VFL 2019 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

it takes a wise man to know when to fold-out of a pun challenge

not my finest, but when it comes to puns I like divan in head first
Speaking of couches....why was the couch scared of the chair. Because the chair was armed. :drunk:
On a serious note, how can a team be competitive enough to go in level at half time and then get completely obliterated in the second half. IMO it indicates a problem above the shoulders. Basically a lack of desire to compete. Which is odd because most coaches mould the team as a reflection of themselves and Hamill was a competitive beast.
For a long time it has felt like something is broken at Sandringham and until it is fixed it will continue to impact negatively on the Saints.

Speaking of couches....why was the couch scared of the chair. Because the chair was armed. :drunk:
On a serious note, how can a team be competitive enough to go in level at half time and then get completely obliterated in the second half. IMO it indicates a problem above the shoulders. Basically a lack of desire to compete. Which is odd because most coaches mould the team as a reflection of themselves and Hamill was a competitive beast.
For a long time it has felt like something is broken at Sandringham and until it is fixed it will continue to impact negatively on the Saints.

The long injury list at the saints has had a devastating effect on the Zebs. With over a dozen saints out most weeks, it is remarkable the seniors have done as well as they have and it is little wonder Sandy has been uncompetetive.

Senior listed players are vital to your VFL team's fortunes. It's hard to judge Hamill's ability to coach, given the cirumstances, although Satan's beady, red rimmed stare will be firmly fixed on the problem come the off season. I think Sammy might get the lemonade and sarse.

BPF is right. We need to solve this. A competitive VFL team is crucial in providing depth for the seniors through rapid development of younger players. Getting crushed week in, week out can't be good for that.

They have really ballsed it up at hq.

By removing the development league it's just too difficult to attract and retain too players for aligned clubs.

Why would any kid want to join Sandy known he might end up at a suburban club depending on availability of Saints players?

The vfl cannot afford a dev league to what's the answer?

There's obviously a gap / jump from U18 to vfl.

Is it time for an under 21 comp with players dropping back and forth?

It would structure as follows:

Sandy list comprises balance of Saints list, plus a core of Sandy senior players.

U21 list has a predetermined number of players that can be called up to play at Sandy if needed. This would give them exposure at a higher level.

Just a thought bubble.

The long injury list at the saints has had a devastating effect on the Zebs. With over a dozen saints out most weeks, it is remarkable the seniors have done as well as they have and it is little wonder Sandy has been uncompetetive.

Senior listed players are vital to your VFL team's fortunes. It's hard to judge Hamill's ability to coach, given the cirumstances, although Satan's beady, red rimmed stare will be firmly fixed on the problem come the off season. I think Sammy might get the lemonade and sarse.

BPF is right. We need to solve this. A competitive VFL team is crucial in providing depth for the seniors through rapid development of younger players. Getting crushed week in, week out can't be good for that.
Agree DH, we need to question the quality of the Sandringham listed players.
I don’t believe the quality we have there is comparable to the other AFL alignment teams as all the teams suffer injuries over the year.
And some sail on with minimal impact.
Given we own Sandringham now, I believe we need to look at the fundamental and core purpose for its existence.
I’d argue it’s no longer to win VFL games and premierships, which was it’s raison d’être, but now has morphed into development of AFL listed St Kilda players.
So the key issue is as you’ve stated: senior VFL listed players to provide structure and development depth, not the character of player that we currently have on the list.

They have really ballsed it up at hq.

By removing the development league it's just too difficult to attract and retain too players for aligned clubs.

Why would any kid want to join Sandy known he might end up at a suburban club depending on availability of Saints players?

The vfl cannot afford a dev league to what's the answer?

There's obviously a gap / jump from U18 to vfl.

Is it time for an under 21 comp with players dropping back and forth?

It would structure as follows:

Sandy list comprises balance of Saints list, plus a core of Sandy senior players.

U21 list has a predetermined number of players that can be called up to play at Sandy if needed. This would give them exposure at a higher level.

