Travel Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not really that much to do there. It's really all about the food. After about a week, you'll probably just find yourself doing the same things and going to the same places every day.

One of my ex girlfriends was of Malaysian background and had extended family over in Penang. Went there 3 times and whilst it was fine because we had the advantage of spending time with people and take us places, (mostly places to eat), there isn't really much else to do.

Also, my ex and I noticed each time we went back that Penang was getting noticeably dirtier.

A week would be long enough

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Not really that much to do there. It's really all about the food. After about a week, you'll probably just find yourself doing the same things and going to the same places every day.

One of my ex girlfriends was of Malaysian background and had extended family over in Penang. Went there 3 times and whilst it was fine because we had the advantage of spending time with people and take us places, (mostly places to eat), there isn't really much else to do.

Also, my ex and I noticed each time we went back that Penang was getting noticeably dirtier.

A week would be long enough
where would you go instead after a week ?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Like I said, I had a great time in Kota Kinabalu. We stayed at a beach resort with a Golf Course. Also travelled into town a few times and one night found a huge open air Seafood place... basically several different restaurants in a horse shoe shape like a food court full of tanks of live seafood. What you would do is choose whatever it is that you wanted and then discuss with the person how they work cook it (there were no menu's). We ended up with Lobster, a few Mud Crab, Coral Trout, Oysters and a few other things + beer. Between 3 of us it worked out to be about $30 - 35$ per head!

They also have a pretty good night market there as well.

Other areas of Borneo would also be worth exploring

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Sounds like more flying
Im not into golf, and getting trapped in a resort were you need to catch taxis to tourist seafood places.
I think I would prefer going to the same restaurant a few times if I loved the food and pay a few bucks
Go and see a movie once or twice a week hang out do nothing just watch the world go by

I would like to see Borneo but maybe another time

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounds like more flying
Im not into golf, and getting trapped in a resort were you need to catch taxis to tourist seafood places.
I think I would prefer going to the same restaurant a few times if I loved the food and pay a few bucks
Go and see a movie once or twice a week hang out do nothing just watch the world go by

I would like to see Borneo but maybe another time

Fair enough.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Like I said, I had a great time in Kota Kinabalu. We stayed at a beach resort with a Golf Course. Also travelled into town a few times and one night found a huge open air Seafood place... basically several different restaurants in a horse shoe shape like a food court full of tanks of live seafood. What you would do is choose whatever it is that you wanted and then discuss with the person how they work cook it (there were no menu's). We ended up with Lobster, a few Mud Crab, Coral Trout, Oysters and a few other things + beer. Between 3 of us it worked out to be about $30 - 35$ per head!

They also have a pretty good night market there as well.

Other areas of Borneo would also be worth exploring
The Sandakan war memorial is a very interesting visit but takes a good day of travel from KK

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I think Singapore and Vietnam might be my first destinations once this pandemic is all over.
Will be very interesting as to how the world goes back to normal and the way it opens up with Australia. Europe and America seem off the cards for a while yet, so its probably parts of Asia Pacific destinations first and some of South East Asia.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Singapore and Vietnam might be my first destinations once this pandemic is all over.
Is it possible that this whole thing won't ever really be over?

I'm in Malaysia right now as we speak, KL is in another lockdown, not as bad as the first.

I'd love to hop on a plane and go back to Saigon, I had a lot more fun there than here, but it is still not possible.

At a certain point we have to ask ourselves, if a city can lockdown over 22 cases, is it basically over now?

Not 22 deaths, 22 cases. An entire state including a decent-sized city. For 22 positive tests, lol. People who aren't even sick.

I think travel as we knew it could be done.

Which sucks for people like me because we used to travel all the time.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets

I'm in Malaysia right now as we speak, KL is in another lockdown, not as bad as the first.

I'd love to hop on a plane and go back to Saigon, I had a lot more fun there than here, but it is still not possible.

At a certain point we have to ask ourselves, if a city can lockdown over 22 cases, is it basically over now?

Not 22 deaths, 22 cases. An entire state including a decent-sized city. For 22 positive tests, lol. People who aren't even sick.

I think travel as we knew it could be done.

