Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I find this very hard to believe

With other - with all due respect - less important players receiving 4/5 year deals, it is absurd he doesn’t get offered longer.

Only possible exception would be (mis) management of salary cap

IMO it’s either a BS story or truly a time when the club we have lost sight of the true currency of who is on our list

It's a re-hash of the same story from earlier in the year isn't it? Surely things have now progressed beyond that stage.

If you play a bloke with the build of a tall flanker and expect him to carry the ruck duties alone there is only one possible outcome. We were victims to MM's prejudice against rucks and the common - though short lived - belief that a smaller and highly mobile ruckman was the way to go - hence why Josh went number one in his draft year.
Lovely skills for his size, but I don't think an inability to jump, add strength or a lack of aggression were products of him playing too much ruck too early. I just think they were part of his make up. They were what stopped him going from decent player to star.

I find this very hard to believe

With other - with all due respect - less important players receiving 4/5 year deals, it is absurd he doesn’t get offered longer.

Only possible exception would be (mis) management of salary cap

IMO it’s either a BS story or truly a time when the club we have lost sight of the true currency of who is on our list

I call BS myself. Read another article where they were praising Ned Guy for what he has done so far.

I don’t think he would let this happen.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lovely skills for his size, but I don't think an inability to jump, add strength or a lack of aggression were products of him playing too much ruck too early. I just think they were part of his make up. They were what stopped him going from decent player to star.
Don't understand how you draw the conclusions from that.

At the time of his draft smaller more mobile ruckmen were the flavour of the month, hence why he went at number 1.

We were desperately in need of a ruck and took him.

Those are ALL the conclusions I made.

The conclusions you drew from those facts are YOUR OWN and NOT mine.

I tell you what if we lose Grundy because our list managers/footy department are trying to play hardball or arent prepared to cough up what hes worth then there is going to be a lynch mob the size of which has never been seen waiting outside westpac centre the next morning. Theyre quite happy to sign up broken over the hill hasbeens for multiple-year deals, the best ruckman in the league is not the person to decide youre not doing that anymore with

Grundy only leaves if he wants to go back to Adelaide for family reasons........not for $ or length of contract.

It’s disingenuous to think our Club would lowball him IMO.

He is my favorite Pies player and I said I wouldn’t have one after Beams left.
That one hurt.......another story.

I still believe he would be an awesome Collingwood Captain.

For a middle aged bloke who doesn’t do Facebook/Instagram he has educated me and my family what that technology should be used for. It’s interesting he never gets trolled.

He personifies everything I love about Collingwood for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grundy only leaves if he wants to go back to Adelaide for family reasons........not for $ or length of contract.

It’s disingenuous to think our Club would lowball him IMO.

He is my favorite Pies player and I said I wouldn’t have one after Beams left.
That one hurt.......another story.

I still believe he would be an awesome Collingwood Captain.

For a middle aged bloke who doesn’t do Facebook/Instagram he has educated me and my family what that technology should be used for. It’s interesting he never gets trolled.

He personifies everything I love about Collingwood for me.

I agree he be a Good Captain but I don't think he wants too.

Club would lose lot of Fans and Members IF they stuff this up

I agree he be a Good Captain but I don't think he wants too.

Club would lose lot of Fans and Members IF they stuff this up

I don’t think it will be our Clubs fault if he leaves Dave.

It will be his choice.

No player is bigger than the club.
If his contract constricts future recruiting strategy then it will be a bad contract.
Still want him to stay.
And remember, this is a contract negation. As all negotiations are, there is a starting point.
Which normally bears no relation to the end result.

Well then the List Manager Needs to be Sacked IF we can not Afford Grundy

Sounds to me like we wouldn't know all those details unless someone wanted us to, either the club knows he's gone and is prepping the excuse or Grundogs management is using it for leverage

Don't understand how you draw the conclusions from that.

At the time of his draft smaller more mobile ruckmen were the flavour of the month, hence why he went at number 1.

We were desperately in need of a ruck and took him.

Those are ALL the conclusions I made.

The conclusions you drew from those facts are YOUR OWN and NOT mine.

Apologies. I misinterpreted, I thought you were running with the oft said argument: ruined by MM playing him first ruck too young

Insane not to give him 5 years...

How many peoples contracts are running into 4/5 years from now? Surely zero percent of the salary cap is used in those years
It'll really be about money. Clubs would offer less per year for a longer contract because it increases the risk for the club. The negotiation will probably be Grundy wants x per year for 5 years. Collingwood will have come back with we will give you x per year for 3 years, but a lesser amount -y per year for a 5 year contract. Press are reporting that they agreed on salary x but not on length, but really they'll still be negotiating salary. For a 3 year contract, he'll want more than the x that Collingwood are offering and for a 5 year contract he'll want more than the y that the club are offering.

Collingwood have already learnt hard lessons with Reid’s 5 year contract or Clokes 5 years. Held over the barrel. Both stars at the time, played hardball, before their absolute decline limiting our ability to recruit a Hawthorn style group of players, who wanted to win a flag before their own material gains. He might be an awesome player but i’ll be pissed if we did anything longer than 3 years. Dale Thomas another great example of a stupid 5 year deal, albeit for Carlton not us. Lance Franklin, he’ll be a Daniel Wells on a million dollars for the last 3 years of his contract. The club is bigger than any single player and Geelong is a great example of losing arguably the best player of all time but still winning a flag. I might be unpopular but I’d much prefer 2 first round picks and a roughhead style recruit for nothing, than to risk a huge contract on future output that is never guaranteed. You’re only as good as your last season, so Collingwood should be well aware of the negative consequences that can result from long term contracts.

Collingwood have already learnt hard lessons with Reid’s 5 year contract or Clokes 5 years. Held over the barrel. Both stars at the time, played hardball, before their absolute decline limiting our ability to recruit a Hawthorn style group of players, who wanted to win a flag before their own material gains. He might be an awesome player but i’ll be pi**ed if we did anything longer than 3 years. Dale Thomas another great example of a stupid 5 year deal, albeit for Carlton not us. Lance Franklin, he’ll be a Daniel Wells on a million dollars for the last 3 years of his contract. The club is bigger than any single player and Geelong is a great example of losing arguably the best player of all time but still winning a flag. I might be unpopular but I’d much prefer 2 first round picks and a roughhead style recruit for nothing, than to risk a huge contract on future output that is never guaranteed. You’re only as good as your last season, so Collingwood should be well aware of the negative consequences that can result from long term contracts.

How many years is Beams on though?

Oh yeah, 4 years.
4 years for Beams and 3 for Grundy.

Grundy is by your best player he is another midfielder! 3 years does not seem fair when Taylor Adams and all these guys are getting 5 year deals.

Apologies. I misinterpreted, I thought you were running with the oft said argument: ruined by MM playing him first ruck too young

I think having him do ruck with no physical development was more the issue, he has stated he hated the gym and did bare minimum or dodged it all together. This ultimately was why his ruck game was poor and his leap timing, josh had a good leap but his timing was oft poor, and would often be on the way down when meeting the ball rather then at his highest jumping point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back