Coach Cam Sutcliffe - Development Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on this is an overreaction. Nothing personal towards Cam but he shouldn't be in the team. Good on him for making the most of his opportunity on the weekend but hardly deserves praise.

I have nothing against Cam but it's interesting that he was backed in for 3 poor games before finally breaking out and having a decent game. Wish that was applied to some other players.

My Freo supporting mate said Sutcliffe can run all day and will put in a shift, but will also turn the ball over on every 2nd kick.

I think he plays this week because he played well enough to keep his spot.

Credit where it’s due, he was in everything on the weekend, but this.

Reminds me of that one really good quarter Darren Pfeiffer had that one time.

The one time Choco put Danny Meyer into the middle for a quarter and he had 7 touches, 3 clearances, a few tackles and a goal.

And promptly dropped him.

Here’s a little bit of useless information.

Sutcliffe is being paid $50k plus $4k per game, with a $20k bonus if he gets delisted and no-one picks him up. He’s also been paid $4k as the Magpies leadership player.

If he plays every game til the end of the season, that’s $102,000.

If you add the $4k next year and the year after, you’ll find we’ve paid him $33k for three years...we’ve just done it in advance. The best SANFL players get paid that. So what we can do now is go get another ex-AFL player, move Sutcliffe from the leadership player designation, and keep doing this until we’ve stacked our 5 top up players with AFL quality SA talent.

It’s not a primary or even secondary reason to play him...it’s just an added bonus.

The reaction to his game on the weekend has been weird. People talk about him like he's some type of Simon Phillips esque potato who floats in and out of the system within a few years rather than a 100+ game AFL player who was a regular feature in a perennial finals team and played in a grand final. He can clearly play a bit, it's just whether he should be in our team at this point that has been in question.

He’s also been paid $4k as the Magpies leadership player.
Says who? Why would we offer a leadership player the amount we can offer any other player from a metro or country league? Or are we hiding it by giving him a job in our NGA and community programs?

Also, a player payment cap will be introduced for the AFC and PAFC in line with the other SANFL clubs, consisting of:
  • Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
  • An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
  • Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
  • In addition, the Leadership Player can only be paid a maximum upfront/ base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match. If the player was drafted from a SANFL Club prior to his AFL listing, there will also be a transfer fee payable to the SANFL Club in the sum of $25,000, as is the case if the player were to play for any other SANFL Club.

Re NGA and community programs

He was employed by the club to work with its Next Generation Academies and community programs with Alipate Carlile, John Hinge and Paul Stewart, and was named skipper of the Magpies. Sutcliffe said he “had an inkling” the Power might draft him last week but was only told for certain on Monday hours before the draft.

The reaction to his game on the weekend has been weird. People talk about him like he's some type of Simon Phillips esque potato who floats in and out of the system within a few years rather than a 100+ game AFL player who was a regular feature in a perennial finals team and played in a grand final. He can clearly play a bit, it's just whether he should be in our team at this point that has been in question.
He played a lot like Simon Phillips for most of his first two games. Plenty of fumbles and bumbles, just not the fastest fumbler and bumbler you have sen like Phillips.

Says who? Why would we offer a leadership player the amount we can offer any other player from a metro or country league? Or are we hiding it by giving him a job in our NGA and community programs?

Also, a player payment cap will be introduced for the AFC and PAFC in line with the other SANFL clubs, consisting of:
  • Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
  • An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
  • Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
  • In addition, the Leadership Player can only be paid a maximum upfront/ base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match. If the player was drafted from a SANFL Club prior to his AFL listing, there will also be a transfer fee payable to the SANFL Club in the sum of $25,000, as is the case if the player were to play for any other SANFL Club.

Re NGA and community programs

He was employed by the club to work with its Next Generation Academies and community programs with Alipate Carlile, John Hinge and Paul Stewart, and was named skipper of the Magpies. Sutcliffe said he “had an inkling” the Power might draft him last week but was only told for certain on Monday hours before the draft.

I read that as $20k total base payments, including the leadership player...and that it's up to the club if they want to spend it all on one player or distribute the $20k to all players. Guess I'm thinking the SANFL wouldn't be wanting to do us any favours.

