Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

Remove this Banner Ad

Really hope this isn't true. Agree that this will hurt more than losing Neale, and that hurt a lot.

She wants to start a family which means she wants to move closer to her parents. This is the modus operandi of the Millennial who must rely on their parents to raise their children.

Hopefully Lachie Neale's missus is the same, but there was some conjecture on the mutha in law

say the rebuild is complete - Brad Hill staying could be the difference between winning a premiership or not (just like Kelly for Geelong this year).
if hill is off so are we, when he isnt playing we look significantly worse. its not like Neale where you can just get another one, it would actually be disastrous if he left

If Brad Hill wants to go in the off-season I think it's a combination of things being his partner and his brother. Brad must have a pretty good idea that Stephen is not playing for us next year. That was the reason he came back to WA.

Colin Young is not exactly in the business of supporting Freo to its maiden premiership.

Glass half full if we get St Kilda to trade (assume they miss coniglio)
Mayne = pick 23 =B Hill = pick 5 (+ B Acres?)
pick 54 = Lachie Neale = pick 6 = Jesse Hogan

Mayne (Hill) + Neale + Weller
=
Pick 5 + pick 6 + pick 2

I really hope we avoid Melbourne in hills trade and trade with any other Vic team.. They played smart with hogan last year and trying to play again with Angus this year

If we want Angus, it should be separate trade or if he involved in hill trade it should be in way advantageous to freo

I really hope we avoid Melbourne in hills trade and trade with any other Vic team.. They played smart with hogan last year and trying to play again with Angus this year

If we want Angus, it should be separate trade or if he involved in hill trade it should be in way advantageous to freo
they did not play smart with Hogan, they played their cards day 1

Oh my. You serious? They played the Hogan trade extremely badly. Dealing with Melbourne would be ideal seeing as they have #2.

Also Angus is quickly becoming the most overrated player on freo bigfooty ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colin Young is not exactly in the business of supporting Freo to its maiden premiership.

Well . . actually . . . . he kind of does. His management company LITERALLY sponsors The Fremantle Football Club, his business doesn’t sponsor any other AFL clubs but us.

Kind of weird for a business that pays a lot of money to sponsor a Football team and hoping that they don’t win.

I’m still trying to work out how this is even possible and how AFL could tick this off. Probably explains the 18 Freo players on his books.

Colin Young appears to use whatever tools he can to get the best deal for his players. For years he has an MO of pretending players what to move clubs to negotiate bigger contracts.
This all seems fishy to me.
First Young bags out Freo with the Shane Kersten thing.
Now I'm reading news articles published today, which include Colin Young video footage from a month ago, when Brad Hill denied the rumours that Colin Young was trying to start.
And let's not forget that a similar thing happened last year too.
There's just so many different stories to this that don't add up. Apparently Brad and Stephen want to play together. Yet SHill is rumoured to have Gold Coast interested. BHill supposedly requested a transfer to Hawks last year and they are now reportedly circling again this year ... yet even Young says they are not in the picture.
Nevermind BHill has said in the last two months that he hasn't even had the conversation with his missus about going back to Melbourne.
The rumours might be true, but I won't be the least bit surprised if this isn't mostly Colin Young knowing that BHill is worth a lot more to Freo than what we are currently paying him and Young has no interest waiting until the end of 2021 for an increase in his commission.
But the danger still remains that other Vic based clubs may offer substantially more than what Freo can/wishes to offer and so BHill ends up going.
I'm convinced that is what happened with Neale. I reckon he and his manager simply knew he wasn't getting paid what he should and in the end, the best deal was the Lions.

Generally when there's this much noise you resign yourself to losing the player. Obviously Young has his greasy fingers all over this, but I'd be surprised if this ends in Hill signing a bumper new contract (with us anyway).

If it does eventuate it's a massive loss. Doubly so if Langdon goes. Bye bye outside run.

Need to be very smart with what we get.

The rumours might be true, but I won't be the least bit surprised if this isn't mostly Colin Young knowing that BHill is worth a lot more to Freo than what we are currently paying him and Young has no interest waiting until the end of 2021 for an increase in his commission.
But the danger still remains that other Vic based clubs may offer substantially more than what Freo can/wishes to offer and so BHill ends up going.
I'm convinced that is what happened with Neale. I reckon he and his manager simply knew he wasn't getting paid what he should and in the end, the best deal was the Lions.

Absolutely. Hill probably wasn't best 10 at the Hawks, and here he has turned into top 5. Probably got a pay rise to come here, but I'm guessing under market compared to a top 5 player. Can't blame Lachie for leaving if the reports of what he was being paid (on the backend) is close. Then you get these new players in on good contracts..

She wants to start a family which means she wants to move closer to her parents. This is the modus operandi of the Millennial who must rely on their parents to raise their children.

What's wrong with that? OK, there is something wrong with entirely "relying on". But wanting to be close to grandparents seems a fair call. Human history in virtually every cultural context has had extended family involved in the lives of children and is considered a positive thing. It's only the 'upwardly mobile' recent generations (as well other factors too of course) that have changed that in more recent decades.

Anyway, not sure what will come of BHill situation. I certainly don't put weight on some of the sports "journalists" reports that just whore themselves out to click bait stats. I'm not going to spit the dummy of possibility of losing BHill until we've heard it from the horses mouth - and that wont be until EOS at the very earliest.

But if he does, I will be shitty that's for sure - then I expect Freo to screw whoever wants a deal to the absolute nth degree.

Last edited:

I think this is also modus operandi for baby boomer parents who want their grandchildren nearby, they continue to expect to have it all ;).

But back on topic, where there is smoke there is fire and its fairly common for guys to fall into line with their significant others wishes when it comes to child-rearing (probably a good thing).

For a guy who came over because he wanted to play alongside his brother, Bard hasn’t been able to much. If we sign Stephen up for a couple more years, then I think Brad would stay to see his contract out, because they will both know those playing opportunities are becoming less frequent.

I’d be wanting something at least as tasty as the Gibbs or Treloar trade TBH.

And the second scenario would then be going to Stephen Coniglio and giving him the mother of all deals...like one dollar south of whatever Fyfe gets...

If we could get two firsts for Brad Hill and roll Coniglio it would set us up. And we should have cap space for that

For a guy who came over because he wanted to play alongside his brother, Bard hasn’t been able to much. If we sign Stephen up for a couple more years, then I think Brad would stay to see his contract out, because they will both know those playing opportunities are becoming less frequent.
Just the 26 games so far.
2017 Stephen missing four games, Brad played those four.
2018 Brad missing twelve games, eight of which Stephen played in.
2019 Stephen missing sixteen so far, Brad played all of those.

Freos history says yes we lose them both. possibly other.s and the club will tell the supporters it all good as we get low pick number.s

sorry time to start winning, not rebuilding again and again .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back