2019 1st Ashes Test - Edgbaston 1-5 August 2019

Maybe. I'm less sure that we have a good team than I am that we have a great player.
We definitely got lucky that arguably their most influential player was taken out. I think an elite bowler gets to dismiss all eleven batsmen so they can clean up an average team, but a single batsman only gets the one wicket to protect and score - even if it's against average bowlers.

We definitely got lucky that arguably their most influential player was taken out. I think an elite bowler gets to dismiss all eleven batsmen so they can clean up an average team, but a single batsman only gets the one wicket to protect and score - even if it's against average bowlers.

And really he only had to be good enough to get Siddle on day one, and the test goes the other way.

You get luck some times, and you must take it- McGrath in 2005 for instance went the other way- but I think it's worth being circumspect about the success and not chest beating if there's a valid qualifier.

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
And really he only had to be good enough to get Siddle on day one, and the test goes the other way.

You get luck some times, and you must take it- McGrath in 2005 for instance went the other way- but I think it's worth being circumspect about the success and not chest beating if there's a valid qualifier.
Agree re Siddle, the test was on a knife edge during that partnership with Smith, another good bowler to go at the tail and who knows, maybe Australia are all out for 200 and that totally changes everything.

The other side of it is England got beaten on the back of one of the best ever individual performances by a batsman, simple as that- I think it will take a few years for people to actually appreciate how impressive Smith's first test was in the context of cricketing history, but when you are the team on the wrong end of a great player playing the greatest match of his career, 9 times out of 10, you're going to lose and there's not much that can be done about it.

That said, if you want to pinpoint a moment totally within England's control, the fields they were setting for Smith to try and get the tailenders on strike were farcical, seriously eased the pressure on him, and arguably played him into the stellar form we saw in the second innings. He's a great player but if you aren't going to even give your bowlers a fighting chance to dismiss him you deserve to lose.

Last edited:

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
On Whiteman, he finally got back in the Shield squad last year and was really strong up the top of the order. Several 50s opening the batting.

I hope he continues that form because he a significantly better keeper than Carey and Carey has done nothing at 1st class level anyway. If Whiteman has a good season this year he'll be breathing down Carey's neck as next in.

Was going to say the same thing. Played the last few games of the BBL (which most people would've missed as the Scorchers were stone cold last) and the second half of the Shield season after that.

Fingers crossed he gets a clean run at it this year

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Wtf is Root talking about...the pitch produced a result and the Aussie bowlers managed to bowl his mob out twice. And his blokes had them 8 for 122. For me whilst it was a slow pitch it doesn’t mean I’d was substandard...his team were
They played on a wicket that looked like a fifth day wicket on day 2 arguably. But heh it was a good contest and went in to fifth day. Root has nothing to quibble about he and his team were not good enough to capitalise on having Australia 8 for SFA on Day 1. It did not look like a normal English wicket but does that make it Sub Standard? Australia 1 nil up nothing to see here. Move On

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wtf is Root talking about...the pitch produced a result and the Aussie bowlers managed to bowl his mob out twice. And his blokes had them 8 for 122. For me whilst it was a slow pitch it doesn’t mean I’d was substandard...his team were
Pretty funny England whinging about the home pitch though. Was it Bairstow who cracked the shits over the WC pitches when England looked like missing the finals briefly as well?

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
Pretty funny England whinging about the home pitch though. Was it Bairstow who cracked the s**ts over the WC pitches when England looked like missing the finals briefly as well?

It's generally frowned upon when visiting teams lose and whinge about the decks so this england side should be getting slammed by the media for constantly whinging about home pitches.

Of all the sides they probably doctor the pitches to suit opponents and series scorelines the most so I guess they don't know how to react when everything isn't in their favour.

Park cricketer

Club Legend
Nov 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The ashes brought out many english ex pats in here. Great atmosphere in the local bars and pubs. One may wonder why they are not derided for their support of england, when during an indian tour, locals who support india are?

There are certain perks you get to enjoy being a British 'expat' as opposed to being an Indian/asian 'immigrant' anywhere in the world.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Carey has done nothing at 1st class level anyway.

I am growing so tired of this comment. How is a player supposed to impress at 1st Class level when he's always taken away to play limited over cricket? He only played 2 Shield games last year, made a century and averaged 75. Whiteman's been around a lot longer than Carey and they've made the same number of shield 100s.

I am growing so tired of this comment. How is a player supposed to impress at 1st Class level when he's always taken away to play limited over cricket? He only played 2 Shield games last year, made a century and averaged 75. Whiteman's been around a lot longer than Carey and they've made the same number of shield 100s.
Good point, he's still done nothing at Shield level. His glovework is also average.

Whiteman has also been injured for the better part of 2 years.

And I've said Carey has front-running, if he goes back to the Shield and make runs this year the spot is his.

Aug 27, 2007
brisbane
AFL Club
Essendon
Bit like maxwell

The ashes brought out many english ex pats in here. Great atmosphere in the local bars and pubs. One may wonder why they are not derided for their support of england, when during an indian tour, locals who support india are?

There are certain perks you get to enjoy being a British 'expat' as opposed to being an Indian/asian 'immigrant' anywhere in the world.

I get the point you're trying to make and agree with it to a certain extent but I also believe it has something to do with the fact that if you derided a Pom about their behaviour you're more likely to end up with missing teeth than if you were to do the same to any other expat.

