Resource Potential Port Adelaide father son players

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be encouraging Borlase not to nominate as a Next Generation Academy pick by saying:

"I have decided not to nominate as a Next Generation player for the Adelaide Football Club. My father played more than 200 games for the Port Adelaide Football club and was a premiership captain. I have no allegiance to the AFC and would prefer to take my chances in the draft than be tied to Adelaide. I am prepared to play for any club to pursue my AFL dream and will take my chances in the draft."

This would not only ensure Adelaide don't grab him (they'd be mad to draft him after that) but would warn 16 other clubs that this boy has a lot of Port in him and would always be a flight risk if selected. Port could guarantee Borlase that we would take him with our first, second or third pick (depending on his true value).

Someone tell this plan to Daisy.
Can we really guarantee that we'd get him? He's fair game for anyone at the draft if he denies the NGA offer. As bad as this might sound, the safer option for James is to nominate as an NGA selection for the Crows. I suppose the best we can hope for is he'll follow in the footsteps of Brett Chalmers and request a trade to us after a few years at the Crows.

Jackson Mead was rated 18th on AFL.com.au's Phantom Form Guide today. Here's what they had to say about him:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-08/cal-twomeys-2019-phantom-form-guide-august-update

Jackson Mead
30/9/01
184cm/83kg
South Australia/Woodville-West Torrens
Midfielder
The son of Port Adelaide original Darren Mead, the 17-year-old has pieced together a solid season, including winning a spot in the under-18 All Australian team. Mead has some versatility to his game, being used as a ball-winner through the midfield and also an option across half-forward, where his smarts come into play. Likely to attract a bid somewhere in the second round of the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was a young kid going into the draft tomorrow, I'd rather risk going interstate than play for those campaigners. Depends how much of a one-eyed Port man young James is though. Given his circumstances he may have grown up seeing footy as his future profession rather than as something to get emotional and passionate about.

If I was a young kid going into the draft tomorrow, I'd rather risk going interstate than play for those campaigners. Depends how much of a one-eyed Port man young James is though. Given his circumstances he may have grown up seeing footy as his future profession rather than as something to get emotional and passionate about.
Gee. You'd have to really back yourself to go down that path if you want to eventually end up at Alberton. I would have thought most people would take the safer option.

Gee. You'd have to really back yourself to go down that path if you want to eventually end up at Alberton. I would have thought most people would take the safer option.

A) Doesn't have to be about ending up at Alberton. I'd rather play out a whole career in Victoria than play for the Crows.
B) If I wanted to eventually end up at Alberton, the Crows are the absolute last team I'd want to start my career at. There's a reason we haven't traded with them for 12 years and counting.

Would have been nice to have Pav and/or Brown but don't forget Tredders was 19 at the time and was very close to leaving us that year (he asked to be traded to Carlton). So if we had drafted young key forwards in Pavlich/Brown then perhaps Warren would have been pushed out the door. Staying on topic here, you could easily argue Tredders was our first father-son pick in the AFL and I would take him over Pavlich or Brown if push came to shove.

We do have a nice stream of father-son picks coming through from this year onward:

2019 - Trent Burgoyne
2019 - Jackson Mead
2020 - Oscar Lade
2020 - Owen Montgomery
2020 - Taj Schofield
2020 - Noah Wilson
2021 - Jase Burgoyne
2021 - Will Francou
2021 - Tex Wanganeen (also FS eligible for Essendon)
2022 - Harper Montgomery
2023 - Oliver Francou
2023 - Jack Lade
2024 - Ky Burgoyne (also FS eligible for Hawthorn)
2024 - Eddy Cornes
2025 - Jake Bishop
2025 - Darcy Thurstans
2025 - Gillon Wakelin (also FS eligible for St Kilda)
2026 - Raphael Cornes
2026 - Louis Salopek
2026 - Nate Tredrea
2026 - Tevita Rodan
2027 - Sonny Cornes
2028 - Leo Tredrea
2029 - Bodi Westhoff
2030 - Maikeli Rodan
2031 - Beau Schulz
2033 - Jack Dew
2033 - Anthony Surjan
2033 - Zander Surjan
2033 - Alipate Carlile Jr
2033 - Jude Carr
2035 - Leo Ebert

• Jase Burgoyne made the U16 SA state side this year and is playing for the West Lakes U16s.
  • Tex Wanganeen is playing for the Mitcham U16s this year.
  • Will Francou is playing for the Burleigh U16s (Gold Coast league) this year.
  • Harper Montgomery is playing for the Walkerville U15s this year.
  • Oliver Francou is playing for the Burleigh U14s (Gold Coast league) this year.
Is the year for Jase Burgoyne correct because he is playing U18 reserves for the Eagles at the moment.

Is the year for Jase Burgoyne correct because he is playing U18 reserves for the Eagles at the moment.

