

Have heard he's genuinely a lovely bloke but that's a cop-out. Do you think any other club in the league would've even considered appointing him as CEO?

Clearly he was 'installed' in every sense of the word and if he'd offered anything to the club as CEO in his own right would've stood a chance of surviving the coup. After all he wasn't a board member.

The fact the guy is since unsighted as a sporting organisation executive would suggest he was never genuinely part of that industry on merit.

I agree. I stand to be corrected but didn't he get a backroom gig with the AFL when he finished up with us?

About 4:25 in. Whole video is worth a watch for Jimmy's clip.

Thanks for the memories mate. Standing under the windsock that day was a delight but you younguns can just imagine the tension between supporters as the physical stuff on field played out. It was bloody war and I loved every minute of it!

So I did post the commentary was great for the first bit and then went back and watched more and yeah its a bit f***ed with the casual racism.

I've been dark about it since that day.:mad:

Stupid *******.

Thanks for the memories mate. Standing under the windsock that day was a delight but you younguns can just imagine the tension between supporters as the physical stuff on field played out. It was bloody war and I loved every minute of it!

Yeah, I had a couple of scuffles over there that day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back