Strategy Surely Clarko will allow long sleeves! Post here if you’ve actually played in this kind of weather.

Furn2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
When I played you stood in your position waiting for the ball to come to you alot of the time.

Nowdays at AFL level you're not standing around much if at all.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Played a game at Sorell (just out of Hobart one Sunday) 100km winds, horizontal rain and about 5 degrees (and short sleeves). We were playing Lauderdale who had not lost a game for two years. All the game was played on one wing. I was at about the one millionth ball up when something blew against my foot and wrapped around my ankle. I looked down an lifted up a twenty. I held it up and everyone laughed. It had blown out of someones hand at the the cafeteria/bar which was on the other side of the ground. At about the same time another bloke picked up $5 as it blew past him.

We knocked them off 2.1.13 to 1.1.7. was our lucky day.

:)

Last edited:
Played a shocker their one day, off half back trying to peel off in front of David Mensch... yeah wasn’t great

Loved the earlier reference to Avenel, did you play in the KDFL at some stage Tige?

Also - I had a few friends who played footy for Assumption College and I'd reckon they'd have had some absolute shockers. Kilmore and Wallan aren't just cold they're bloody windy.

Wet wool is warmer than wet skin with wind.
Mandatory long sleeves.

Modern AFL jumpers aren't wool though, they're synthetic. Oh well!

Just get all the players following the Wim Hof method eh sven_inc

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Loved the earlier reference to Avenel, did you play in the KDFL at some stage Tige?

Also - I had a few friends who played footy for Assumption College and I'd reckon they'd have had some absolute shockers. Kilmore and Wallan aren't just cold they're bloody windy.

Played 1 season in the KDFL.. Loved it tbh, was at a very successful club at the time, we lost the GF but enjoyed the footy and culture (much more family orientated and community-based than Metro footy).

Played school footy at Assumption (against them) and have business interests in the town so spend a bit of time there, agree it's bloody cold... I think Kyneton may just about have it covered although hard to split.

Glacier

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
close
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Big spud Firrito plays there now, or did at least.
Great memories!!! Get to watch me boy do it now. The grounds have much better drainage these days, I’m sure I nearly drowned in mud a few times as a junior
Yep played with a few of the spud farmers
Firrito
Volta
Graneri
Fialla
Pantorno

Great times

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
God i remember some shocking days in the MPNFL with Keysie. Going to Frankston...getting belted by 300 points in torrential sideways cold rain fml

Played 1 season in the KDFL.. Loved it tbh, was at a very successful club at the time, we lost the GF but enjoyed the footy and culture (much more family orientated and community-based than Metro footy).

Played school footy at Assumption (against them) and have business interests in the town so spend a bit of time there, agree it's bloody cold... I think Kyneton may just about have it covered although hard to split.

If you're playing footy for the culture and the people, KDFL is definitely a better option. GVL (GVFL) is shocking and full of absolute wayne kerrs.

It's the cold and the wind in Kilmore that gets you. Of all the places I'm around for work, I'd have to have Ballarat pegged as one of the worst for a winter sport.

If you're playing footy for the culture and the people, KDFL is definitely a better option. GVL (GVFL) is shocking and full of absolute wayne kerrs.

It's the cold and the wind in Kilmore that gets you. Of all the places I'm around for work, I'd have to have Ballarat pegged as one of the worst for a winter sport.
It’s why a lot of kids leave GFVL clubs to play KDFL and never go back.

yes I've played outdoor sports in Canberra many times mid-winter, I'm not very smart.

I played many seasons of soccer from U7s upwards in Canberra. Most games in winter early mornings. We wore shorts and short sleeved shirts. We were 7 - we battled through it.

Something tells me our professional, grown adults will manage through this game without getting hypothermia.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I played many seasons of soccer from U7s upwards in Canberra. Most games in winter early mornings. We wore shorts and short sleeved shirts. We were 7 - we battled through it.

Something tells me our professional, grown adults will manage through this game without getting hypothermia.

I coached an Under 6's soccer side through to u12's. Wore shorts as coach to every match day. Parents would say you must be freezing. I was but if their 6 year old was wearing shorts at the game so was I. Damn you Clarko.

Last edited:

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Played 2 years in the GV, probably most enjoyable footy simply due to the standard, I was probably running around when it was having a purple patch of players in the league (05-06). Very clean footy, highly skilled and grounds were elite, Stark contrast to WRFL which was extremely physical and contested footy.

Sammy Laporta probably the best full forward I have ever seen on a footy field and he was from KDFL

Played 2 years in the GV, probably most enjoyable footy simply due to the standard, I was probably running around when it was having a purple patch of players in the league (05-06). Very clean footy, highly skilled and grounds were elite, Stark contrast to WRFL which was extremely physical and contested footy.

Sammy Laporta probably the best full forward I have ever seen on a footy field and he was from KDFL

So you would have been around for the human highlights reel in Saad Saad! Bloke should have been playing AFL but didn't seem to want it enough.

Back