Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Gorgoroth - Under the Sign of Hell (1997 release).

After firmly establishing themselves at the vanguard of the second wave with their first two releases, album number three came at a critical junction for Gorgoroth's career. This was the opportunity for Infernus to demonstrate that he was a leader, not a follower, and as such to differentiate his band from its contemporaries. The hints of experimentation that were present on Antichrist were expanded on here, allowing for a unique listening experience to emerge. In parts it's sheer noise that blends with a black metal approach already taking a different path to that trodden by others, with Gorgoroth succeeded in crafting an album that stands apart from the rest of Norway's finest. This is certainly a very different product than Pentagram and Antichrist, though its seeds are evident in its more traditional minded predecessors. It's for the sake of its importance to the band establishing itself as a unique entity that it was re-recorded in 2011 upon the resolution of the name dispute in Infernus' favour, a statement that he was taking the band back in his direction and on his own terms.

The vocal performance of Pest is almost inhuman, and Grim's drumming shows us what a talent was lost with him.

Gorgoroth - Destroyer: or About how to Philosophize with the Hammer.

A curious release, recorded with several different lineups over time, Destroyer takes the more noise-minded approach of the first two tracks of Under the Sign of Hell to its logical conclusion in the title track, before taking the more melodic aspects of its predecessor's second half throughout much of the rest of the compilation, particularly on album highlight Open the Gates. The songs themselves aren't as jarring as you'd expect considering the length of time taken to record them and the frequent lineup changes Gorgoroth experienced in the mid to late 90s, and when put into context with what came before, Destroyer does make evolutionary sense in the band's Infernus-penned discography.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
A couple of blind buys in the city today. Recent Abyssal cd (on now and it sounds the goods so far - guess Profound Lore is a sign of quality) and new Victims cd. Was hoping the Full of Hell cd would be there but no good. Also picked up the Rocky 4 soundtrack and some Tarantino films. Sick day incoming.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
The Sword - Age of Winters followed by Grand Magus - Wolf God

I really dont listen to Grand Magus as much as i should. They are just super solid, everything ive heard ive liked but i just dont go back to them like i do other bands. Maybe that will change.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
The Sword - Age of Winters followed by Grand Magus - Wolf God

I really dont listen to Grand Magus as much as i should. They are just super solid, everything ive heard ive liked but i just dont go back to them like i do other bands. Maybe that will change.

First 2 The Sword albums are great. It's been a steady decline since imo.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
First 2 The Sword albums are great. It's been a steady decline since imo.
I have to agree although i did enjoy their 3rd album too. If i had to order them in order of preference it would be in chronological order 1-3 and then daylight to the rest. I have tried to enjoy their other 3 (? I think its 3) efforts but apart from a few moments here and there they are pretty average.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
New Prostitute Disfigurement arrived today. Two songs in and it is pretty ******* decent. I had a quick look at the lyrics and am pretty sure the vocalist has some legit issues with homosexuals and females. Goes beyond the usual 'brutal death' misogyny (which I don't get to start with to be honest). Wonder how they get away with it in the current climate to be honest.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
FB_IMG_1565145595123.jpg

Back