If the leadership player is outside the cap, it makes it even more advantageous for an ex-AFL player to pick Port, because it means Sutcliffe is getting paid way more than even the best SANFL player after being picked up as a rookie.

I think the club is using the mid year rookie draft as a way of attracting better players to the Magpies. Play as a leadership player for a year, do work with the NGA, and we'll pick you up as a rookie for half a year to top up your pay for the three years to the level you'd be getting if you played in the SANFL for that time. As long as we pick players with the right kind of work ethic to help our kids develop, it will work out fine.

Adelaide can't do this because they are only allowed players the SANFL clubs release or SAAFL players that they have no vested interest in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here’s a little bit of useless information.

Sutcliffe is being paid $50k plus $4k per game, with a $20k bonus if he gets delisted and no-one picks him up. He’s also been paid $4k as the Magpies leadership player.

If he plays every game til the end of the season, that’s $102,000.

If you add the $4k next year and the year after, you’ll find we’ve paid him $33k for three years...we’ve just done it in advance. The best SANFL players get paid that. So what we can do now is go get another ex-AFL player, move Sutcliffe from the leadership player designation, and keep doing this until we’ve stacked our 5 top up players with AFL quality SA talent.

It’s not a primary or even secondary reason to play him...it’s just an added bonus.
I mean that actually sounds horrible to me.

How is the rookie wage so freaking low while campaigners like Franklin are running around for a million a year. Ugh

How is the rookie wage so freaking low while campaigners like Franklin are running around for a million a year. Ugh

The base wage in the AFL is $105k + $5k per game. That's what Trengove and McKenzie would be on. Franklin would be getting paid $900k plus $110k in match payments...and I believe if a player gets injured (like Watts) they have to be paid as if they were playing but it counts outside the cap. Sydney will be looking to shed Franklin's contract.

I had this whole post typed out where I went through exactly who was getting what - guys like Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Farrell, Garner, Hayes, Grundy, Woodcock and Patmore are on fixed wages - and you soon figure out that the salary cap is a great leveller against stacking a super team.

If you compare Franklin on 1mil and Cam Hewett on 50k, the former with almost 1000 goals to his name is a bargain.

If you compare Franklin on 1mil and Cam Hewett on 50k, the former with almost 1000 goals to his name is a bargain.
Hewett and other rookies are on a $75k base in 2019. Suttcliffe gets part a rookies base because he gets drafted in May, but $50k and higher than straight pro rata because those guys have to leave their jobs and have added expenses if the have to go live interstate.

Oh Buddy gets $1.3m this year, $1.4m next year and $1.5m in 2021 before $1m in 2022. I guess $100k each year is match payments and the rest is base payments, so missing 10+ games with injuries isn't that painful to the wallet.

I don’t think it’s been weird at all. He averaged 10 touches in his first three games and achieved next to nothing. Not even Cam’s mum would’ve expected his game on the weekend.

It's not about value, you could argue both are worth zero if you wanted.

The point is that 50k is not a great base wage given how important rookie players are to the AFL, and how much money the AFL has.

I understand its probably a decent wage from the general public's POV, but pretty much everyone in the general public is super underpaid anyway lol

Good game on the weekend and an ideal sort of candidate for SANFL leadership which I guess led to his ascension, but yes I do agree with the sentiment that it's a missed opportunity to develop Atley or Drew in the seniors. Anyway we shall see how he goes in the back end of the year there are some traits that suggest he could become a fairly stable handy contributor.

Sutcliffe & the other mid-season draft boys earn the $50k + match payments for the half years work, so not quite as bad as it originally sounds. Agree $75k p.a for rookies does sound harsh, but thinking about it the majority are sub-21 years old so you'd be earning more than your peers who are either at uni or tradies or "just chilling" or whatever. Living arrangements would either be at home with the parents if fortunate enough to remain in home city, or in club supplied accom with host family or subsidised sharehouse living with a bunch of other lads. So with a lot of your typical costs subsidised, even if the system spits you out in a year or two you still are pretty likely to come out of it in a good place to go into the next phase of your life.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back