2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the Robertson injury legitimate or are the Weags just gaming the system again a la Darling?

Are there any players from WAFL, SANFL or VFL worth drafting?

Ideally a small forward.

Bennell has had another good year
The state leagues have been utterly plundered in the last few years. I am sure there are probably a couple of prospects but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best bet for mature players is probably those who missed last years draft. Some no doubt went and did well at state level.

The state leagues have been utterly plundered in the last few years. I am sure there are probably a couple of prospects but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Best bet for mature players is probably those who missed last years draft. Some no doubt went and did well at state level.

If small forwards are the go then Ryan Bennell is the one from WAFL that has stood out for mine. Averaging 1.1 goals a game, he has signficant speed and agility required for AFL but also does the team things of hunting and tackling. He is also 19, so there still plenty of time and he has basically being playing in Freo's reserve team anyway. However I am not sure he is dominant enough to warrant a go - I kind of feel he would be another Switkowski.

Essentially we get a top class small forward /flank in Henry, we could also go Elijah Taylor who has a lot of natural talent in this area. Anyone else is going to likely sit in reserves and not get a go.

I seen on Twitter that Elijah Taylor and Luke Jackson have been invited down to train with the team this week.

Pretty sure Sharp and Rivers (and Henry) as well as the above group trained with us at the start of the year or the back end of the last with Robertson, Georgiades etc with the Eagles. Wonder why Sharp and Rivers are no longer with us?

I seen on Twitter that Elijah Taylor and Luke Jackson have been invited down to train with the team this week.
especially keen on Jackson
less so on Taylor. have heard less than favourable comments from a teacher involved with him & this teacher bleeds purple, but then again, I suppose Dusty Martin probably had negative teacher reports.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If small forwards are the go then Ryan Bennell is the one from WAFL that has stood out for mine. Averaging 1.1 goals a game, he has signficant speed and agility required for AFL but also does the team things of hunting and tackling. He is also 19, so there still plenty of time and he has basically being playing in Freo's reserve team anyway. However I am not sure he is dominant enough to warrant a go - I kind of feel he would be another Switkowski.

Essentially we get a top class small forward /flank in Henry, we could also go Elijah Taylor who has a lot of natural talent in this area. Anyone else is going to likely sit in reserves and not get a go.

Not sure how many more 'mature aged' small forwards we need to draft, but Ryan Bennell should be looked at with a late or rookie pick. I think he's different enough to Schultz and Switkowski that he'd fit in, and still young enough to suggest there's development to come. Henry and Taylor should obviously be the priorities though.

Are there any players from WAFL, SANFL or VFL worth drafting?

Ideally a small forward.

The other state league small forwards are pretty similar to what we have now, Sam Lowson and James Rowe for example. I like Cole Gerloff from the SANFL, 20 year old 185cm forward. He's more of a half forward, wins plenty of ball and kicks goals. 19 year old Mihail Lochowiak is developing in the SANFL reserves too, he's almost a moneyball version of Cameron Taheny and worth a rookie pick in my opinion.

The other state league small forwards are pretty similar to what we have now, Sam Lowson and James Rowe for example. I like Cole Gerloff from the SANFL, 20 year old 185cm forward. He's more of a half forward, wins plenty of ball and kicks goals. 19 year old Mihail Lochowiak is developing in the SANFL reserves too, he's almost a moneyball version of Cameron Taheny and worth a rookie pick in my opinion.

Where do you see Gerloff going in the draft?

Yeah I’m in the same boat.
I know it is very WA centric but I think the synergy of being able to pick up a few local boys with picks this year could have multiple effects.
I’ve said in another thread my liking of Jackson but with a pick in the teens to twenties- just don’t know where he will go.
If we can stock up on picks by getting more this year like the Eagles have done previously I would be really happy.
My order of preference and as I said heavily WA biased:
- Robertson our first pick, I would be gutted to miss out on him, out and out leader, has poise in congestion and is a good size.
- Taylor, fills absolute missing link in our list, can turn a game, can jump on ya head and has amazing goal sense. Half forward pocket that could get through the middle
- Jackson, just can see something in him whether it be as a ruck if he grows some more or as a Kepler type hack of all trades
- Henry, he’s the issue, we must have him, but where will he go for us to match a bid. No brainer don’t let him go but is there anyway we can get any two of the others mentioned as well ?

IMO if we lose Langdon we will have currency, hopefully NOT losing B.Hill.
Trade our way into multiple picks less than 28 - somehow??

Don’t want much do I .......

definitely doable if Hilly goes....the target would be something like 10,12,17, 26,45,55 (about 4900 points) something like that
We currently have 1550 + say Hill at 1700 and our 26 720 we would be trading for picks with about 3990 in the bank. We have points in the bank in a sense if we are happy with some of our NGA's for next year as part of the strategy for this year's draft (are they mids etc to be considered). If they will be in the frame then trading our 2020 first for say 1000 points equiv plus a couple of 2020 late third rounders would be an option to achieve the extra points for trading those picks we want.

***My only query for the experts is if say Henry is bid on at say 13 are we able to use the points from picks 55,45 and 26 first before using 17.

Any training watchers got a sneaky, cheeky report for us on how these young fellas looked today??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back