For the record I don't particularly find the brand of atmosphere vocal english supporters bring to local pubs, clubs and venues charming in the slightest.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
On Whiteman, he finally got back in the Shield squad last year and was really strong up the top of the order. Several 50s opening the batting.

I hope he continues that form because he a significantly better keeper than Carey and Carey has done nothing at 1st class level anyway. If Whiteman has a good season this year he'll be breathing down Carey's neck as next in.

How good is Whiteman keeping to spin? I thought there were questions being asked about that.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I get the point you're trying to make and agree with it to a certain extent but I also believe it has something to do with the fact that if you derided a Pom about their behaviour you're more likely to end up with missing teeth than if you were to do the same to any other expat.

For the record I don't particularly find the brand of atmosphere vocal english supporters bring to local pubs, clubs and venues charming in the slightest.

When England played Australia in a ODI at Perth Stadium a couple of years back, I went with my son who would have been 9. People got on the train at Murdoch until it was too full, then many stepped back to wait for the next train. We were jam packed. When we arrived at the next station, about 10 English supporters tried to squeeze into our carriage. We had nowhere to go and my son was getting squashed against a wheelchair. I pushed these guys back and said there is no room. (I had my England shirt on). "Stupid Aussies don't know how to use a train. Squeeze up everyone, plenty of room lads etc. blah blah blah". They pushed again.

My son's legs were up against a wheelchair and he did not have a centimetre of room to move. I grabbed one of them and pushed him off the train. "You're squashing my son. There is no room. Wait for the next train"".
In Japan, they fit more people on than this".
"That won't stop my son getting squashed right now will it?"
A tap on the shoulder from one of them. "You need to settle down mate"
I said something about not settling down while my son is getting squashed...
Went on for 5 minutes with the doors unable to be closed. Half of them got pushed off.

Arrive at the cricket. Sat with my in laws and old school mates. Had a great laugh. Went and found some other mates late in the day and went to the bar for a beer. Chatting to an Aussie in the queue. A drunk English fan comes and grabs me. "Caaaaaaarrrrrn. Let's beat these Aussie campaigners". I pushed him off me. "What's wrong with you mate? If you don't wanna be 'ere, be somewhere else !!!!" He screamed into my face.
"I do want to be here. I don't want you to be here."

At the end of the day, chatting to my son, he said will the train be like that for all of the Scorchers games? he was genuinely worried about going.
I said no, because it will be people going to enjoy themselves and watch the cricket. The English fans try to be more English than the next and try to impose themselves onto everybody. In short, when they get in a big group. They are a bunch of morons.

I'm a Pom. I don't find them charming either.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

Its funny my dad used to always say to me You'll get beaten up wearing that s**t. I was like, nah this is Australia, we don't beat up people for supporting the opposition!

When England played Australia in a ODI at Perth Stadium a couple of years back, I went with my son who would have been 9. People got on the train at Murdoch until it was too full, then many stepped back to wait for the next train. We were jam packed. When we arrived at the next station, about 10 English supporters tried to squeeze into our carriage. We had nowhere to go and my son was getting squashed against a wheelchair. I pushed these guys back and said there is no room. (I had my England shirt on). "Stupid Aussies don't know how to use a train. Squeeze up everyone, plenty of room lads etc. blah blah blah". They pushed again.

My son's legs were up against a wheelchair and he did not have a centimetre of room to move. I grabbed one of them and pushed him off the train. "You're squashing my son. There is no room. Wait for the next train"".
Went on for 5 minutes with the doors unable to be closed. Half of them got pushed off.

Arrive at the cricket. Sat with my in laws and old school mates. Had a great laugh. Went and found some other mates late in the day and went to the bar for a beer. Chatting to an Aussie in the queue. A drunk English fan comes and grabs me. "Caaaaaaarrrrrn. Let's beat these Aussie campaigners". I pushed him off me. "What's wrong with you mate? If you don't wanna be 'ere, be somewhere else !!!!" He screamed into my face.

At the end of the day, chatting to my son, he said will the train be like that for all of the Scorchers games? he was genuinely worried about going.
I said no, because it will be people going to enjoy themselves and watch the cricket. The English fans try to be more English than the next and try to impose themselves onto everybody. In short, when they get in a big group. They are a bunch of morons.

Bloody hell! I'm particularly impressed with "In Japan they fit more people than this on to the train". That's a special level of entitlement.

In fairness I'd imagine that's what it's like being any random European native when a bunch of pissed Aussies on a contiki tour would go through as well. I think the key difference is probably that group mentality: English tend to impose themselves and their presence and Bogans, I mean Aussies, try to Impose their, at this point well and truly redudant, laid back "larrikinism" on everyone. We are both countries that don't travel well (although I maintain you could at least put up with the drunk guy trying to be cool moreso than the drunk guy trying to put everyone down and tell them how to do things).

Still, could be worse...we could be American I suppose. They don't need the group dynamic to be noticeably poor travellers.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I was at the Man U vs Leeds game with my six-year-old son, I didn't find a lot of the English people on the train or at the game that charming either. That said, the old English bloke next to us in the stands was passionate and great. And it's a contrast to how I found them while living there for three years (I remember the fantastic atmosphere around the 2005 Ashes series). But as you say, there's a certain mob mentality.

Back