News Assistant Coach Discussion - Leigh Adams joining?

Remove this Banner Ad

Well as reported on 360 he left for more coin, plain and simple, Richmond not happy either but weren't prepared to give him more
Well that pretty much say's it all.
1 year left on his contract and he pulls the pin for more coin.
I would have made him see out his contract and screwed both Essendon and BC over.
Sometimes we aren't ruthless enough.

McRae is brilliant as VFL coach.
I think it would be ill advised to change his role.
The way I see it Worsfold has one more year, Caracella would take over in time.
In terms of assistants, personally I was never impressed by Newman.
If Fly doesn’t win the VFL Premiership this year then a change should take place as imo with his list he’s underachieved. We went out in straight sets last year and lost to a stand-alone Port in 2017 where we were hot favourites both years.

Last edited:

MacRae's job is not to win VFL flags as that is meaningless. His job is to get players to play in a certain way - value defence as well as offence - own the outside of contests too. That is the so-called Richmond way. This way players can seamlessly graduate to the senior team and contribute.

On this front, he is almost the most important person at our club and has been doing a fantastic job. As an added bonus the players absolutely love him.

Not really bothered by the VFL results as such.
I believe McRae is brilliant at developing talent.
Bigger picture.
Definitely a good communicator and player game plan development coach, but results are important imo as it builds a ruthless winning culture in the place. Hawthorn and Box Hill are prime examples.

Last edited:
Definitely a good communicator and development coach, but results are important imo as it builds a ruthless winning culture in the place. Hawthorn and Box Hill are prime examples.
And we've beaten both those ruthless winning culture teams this year.......

MacRae's job is not to win VFL flags as that is meaningless. His job is to get players to play in a certain way - value defence as well as offence - own the outside of contests too. That is the so-called Richmond way. This way players can seamlessly graduate to the senior team and contribute.

On this front, he is almost the most important person at our club and has been doing a fantastic job. As an added bonus the players absolutely love him.
The Richmond way is to be elite in all aspects. The reasons why we’ve been successful is bc we strive for excellence.
I tell my kids if you aim for 50% you will most likely fail so always aim for the maximum.

Last edited:
The Richmond way is to be elite in all aspects. The reasons why we’ve been successful is bc we strive for excellence.
I tell my kids if you aim for 50% you will fail so always aim for the maximum.
Your outlook is NOT what happens at the club. The club now focusses on the process. It does not look at success as its goals. It knows that if it focusses on the process, success will inevitably come. That is the true way to success. Your view is the way we used to look at it and never achieved it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your outlook is NOT what happens at the club. The club now focusses on the process. It does not look at success as its goals. It knows that if it focusses on the process, success will inevitably come. That is the true way to success. Your view is the way we used to look at it and never achieved it.
What a load of rubbish as the goal is still the ultimate prize. The pathways to it are equally crucial, but without a goal or target you can’t set processes in place to achieve them.

Sort of disappointed we did not offer Caracella more money, if that was a deciding factor.
It is a free market and he is one of the best in the biz.
We are one of the wealthiest clubs in the AFL and should be able to retain the very best.

It depends on the amount it took to move him. No doubt the club would have a guide on judging his worth.
It shouldn't be "keep at any cost". If that's his deciding factor (even though he's still under contract) what happens next time a club offers him an "inflated" contract to move?
That's the point of the soft cap on the football departments.

It’s how it’s done in most competitive industries , I’m seriously quite surprised . From memory Bolton finished up Immediately he accepted the role , or was it someone else

Pretty sure it was Bolton

Well that pretty much say's it all.
1 year left on his contract and he pulls the pin for more coin.
I would have made him see out his contract and screwed both Essendon and BC over.
Sometimes we aren't ruthless enough.
Greedy mofo ,we should have held him to the contract
Nah let him go, why force someone to stay who has obviously been sounding out other clubs for more cash. I would've marched him out the door yesterday and waved him goodbye.

Player development is crucial, but imo most players will develop if they have it in them. Cotchin Rance Dusty and Jack all naturally developed whilst we still had an underperforming VFL side. Rance and Jack spent a lot of time in the twos bc they were talls and they needed physical maturity to develop in, but the talent was always there
To me it comes down more to talent identification and getting kids ambitious enough to want to grow as a footballer.
Stack is the perfect example and Fly had very little to do with where he is today.
If Fly was so wonderful why are CEllis and Lennon duds? Why are Menadue and Markov still average after years on the list?
Get your picks right and Magic will happen, it’s not rocket Science.
Terry Wallet fell victim to this and he’s still regretting it today.

Last edited:
and last year , but no cigar. As I said if if If if if we lose.......

You said in a prior post, not all champion teams win flags ? We have developed into an elite club, 1 flag, another PF and now a good chance for at least another PF showing, all the while with our VFL side number 1 and being able to cope with huge hurdles. So what if we lose ? We finally have a club that has the clear ability for sustained success, even without our best players playing. That's not all down to just Blake lol

Smell the roses Amigo

Could not agree more! It is and will always be about the process...
It is easier to value 'the process' when your a top club and winning...
It's harder to value a process when your a losing club with all the outside pressures creating distracting noise about success and winning...
It is vitally important to bring the right people into your organization that recognize and value the importance of a process that values excellence...new school football!
Build that process of excellence and success will follow!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back