Recommitted Ben King [extends contract to 2022]

saints man

Senior List
Mar 26, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Looking at it subjectively. I believe St Kilda are in a good position to get Ben. I don’t think it will happen this year, it wouldn’t make sense. He might even sign a contract extension. At some point though he will wear a saints jumper.

You do have to factor in Max. Twins have a unique bond, different from what I have with my brother. They grew up, studied and played all their footy in the bayside (bubble) area. They are well respected in the community. I just personally believe Max is the trump card along with the fair tale that comes with it.

St Kilda would be silly not to get him to the club as well. If Max and Ben do turn into the players it is expected. It could potentially be a lethal forward line due to them being in sync. Chuck membrey in as a third medium/tall in the mix, that is some hard match ups. We have struggled to recruit marquee players. Two twins who are guns and good people are going to help with memberships and getting kids to the footy. If Marshall keeps getting better, Stkilda could potentially have three elite talls. In a perfect world have Billings, Marshall, Gresh, M King, B King, Clark, Steele, Coffield and a Smokey in Bytel. Along with if we can actually get one or two from another club *Josh kelly* as marquee players who kids wear on the back of their jumpers.

Any way if this doesn’t happen feel free to quote me. P.s Josh kelly call was bait

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
You do realize that clubs already raiding The Suns for a first year draftee is a big reason why Gold Coast will get a Priority Draft Pick ?
Don't play the outrage card when they get picks 1 and 2, and probably some of COLA too.

The AFL needs to do more to protect The Suns from tinpot clubs who are too lazy or unable to draft and develop a decent KPP like King..

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
You do realize that clubs already raiding The Suns for a first year draftee is a big reason why Gold Coast will get a Priority Draft Pick ?
Don't play the outrage card when they get picks 1 and 2, and probably some of COLA too.

The AFL needs to do more to protect The Suns from tinpot clubs who are too lazy or unable to draft and develop a decent KPP like King..

With future pick trading, Saint Kilda could have easily acquired both. But as you said, lazy, tin-pot clubs.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd

You mean like the guy they took at pick one, who then went and had chronic concussion injuries that are likely to end his career by ... 23?

LAZY!

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

Ahh.. so you mean the clubs that have not been sh1t enough to finish bottom to get a chance to draft top end talent..I see.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Ahh.. so you mean the clubs that have not been sh1t enough to finish bottom to get a chance to draft top end talent..I see.

Being bumped down one slot in the draft isn't going to deprive any club of getting elite young talent. ..

As I said before, it's partly the other fault of other clubs for raiding Gold Coast of most of its top and talent, that they will be getting a Priority Pick.

The arrogant comment by the Port Recruting manager of raiding The Suns for their two young gun SA draftees two years ago is a prime example of the contemptible attitude that clubs have towards Gold Coast as a feeder club.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Being bumped down one slot in the draft isn't going to deprive any club of getting elite young talent. ..

As I said before, it's partly the other fault of other clubs for raiding Gold Coast of most of its top and talent, that they will be getting a Priority Pick.

The arrogant comment by the Port Recruting manager of raiding The Suns for their two young gun SA draftees two years ago is a prime example of the contemptible attitude that clubs have towards Gold Coast as a feeder club.
hang on, but if Gold Coast are finishing down the bottom and snaffling the best young players that other clubs also covet - those clubs never had a chance to take the players GC get and develop them so it hardly means they are tin pot clubs. So why not say that those players will be attractive targets when they are coming out of contract? It is up to Gold Coast to develop a culture and make the place attractive to try and ward off other clubs attempts. Clubs don't seem to have a problem targeting the crows best players over recent seasons so why can't the crows for example target Lukosius or Grundy from Collingwood. It is on GC to sort it out at their end and gifted PP's just make other clubs more resentful and maybe more determined to go after players coming out of contract

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
hang on, but if Gold Coast are finishing down the bottom and snaffling the best young players that other clubs also covet - those clubs never had a chance to take the players GC get and develop them so it hardly means they are tin pot clubs. So why not say that those players will be attractive targets when they are coming out of contract? It is up to Gold Coast to develop a culture and make the place attractive to try and ward off other clubs attempts. Clubs don't seem to have a problem targeting the crows best players over recent seasons so why can't the crows for example target Lukosius or Grundy from Collingwood. It is on GC to sort it out at their end and gifted PP's just make other clubs more resentful and maybe more determined to go after players coming out of contract

Gold Coast are a unique case though and a victim of some unusual circumstances beyond their control and self-inflicted .

At least Rankine has re-signed which is a good start. In King's case, I don't think the two clubs mentioned him in this thread (Dogs and Saints) actually really need him, more of a case of trying to buy another high draft pick cheaply.

I hope the Suns play some serious hardball if he choses to leave at the end of his contract, a top 5 pick plus something else should be a starting point, given the time and development they have put into him.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gold Coast are a unique case though and a victim of some unusual circumstances beyond their control and self-inflicted .

At least Rankine has re-signed which is a good start. In King's case, I don't think the two clubs mentioned him in this thread (Dogs and Saints) actually really need him, more of a case of trying to buy another high draft pick cheaply.

I hope the Suns play some serious hardball if he choses to leave at the end of his contract, a top 5 pick plus something else should be a starting point, given the time and development they have put into him.
No issue at all in GC playing hardball - you would not expect it any other way

Munnez

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B

Dogs have a genuine need for another quality tall in the extreme. We would probably prefer a more advanced option, but if Ben did want to come would take the longer term view.
Ben comes in alongside Schache and Naughton released back to his preferred option of KPD

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda

I won't be whinging if Gold Coast get a PP and we get Ben King...

Flags_In_The_Bag

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Not a fan of overseas teams.....
I just don’t think it’s viable for St Kilda to be trading him in. GC should demand heaps for him and preferably the King brothers both play as forward.

St kilda board always float the idea of trading Bruce but I don’t think it’s a great idea.

That being said I’d imagine Ben king wants to play with his brother at some point.
I would think he wants to be in Melbourne but at a different club then his brother .

I could be wrong but I’m pretty shore schache did extend his contract during his first contract he left during his extension
Schache did extend, but ended up leaving a few months after, at the end of his first contract.

I would think he wants to be in Melbourne but at a different club then his brother .
Didn’t he say last year he was glad that they were at different clubs? They’ve always played together and he was keen to play for an opposing team iirc.

Aug 15, 2009
Geelong
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Didn’t he say last year he was glad that they were at different clubs? They’ve always played together and he was keen to play for an opposing team iirc.
“I think we are very close, so ideally we would like to stay together,” Ben said.
“But I think we have spent so much time together that a bit of independence from each other wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen. We’ve kind of got both our heads around it that we probably won’t end up at the same club.
“I think we are getting use to it.”

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Would love him but I’m not sold on the wanting to play with his brother thing either I worked at the same company as my two older brothers for a few years was a nightmare I hated it could be different for twins but if he comes back to Melbourne everyone except Geelong would be in the race!

Back