Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Hawthorn have to use a first this year under those rubbery AFL future trading rules or can they trade it (yet again)?

It can be any first round pick though. So they can trade one in. GWS have for example two that they can trade this year.

ie Cogs and Pick 14 for Hawks first rounder from 2019 and 2020.

etc

Will be interesting to see who wins a GF first
I reckon it will be the Hawks
The Dogs win a few games and their supporters start spouting about their list. Just remember the horrible path they've taken since 2016 when they won with a young list and then couldn't go on with it. Still likely to miss finals this year too. Youth and age demographics is what the club uses at WB to sell hope to their supporters. 16 was an anomaly. A lucky chain of events

I am very happy with David Teague myself, so we all win.

Also I am not convinced Clarkson will see out his contract to the end of 2022, reckon he may pull the pin a year or two early (I don't think he will coach another club) and just spend more time with his family.

Just a feeling i have, nothing more than that.
You're easily pleased. Teague has delivered you how many wins? In all seriousness though, you'd be better with him than Hinkley or one of the other used coaches. Blues made horrible appointments on burned out coaches like Mick and Pagan so I understand you feel that way about Clarko too. Not sure why it never worked with Bolts, might have just overcomplicated things

One group benefits from the mistakes of the other. So long as they each maintain their lobby, everyone happy
Both the WA teams are still kicking themselves about overlooking Kelly and Stack. Geelong and Richmond are now both benefiting from WC and Freo mistakes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, for all their bravado Hawthorn are sitting in the bottom 10 and Clarkson just lost to a first-game luminary in Rhyce Shaw.

I didn’t realise that teams were judged on ladder positions and not Premierships won! :eek:

Hawthorn haven’t won a final for 4 years.

Amazing how quick Hawthorn supporters are to downplay their poor form to prattle on about past successes, and attempt to use that as some concrete evidence they’re on track to win another flag.

Especially from 12th position!

Yep, for all their bravado Hawthorn are sitting in the bottom 10 and Clarkson just lost to a first-game luminary in Rhyce Shaw.

Amazing how quick Hawthorn supporters are to downplay their poor form to prattle on about past successes, and attempt to use that as some concrete evidence they’re on track to win another flag.

Coniglio likes this position! :$:thumbsu:

You're easily pleased. Teague has delivered you how many wins? In all seriousness though, you'd be better with him than Hinkley or one of the other used coaches. Blues made horrible appointments on burned out coaches like Mick and Pagan so I understand you feel that way about Clarko too. Not sure why it never worked with Bolts, might have just overcomplicated things

with a glance, its pretty apparent bolts was used to keep the seat warm while carlton insiders rebuilt the list

10-game luminary, kid.

I know it's hard for people around here to count but it is just barely double digits. You guys can do eet.

10-game luminary, kid.

I know it's hard for people around here to count but it is just barely double digits. You guys can do eet.

Classic semantic response.

1st game officially as senior coach, after 9 games as caretaker.

Congrats on showing Bigfooty you can count, and confirming you’re a boring campaigner in the process.

“Paddy Dangerfield didn’t do it.
Dustin Martin didn’t do it.
Scott Pendlebury didn’t do it.
Nor did Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar, Lachie Neale, Stephen Coniglio or Gary Ablett Jnr.
But James Worpel is set to do it this weekend.
Having not missed a match in 2019, Worpel will bring up his 500th possession of the season in just his second year.
None of the aforementioned players achieved this feat.
Put simply, the 20-year-old midfielder has had an outstanding campaign with his overall influence something to behold.
His 499 disposals in 2019 rank him 22nd league-wide in the statistic, while he sits inside the top 25 for another four different categories: clearances (13th), contested possessions (20th), inside 50s (22nd) and tackles (24th).
Arguably the most impressive number there is his standing as a clearance player, with no other player 20 years old or younger in the top 60.
Worpel has a way to go before truly joining the competition’s elite midfielders but he is showing strong signs as one of the Hawks’ key building blocks for the future.”

Not bad at pick nu 45 👍. Top draft picks are overrated and the Hawks are assembling a core group of quality players for the next 5-7 years without them!

“Paddy Dangerfield didn’t do it.
Dustin Martin didn’t do it.
Scott Pendlebury didn’t do it.
Nor did Patrick Cripps, Marcus Bontempelli, Adam Treloar, Lachie Neale, Stephen Coniglio or Gary Ablett Jnr.
But James Worpel is set to do it this weekend.
Having not missed a match in 2019, Worpel will bring up his 500th possession of the season in just his second year.
None of the aforementioned players achieved this feat.
Put simply, the 20-year-old midfielder has had an outstanding campaign with his overall influence something to behold.
His 499 disposals in 2019 rank him 22nd league-wide in the statistic, while he sits inside the top 25 for another four different categories: clearances (13th), contested possessions (20th), inside 50s (22nd) and tackles (24th).
Arguably the most impressive number there is his standing as a clearance player, with no other player 20 years old or younger in the top 60.
Worpel has a way to go before truly joining the competition’s elite midfielders but he is showing strong signs as one of the Hawks’ key building blocks for the future.”

Not bad at pick nu 45 👍. Top draft picks are overrated and the Hawks are assembling a core group of quality players for the next 5-7 years without them!

i had Worpel in my top 20 that year and thanx to people spreading rumours he was a poor kick we benefited by picking him up at pick 45, its not that high draft picks are overrated, its that the rumour mill makes mistakes...

Pretty arbitrary and pointless article.

Sam Walsh is going to reach 500 this weekend, in his first year.

Macrae has done it also, Oliver had over 650 in his second year.

Not taking away from Worpel, he's super talented. But that article is trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back