Review 2019 AFL National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Starting to think Dylan Stephens is a legit option at our first selection.

High endurance mid with a nice left boot gathered 26 disposals and 8 tackles in the SANFL seniors last week suggesting he runs both ways.

Showed a bit of toe in this goal from the same game.

Had a decent champs being named AA averaging 23.5 disposals and 4.3 tackles when used mainly as a wingman however he did collect 9 clearances vs the Allies which shows he has some inside game which once he puts on some bulk could be an ideal inside/outside type down the track.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm not quite sure about the criteria surrounding this, but I note that Hibberd & Mountford are not listed:

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm not quite sure about the criteria surrounding this, but I note that Hibberd & Mountford are not listed:

A minimum of 1 club up to 3clubs need to nominate the players for state testing. Upwards of 4 and it is off to the national testing.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I suspect Hibberd & Mountford will nominate for the open draft.

No doubt they will. I guess they don’t really need to test at a combine as they athletic capabilities are already well known.

Luke Partington is the only ex-listed player to get a gig at the testing. There was always questions marks about his endurance and athletic capabilities so I'm tipping that's why he has been nominated by a number of clubs.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Starting to think Dylan Stephens is a legit option at our first selection.

High endurance mid with a nice left boot gathered 26 disposals and 8 tackles in the SANFL seniors last week suggesting he runs both ways.

Showed a bit of toe in this goal from the same game.

Had a decent champs being named AA averaging 23.5 disposals and 4.3 tackles when used mainly as a wingman however he did collect 9 clearances vs the Allies which shows he has some inside game which once he puts on some bulk could be an ideal inside/outside type down the track.

I really like Stephens, last year he was purely an outside runner but over the last 6 months he has added a harder edge to his game.

He is a classic 80-100m player, run 30-40 then a long kick.

He’ll be a bit of a slow burn because of how slight he is, but he’ll end up a damaging winger half back in the Isaac Smith mould.

He’ll go close to breaking the time trial and shuttle run records at the combine too I’d imagine.

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Pykie has been banging on about him for a while.
🤔 Naaaaaahhhhh mate, Waussie and myself are pilot and co-pilot on the Luke Learjet.

King Corey was just throwing you a bone, he knows how much we’ve been pumping him up 😉

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A couple of players who might be available at our 2nd or maybe even 3rd round pick that stood out to me a bit after watching a few of the championship games.

Cam Taheny - Pretty poor championships but you can see he has ‘it’. Powerful half forward, booming left foot kick. Cousin of Brad McKenzie, with the same kicking action. Played predominantly as a half forward (which we don’t need) but his kicking would be a weapon at AFL level. Played a fair bit of footy at SANFL level this year. Strong overhead for his size. Averaging 15 touches and 2.5 goals per game at SANFL league level.

Elijah Taylor - again another half forward, who we probably won’t pick but he is exciting. Has freakish movement, really nice finishing skills and tackles hard. His vision and ability to finish is much like our very own Lindsay Thomas. Doesn’t get a tonne of the footy but is damaging when he finds it. Seems to have a Hugh work rate but not sure if he has spent much time in the midfield. Hard to see where he goes in the draft.

Thomson Dow - Brother of Paddy Dow. Completely different player. Tall, tough reliable midfielder. Has a bit of toe, but not super quick like his brother. More consistent with his skills. Two way runner, strong overhead. Really doesn’t have any kinks in his armour, but doesn’t really have any features in his game that make him stand out.

Jay Rantall - really, really like the way this kid goes about it. Ex basketballer. Shown heaps of improvement this year as a midfielder. Excellent lateral movement and vision. Reliable kick. Strong and physically developed. Has had a few games in the NaB league where he has kicked multiple goals. He is also a good runner. Very well rounded footballer. Tonnes of upside. Really hope he is one we closely look at!

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A late/rookie prospect from left field is Werribee forward/wingman Bior Malual.

Sudanese footballer, 22 y.o played a few games for western jets a few years ago after only being introduced to football at age 16.

After winning BOG in the EDFL granny last year and winning Airport West’s best and fairest he got listed by Werribee. He is 188cm and only 70kg but he is lightning quick, has a freakish vertical leap and is an elite runner. Haven’t seen him play myself but a few guys down at Werribee said his development has been off the charts this year and he has scouts watching him every game. Mark Williams has said if he was still in the AFL system he would have no hesitation picking up, because he had the ability to turn a game on its head.

He played in the forward pocket on the weekend for Werribee and kicked 4.1 to go with his 20 touches. Has kicked 18 goals for the year and averaged 13 disposals per game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It may be measured internally, but it's not a released statistic at the combine or at TAC Cup level.

They do the standing vertical jump at the combine, but that is a fairly useless statistic in AFL imo and brings jumping athleticism into it, which is getting more and more irrelevant for ruckman in modern footy.

Hand size is usually a very important stat at the NFL combine as that determines some players footwork, ability to push off and the cleanliness with the ball for the backfield players like the receivers and running backs.

We used to measure it, I can't recall if we still do and release it, however it's an extremely important metric for the same physical rating of how clean some players are with the ball and how strong they potentially are as contested marks.

Again, I wouldn't be surprised if Tarryn Thomas has large hands and long arms. As he's freaklishly clean and a great contested mark.
I recall thinking that young Crock had a decent set of mitts on him when I saw this pic of him as 15 y/o, footy seems small in his hands, your thoughts Pykie ?

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Apparently he's Nostradamus.

Uncontracted player has not signed new contract in mid August - id love to know what the historical % figure is for those R/U FAs unsigned in August who remain with their parent club.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
A late/rookie prospect from left field is Werribee forward/wingman Bior Malual.

Sudanese footballer, 22 y.o played a few games for western jets a few years ago after only being introduced to football at age 16.

Is there an age cut-off for admitting a player never in the AFL system into an NGA and potentially Cat B listing? Werribee is in our zone I think?

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Yeah reckon he wouldn't get the same offer as Wells did from the opposition club.

More importantly we want to keep him and he could well stay. So it's completely moot unless Quin can SEE DA FOOCHYA.

Goldy more 'decorated' and our top earner which actually counts.

We wouldn't be stupid enough to let him go for less. I hope.

Back