Just a thought bubble.
Obviously you don’t follow another competition because the development league is a killer for that and for those who say who cares if more and more local senior clubs fold then the junior clubs will eventually fold. That will mean there won’t be a high grade under 18’s and an even bigger gap to afl. The development league was crap. It was a terrible competition. The under 21 idea would even be worse for local clubs because players who are your good up and coming stars go play in the under 21’s and if the senior side have bigger injuries they are wasting away in a competition that has no heart. Unfortunately sandy and the like aren’t real clubs. And the only reason we are no good in injury. We are at Kilda seconds but called sandy unfortunately no seconds players hardly play.

Agree DH, we need to question the quality of the Sandringham listed players.
I don’t believe the quality we have there is comparable to the other AFL alignment teams as all the teams suffer injuries over the year.
And some sail on with minimal impact.
Given we own Sandringham now, I believe we need to look at the fundamental and core purpose for its existence.
I’d argue it’s no longer to win VFL games and premierships, which was it’s raison d’être, but now has morphed into development of AFL listed St Kilda players.
So the key issue is as you’ve stated: senior VFL listed players to provide structure and development depth, not the character of player that we currently have on the list.

The problem is sandy pay for their players. They have bugger all money and we have bugger all to help them. Look how bad the pies reserves are this year because of one reason injury.

Are there plans for us to have our own reserves side under the name of StKilda still?
Or are we sticking with this set up that involves destroying an old proud club whilst not providing us
With a professional development program for our younger and depth players!

It's clearly an issue of concern as far as us getting up to speed with the rest of the comp!

Are there plans for us to have our own reserves side under the name of StKilda still?
Or are we sticking with this set up that involves destroying an old proud club whilst not providing us
With a professional development program for our younger and depth players!

It's clearly an issue of concern as far as us getting up to speed with the rest of the comp!

This does nothing to effect our development at all. We run the club. Its exactly the same as Casey and Box Hill. Whilst Sandy would love to be on their own we are actually helping them to survive. And at the moment there are no licences anyway. Love you to explain how it effects our development.

Does Sandy use the same gameplan as St Kilda? If they do, then I don’t think winning or losing matters as at least theyre getting practice with our system.

This does nothing to effect our development at all. We run the club. Its exactly the same as Casey and Box Hill. Whilst Sandy would love to be on their own we are actually helping them to survive. And at the moment there are no licences anyway. Love you to explain how it effects our development.
What do you mean there are no licenses?
So even if we wanted to have a stand alone reserves team we are not allowed to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t believe so but also don’t see why we would want to spend the extra money and it was cost a bit apart from the licence. Also got to pay a lot of extra players.
So is this why? The money factor, considering our financial predicament?

Not sure. Probably more that there is point apart sandy likely folding and us spending money for no gain.
Well i don't want to see Sandy fold, but is that StKilda's responsibility?
And surely there would have to be some gain in having our own 2 team system with everyone on the same page!

We should have stepped in with Frankston IMO. Start from scratch and do it properly.

I think Sandy are in denial about their viability. Sadly. They should just merge with us and been done with it.

Train at TBO and play at Moorabbin.
Then sandy make no money at all. No money to get in. No drink and food money. That certainly would be the end of them.

Because they work and their skills aren’t up to afl standard. Same as why local clubs split up training.
Are they really that much worse that it would impact training?

It’s a shame we can’t contribute some salary in some way to a dozen or so guys so they were full time players and boost sandy cohesion by all training together.

Maybe if we did theyd attract better players and get over the skills issue

Are they really that much worse that it would impact training?

It’s a shame we can’t contribute some salary in some way to a dozen or so guys so they were full time players and boost sandy cohesion by all training together.

Maybe if we did theyd attract better players and get over the skills issue
Not 100% sure but I think there is a salary cap as well. Even the Poe’s and tigers don’t do that.

Then sandy make no money at all. No money to get in. No drink and food money. That certainly would be the end of them.
I know but let's be honest, they are going down the same path as coal powered electricity stations.

It's a question of when, not if.

If they played at Moorabbin, attendances would higher and you can have a revenue split that helps them.

Sandy Saints with a hybrid jumper and they keep their history, training and social club.

You could even offer a membership levy on our memberships and people become dual members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back