Which sucks for people like me because we used to travel all the time.
Forever is a long time. We'll be right, will take some time but either a treatment/vaccine come or the illness becomes just part of life where we try to protect the over 70s. The world won't/can't be closed forever.

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The world won't/can't be closed forever.
Nobody thought the whole world could be closed for a year.

Well guess what, it is almost a year already with no end in sight.

In fact things are getting worse. Millions of people banned from exercising outside because of 22 cases.

The madness is only ramping up, not down.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Nobody thought the whole world could be closed for a year.

Well guess what, it is almost a year already with no end in sight.

In fact things are getting worse. Millions of people banned from exercising outside because of 22 cases.

The madness is only ramping up, not down.
Wont be forever though

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

No, It will all be over eventually.

I think some countries and areas of the world will be good to go to travel to in 2022, where you won't have to quarantine on arrival.

Might be waiting until 2023 for Europe and American though :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vietnam and Japan im thinking

Singapore is an awesome place though

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Singapore is an awesome place though

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Finally made it recently for 6 nights, I loved it and it might be my favourite place I've ever been to but I will have to go a second time before I make that call which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.

Finally made it recently for 6 nights, I loved it and it might be my favourite place I've ever been to but I will have to go a second time before I make that call which hopefully will be sooner rather than later.
What were your highlights?

For me it was Gardens by the bay at night, Singapore zoo, Sentosa Island and the whole Marina bay

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What were your highlights?

For me it was Gardens by the bay at night, Singapore zoo, Sentosa Island and the whole Marina bay

The whole of Marina Bay I really liked. I stayed just north of Chinatown MRT and honestly I think my favourite thing was trying all the food from the hawkers. No dinner cost me over $8 and it was all delicious. By the end I was waking up late morning and picking an area to explore then back for dinner at 6pm and back out exploring at night where my night would end getting duck at 3am.

Next time i'll go back for 2 weeks and do that routine and maybe visit KL for 2-3 days. I won't call it my favourite place yet but if I enjoy it again as much a second time then I'll call it.

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
for me singapore could be my second home ultra clean and organised great food and drinking scene and great shopping however it is still expensive even with australia going up in costs

the thing is though a lot of singaporeans are trying to get out cos of costs

malaysia is also really good, kl for bukit bintang and the shopping there but for me penang kota kinabalu and langkawi are my favourites.

special mention to indonesia - jakarta is a crazy city with a ridiculous traffic problem but again even cheaper than malaysia with everything and their food and drink scene is quite underated.

another special mention for indonesia would be lombok and yogjakarta. trust me its worth it

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
for me singapore could be my second home ultra clean and organised great food and drinking scene and great shopping however it is still expensive even with australia going up in costs

the thing is though a lot of singaporeans are trying to get out cos of costs

malaysia is also really good, kl for bukit bintang and the shopping there but for me penang kota kinabalu and langkawi are my favourites.

special mention to indonesia - jakarta is a crazy city with a ridiculous traffic problem but again even cheaper than malaysia with everything and their food and drink scene is quite underated.

another special mention for indonesia would be lombok and yogjakarta. trust me its worth it
Yep, Indonesia is fantastic.
Was in Lombok again for 8 days in July and we have been many times and loved it. I had business in Jakarta following it and had just 2 nights this time but likewise I love it and after having been there many times I still find it underrated by so many. Even Indonesians I know still ask why would I want to go to Jakarta 🤣

Hap Hapablap

I'm off to Nepal to become a mountain goat.
Jun 27, 2006
Where the cows go bong.
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Lakers,Internazionale, Man U
Yep, Indonesia is fantastic.
Was in Lombok again for 8 days in July and we have been many times and loved it. I had business in Jakarta following it and had just 2 nights this time but likewise I love it and after having been there many times I still find it underrated by so many. Even Indonesians I know still ask why would I want to go to Jakarta 🤣

i married an indonesian and she thinks now im more indonesian than her

but to be honest i love the hussle and bussle (and the cheap taxis, booze, food, etc :p)

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i married an indonesian and she thinks now im more indonesian than her

but to be honest i love the hussle and bussle (and the cheap taxis, booze, food, etc :p)

re food, even putting aside price and value for money, give me malaysian/indonesian/Singaporean/vietfood any day.

just straight up better.

Back