Discussion Football (Soccer) Thread

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bumping this thread. Keen as for the season to start next week, and looking forward to seeing how United respond after a really rough 12 months.

Definitely need at least two more signings, with the number one preference being Maguire. Don't think he's worth 90m at all but we desperately need him, you just pay it when you're in a position like we are. Hope we can keep Pogba if he's going to fully commit himself, and ideally bring in Bruno Fernandes as well, however I can't see it going through to be honest.
Rumours that a swap is in play for Lukaku and Dybala, and whilst a great player in Italy I'm not sure how he'd adapt in the EPL, especially in a side with holes everywhere like United have. Would be more of a luxury signing for a top, free flowing and ultra attacking side like City.

Wan-Bissaka is looking great already, think we've got an absolute star there. How does everyone find their teams are tracking?

Ive just put my name in , anyone else going it it . We want a Saint supporter to win .

No signings for the Reds over the transfer market, Klopp said as much in a presser in early January so I'm not surprised. We did however just release Simon Mignolet and signed backup GK Adrian.

I'm looking forward to the season but worried we may not have the depth to cover all of the EPL, UCL, domestic cups, and the Club World Cup. We are playing for a lot of silverware this year. Need to grab as many trophies as we can.

majortinkle

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I’m heading to Anfield for the home game against arsenal in a few weeks. Hoping for a win although i’m a bit worried about some of the incoming signings they’ve made mainly Nicolas Pepe.
Won’t count for much if we don’t sign a couple of defenders. Will be good to watch though - enjoy the 4-3 win...

I’m heading to Anfield for the home game against arsenal in a few weeks. Hoping for a win although i’m a bit worried about some of the incoming signings they’ve made mainly Nicolas Pepe.
Any chance you could take some photos and up them on here for us Aussie Liverpool fans to see ? Would be great.

theprospect

Club Legend
Saints Pledge Contributor
Sep 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
United still have a lot to do but our defence with two new signings has gone from an absolute shambles last year to now looking pretty solid.

De Gea with Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka would have to (at least on paper) have us up with the third or fourth best defence in the league. Hopefully that translates on the pitch. Still need to sign another defensive midfielder, given we'll be playing a 4-2-3-1 by the looks of it.

Pogba rumoured to be playing a bit deeper this season, where he can do a great job but we need him further up the pitch. Not much depth in that position beyond Matic who's getting on and McTominay.

Will be very happy to see the back of Lukaku in the coming days.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Well, I'm nearly a year late to this thread. Growing up in Malaysia during the 80s, the best supported 4 clubs were Liverpool, Man U, Everton and Spurs, probably bcos those were the only teams they showed on the Tele.

My dad was staunch Liverpool and he chose them bcos that's where Gerry and the Pacemakers were from. The more he played their tracks(which was daily), along with the Beatles and his other fav tunes, the more I refused to support Liverpool. I must've been only 8 or 9 when I stumbled on a book about the Munich Air Crash. Just had this empathy for them and in my mind they were the underdog with a sad past. Probably explains why I chose the saints too. 😅

As we rolled into the 90s(by now im living in melb) and United kept winning trophies, i just grew more indifferent to it all. Firstly I reckon footy and the saints took over, secondly I could actually see them live rather than on the tv. Also, it just bugged me no end that every man and his dog was jumping on the United bandwagon, 90% of them had no idea the history of the club nor even knew the basic fundamentals of the game. I know this sounds crazy, but i stopped caring after United won the treble in 99. Once the golden generation left and the Americans bought the club, it just felt like a soulless corporate entity.

Around that time I moved to Newcastle for a year of studies. It was truly an eye opener. On match days the whole city would come alive and the atmosphere was just incredible. People walking from their houses to the ground, through main streets and back alleys, it reminded me a lot of the Moorabbin days(albeit much larger). And the geordies, ive travelled and lived all over England, Scotland and Wales but they are easily the most endearing bunch of people in the country. Although it did take me weeks to understand their accent. 😂

These days I don't really support anyone. If anything I lean towards Newcastle. It's hard for me to feel any affinity with Man United, especially since there are hardly any local lads or guys that come through the United system anymore. To me it feels like a team of mercenaries with no loyalty. But I guess this is a league wide issue.

In truth I regret not following my dad. There is something about Liverpool that sets it apart from the other big guns. It has history, and it has soul. Too late for me to jump on now haha. I'll never hear the end of it. Although sometimes when no one is watching ill sing along to YNWA. 🤣.

tl;dr, Don't have a team. Soft spot for Newcastle.

Well, I'm nearly a year late to this thread. Growing up in Malaysia during the 80s, the best supported 4 clubs were Liverpool, Man U, Everton and Spurs, probably bcos those were the only teams they showed on the Tele.

My dad was staunch Liverpool and he chose them bcos that's where Gerry and the Pacemakers were from. The more he played their tracks(which was daily), along with the Beatles and his other fav tunes, the more I refused to support Liverpool. I must've been only 8 or 9 when I stumbled on a book about the Munich Air Crash. Just had this empathy for them and in my mind they were the underdog with a sad past. Probably explains why I chose the saints too. 😅

As we rolled into the 90s(by now im living in melb) and United kept winning trophies, i just grew more indifferent to it all. Firstly I reckon footy and the saints took over, secondly I could actually see them live rather than on the tv. Also, it just bugged me no end that every man and his dog was jumping on the United bandwagon, 90% of them had no idea the history of the club nor even knew the basic fundamentals of the game. I know this sounds crazy, but i stopped caring after United won the treble in 99. Once the golden generation left and the Americans bought the club, it just felt like a soulless corporate entity.

