News Melbourne International Film Festival - Collingwood: From The Inside Out

Remove this Banner Ad

bencoop

Team Captain
Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been looking at the program for MIFF today and stumbled across this documentary that has been made by Josh Cable, former Collingwood media employee. Collingwood: From The Inside Out will make its World Debut at MIFF on the 15th of August at Melbourne Central Hoyts, it documents the club during 2018 and looks into the rebuild the club did. There are player interviews with Adam Treloar, Brodie Grundy and Jarryd Blair as well as an interview with Nathan Buckley. The documentary will focus a lot on player mental and physical health and claims to have unprecedented access to the inner sanctum. Following the screening on the 15th there will be a Q&A with filmmaker Josh Cable and Dr Kasey Symons.

Tickets are available now if anyone has a MIFF membership or they go on general sale on Friday, no idea how well it will sell as I hadn't heard about it until I was planning my MIFF sessions. I'm sure moments of the 2018 finals campaign will be hard to watch but I can't wait to see the insight into the club and the day to day workings of our rebuild.

More information can be found at - http://miff.com.au/program/film/miff-talks-collingwood-from-the-inside-out

Not sure how I feel about watching it.. we haven't won anything as yet.

If it's purely a doco about the insights of the club.. day to day runnings.. seeing raw emotion.. great.. a rebuild however is only ever complete when you win a premiership.. otherwise.. you've left something behind.

I've been looking at the program for MIFF today and stumbled across this documentary that has been made by Josh Cable, former Collingwood media employee. Collingwood: From The Inside Out will make its World Debut at MIFF on the 15th of August at Melbourne Central Hoyts, it documents the club during 2018 and looks into the rebuild the club did. There are player interviews with Adam Treloar, Brodie Grundy and Jarryd Blair as well as an interview with Nathan Buckley. The documentary will focus a lot on player mental and physical health and claims to have unprecedented access to the inner sanctum. Following the screening on the 15th there will be a Q&A with filmmaker Josh Cable and Dr Kasey Symons.

Tickets are available now if anyone has a MIFF membership or they go on general sale on Friday, no idea how well it will sell as I hadn't heard about it until I was planning my MIFF sessions. I'm sure moments of the 2018 finals campaign will be hard to watch but I can't wait to see the insight into the club and the day to day workings of our rebuild.

More information can be found at - http://miff.com.au/program/film/miff-talks-collingwood-from-the-inside-out

Does it include any VFL video? Could explain where that goes each week instead of being available for a replay.

Not sure how I feel about watching it.. we haven't won anything as yet.

If it's purely a doco about the insights of the club.. day to day runnings.. seeing raw emotion.. great.. a rebuild however is only ever complete when you win a premiership.. otherwise.. you've left something behind.
I'm actually studying narrative and film at the moment and in the process of making my own short film too.
Looking at this as if we had no idea what AFL or Collingwood was, a film like this must have a narrative of some sort, and so it does in following the life and routines of Grundy, Buckley(?) and Treloar (+another I couldn't see).
It follows the story of a team with little hope or prospect with a coach that looked as though he was on the way out, dark days.
It then proceeds to show the development of the team and these 4 characters and how they respond to adversity on the way.
I presume it finishes with the GF loss, and that in and of itself is a unique and interesting spin on the typical "protagonists' win" narrative structure and really would create an tragic and powerfully empathetic conclusion.

There's a narrative there that's worth watching I feel, even if just as a reminiscing of last year and how to never give up hope as something can come from seemingly nowhere.

The season isn't exactly over just now either... ;)

I'm actually studying narrative and film at the moment and in the process of making my own short film too.
Looking at this as if we had no idea what AFL or Collingwood was, a film like this must have a narrative of some sort, and so it does in following the life and routines of Grundy, Buckley(?) and Treloar (+another I couldn't see).
It follows the story of a team with little hope or prospect with a coach that looked as though he was on the way out, dark days.
It then proceeds to show the development of the team and these 4 characters and how they respond to adversity on the way.
I presume it finishes with the GF loss, and that in and of itself is a unique and interesting spin on the typical "protagonists' win" narrative structure and really would create an tragic and powerfully empathetic conclusion.

There's a narrative there that's worth watching I feel, even if just as a reminiscing of last year and how to never give up hope as something can come from seemingly nowhere.

The season isn't exactly over just now either... ;)

You reckon I'd make it as a comedian and that re?

Got my tickets.
Hearing Buckley tear up as he spoke to the players was powerful as hell.
Also tough hearing Blairy get the bad news of his delisting. The Treloar story seems pretty compelling as well.
Can’t wait to see it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They featured this on AFL 360 tonight. It looks like it was filmed over the course of 12 months and follows the journeys of Bucks, Adam Treloar, Brodie Grundy and Jarryd Blair over that period. It looks like Blair even allowed them to film his exit interview with Bucks which as we now know was when he got delisted and to continue to film him after the interview and his reactions to the delistment.

They featured this on AFL 360 tonight. It looks like it was filmed over the course of 12 months and follows the journeys of Bucks, Adam Treloar, Brodie Grundy and Jarryd Blair over that period. It looks like Blair even allowed them to film his exit interview with Bucks which as we now know was when he got delisted and to continue to film him after the interview and his reactions to the delistment.

That would have been some footage if that's the case. I mean... what if he went in not actually expecting to get told he'd be delisted?

The Mumbai Indians doco on their 2018 season on Netflix was compelling watching. They didn't win the championship either but was on the path. If this is anything similar it would be compelling watching too.

And MI won the IPL the next season (2019)

Just got home from it, bloody emotional. Hard to watch at times, there’s only a small bit about the GF, kinda opens and closes the film. The access is unbelievable, I’ve never seen footage so in depth before and the interviews are wonderful. Shows on ABC on September the 3rd, not to be missed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back