Around that time I moved to Newcastle for a year of studies. It was truly an eye opener. On match days the whole city would come alive and the atmosphere was just incredible. People walking from their houses to the ground, through main streets and back alleys, it reminded me a lot of the Moorabbin days(albeit much larger). And the geordies, ive travelled and lived all over England, Scotland and Wales but they are easily the most endearing bunch of people in the country. Although it did take me weeks to understand their accent. 😂

These days I don't really support anyone. If anything I lean towards Newcastle. It's hard for me to feel any affinity with Man United, especially since there are hardly any local lads or guys that come through the United system anymore. To me it feels like a team of mercenaries with no loyalty. But I guess this is a league wide issue.

In truth I regret not following my dad. There is something about Liverpool that sets it apart from the other big guns. It has history, and it has soul. Too late for me to jump on now haha. I'll never hear the end of it. Although sometimes when no one is watching ill sing along to YNWA. 🤣.

Good to have a new poster on here , the more the better . We try to be nice to all fans , even Man City ones lol . We had a great season on here last year with every one keeping it calm and just enjoying the good English footy , hoping this new season will be just as much fun.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Great post mate. You’re welcome to jump on the LFC bandwagon at any time!
Munich made a big impression on me too. Being a Liverpool supporter, I’m supposed to despise them but I felt terrible about that and had a soft spot for them since. Moving south meant I had to endure the media fawning over the London clubs, so any enmity went that way.

St Muir

All Australian
Oct 18, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
United still have a lot to do but our defence with two new signings has gone from an absolute shambles last year to now looking pretty solid.

De Gea with Shaw, Lindelof, Maguire and Wan-Bissaka would have to (at least on paper) have us up with the third or fourth best defence in the league. Hopefully that translates on the pitch. Still need to sign another defensive midfielder, given we'll be playing a 4-2-3-1 by the looks of it.

Pogba rumoured to be playing a bit deeper this season, where he can do a great job but we need him further up the pitch. Not much depth in that position beyond Matic who's getting on and McTominay.

Will be very happy to see the back of Lukaku in the coming days.
You seem to doing well and bringing in players the squad needs rather than glamour signings. I think Pogba’s all wrong for you but playing him deeper just might get him taking on more responsibility and thinking of the team.
My big hope for Manu is that those parasitic Glazers find another host and the club rises again. Then we can go back to hurling insults at one another 😉

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Won’t count for much if we don’t sign a couple of defenders. Will be good to watch though - enjoy the 4-3 win...

Agreed. We shouldn’t have a problem scoring if Auba, Laca, Ozil, Pepe etc get on the park enough. But defence is a serious issue. We clearly didn’t plan to lose Kos and now we’re rummaging through the bargain bin for a 32 year old David Luiz. Not sure that’s going to do it.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Great post mate. You’re welcome to jump on the LFC bandwagon at any time!
Munich made a big impression on me too. Being a Liverpool supporter, I’m supposed to despise them but I felt terrible about that and had a soft spot for them since. Moving south meant I had to endure the media fawning over the London clubs, so any enmity went that way.

For me I think it all changed when Hillsborough happened. Remember watching it live and not really understanding the magnitude of it all. That was a crazy couple of months, after Hillsborough it was Tiananmen sq massacre then Berlin wall went down..

Still couldn't jump on the bandwagon though mate, doesn't feel right. 🤣. I did go to Liverpool on derby day to soak up the atmosphere(didn't go to game). It wasn't as intense as some of the other derbies ive experienced. I guess Hillsborough mellowed a lot of the pure hatred. Funny enough the only game I went to in Liverpool was a Tranmere Rovers game.

Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Another year in the championship thread for me...

I actually find the championship and lower leagues to be more engrossing.

The promotion race is always interesting. So many big clubs down there. I'd like to see one of Leeds, Derby, Forest or Sheffield Wednesday go up. Big clubs with big histories, been down too long. And for the sheer craziness Millwall. If they got up itd be akin to a hobo going to a fine dining joint.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
You need to come back to the fold Juggy!
And dismiss all this Anfield and Liverpool talk my friend!

Now is the time the mighty red devils need all believers back on board!
And as for any so called home grown players, we are the only ones that
Actually give em a go and if you care to venture you will find the current
United team is stack full of them!

Now sing along bud 20 times, 20 times Man United
20 times, 20 times i say......👺

Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Should we have a bigfooty Saints fantasy league?

Let these MUFC and MCFC and LFC nuff nuffs talk the talk.
But we should be quietly confident about THFC.
Home Stadium.
19 games at the home stadium rather than Wembles.
Chairman who has loosened the purse strings with some more £/€ still to be flashed.
In trotting parlance: one out and one back.
COYS.

mightymalaka

What we have here is a failure to communicate!
May 7, 2018
Road to Nowhere
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United
Let these MUFC and MCFC and LFC nuff nuffs talk the talk.
But we should be quietly confident about THFC.
Home Stadium.
19 games at the home stadium rather than Wembles.
Chairman who has loosened the purse strings with some more £/€ still to be flashed.
In trotting parlance: one out and one back.
COYS.
Yeah you should be quietly confident Sunny, with the emphasis on quietly! :p

Spurs may well be one out and one back, but you just know that when the whips
Are cracking they will get bailed up on the fence and finish an unlucky 3rd again!

MUFKilda

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2017
Manchester, England
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Manchester United, Hibernian FC

Back