Birthday is 15 July 2003. Jase was in the 2019 u16 SA squad.

Can we really guarantee that we'd get him? He's fair game for anyone at the draft if he denies the NGA offer. As bad as this might sound, the safer option for James is to nominate as an NGA selection for the Crows. I suppose the best we can hope for is he'll follow in the footsteps of Brett Chalmers and request a trade to us after a few years at the

No we can’t guarantee we’d get him but a club in say Fremantle’s shoes will know he didn’t nominate to the Crows because he really wanted Port- that will signal “FLIGHT RISK” in big bold letters without breaking any draft rules.

I'd be encouraging Borlase not to nominate as a Next Generation Academy pick by saying:

"I have decided not to nominate as a Next Generation player for the Adelaide Football Club. My father played more than 200 games for the Port Adelaide Football club and was a premiership captain. I have no allegiance to the AFC and would prefer to take my chances in the draft than be tied to Adelaide. I am prepared to play for any club to pursue my AFL dream and will take my chances in the draft."

This would not only ensure Adelaide don't grab him (they'd be mad to draft him after that) but would warn 16 other clubs that this boy has a lot of Port in him and would always be a flight risk if selected. Port could guarantee Borlase that we would take him with our first, second or third pick (depending on his true value).

Someone tell this plan to Daisy.
Kids want to play with their mates. If he has mates at the crows NGA he will stay with it.

Peter Motley was a big Port supporter, was eligible for Port under the SANFL F-S rules, but he wanted to play with his mates who played for Sturt junior teams and he never left them to play for Port.

Yeah I'd throw myself in the draft and make as many noises as I legally can about wanting to follow in my fathers footsteps at Port.

Declare Brad Ebert my role model.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kids want to play with their mates. If he has mates at the crows NGA he will stay with it.

Peter Motley was a big Port supporter, was eligible for Port under the SANFL F-S rules, but he wanted to play with his mates who played for Sturt junior teams and he never left them to play for Port.
I think you'll find that Peter playing at Sturt had more to do with a split between Geoff Motley and Port at the time.

I think you'll find that Peter playing at Sturt had more to do with a split between Geoff Motley and Port at the time.
It didnt help, but Peter had the final say on where he played. After playing with mates at Sturt's U/14 and U/16 development squads he stuck with them. IIRC we didn't chase him and didn't invite him to join our junior development squads, and he didn't ask the old man to pursue it, because at the time he was happy playing with his mates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the sanfl had a father son rule when Peter Motley was going around.

There wasn't one when Scott Hodges played and he came along after Mots.

Geoff Motley at the time said Sturt put in all the effort and he didn't hear from Port. The club just assumed Peter would go to Port.

He could bring in a doctors certificate sighting mental health reasons. That seemed to work last draft.

I don't think the sanfl had a father son rule when Peter Motley was going around.

There wasn't one when Scott Hodges played and he came along after Mots.

Geoff Motley at the time said Sturt put in all the effort and he didn't hear from Port. The club just assumed Peter would go to Port.
They definitely had one about 12 years ago when I looked up stuff on Jeff Ebert's son to find out why he was playing for North. The rule was 1 game and Jeff played 1 for North in the late 1970's.

They definitely had one about 12 years ago when I looked up stuff on Jeff Ebert's son to find out why he was playing for North. The rule was 1 game and Jeff played 1 for North in the late 1970's.

They haven't had it long - certainly not as far back as Motley.

Scott Hodges' dad played for Port and he had to stand out of footy for a clearance.

2019 eligible
  • Jackson Mead is playing for the WWT seniors at Alberton today. Is this the first time he's played a senior match at Alberton? Might be worth heading out to see him today if you're interested.

2020 eligible
  • Couldn't find anything on Taj Schofield this week but two weeks ago he played for the WWT U18s and had 29 disposals, 8 clearances.

2021 eligible
  • Jase Burgoyne played for the Eagles U18s side yesterday and had 16 disposals, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 1 i50. Pretty good performance for a 15/16 year old playing U18s.
  • Will Francou will play for the Burleigh U16s today. You can't get stats from the junior levels in Queensland unfortunately so it's hard to know how he's been going this year but this will be his 10th game for them this year.
  • Tex Wanganeen kicked two goals for the Mitcham U16s last week.

2022 eligible
  • Harper Montgomery has played a few U15s games for Walkerville this year.

2023 eligible
  • Oliver Francou is playing for the Burleigh U14s this morning. Again, very difficult to find stats in Queensland but he's played 12 games this season which suggests he's a regular at that level.

Jase might be firming as the better player between he and Trent .
I remember when Peter was playing in Adelaide the Power must’ve had a week off and he brought Trent over to Pt. Lincoln , I was helping out with the Mallee Park kids and Peter brought Trent in to have a game but he was too shy to get ready and play . I’m not sure if he ever played at Mallee Park with Peter living in Adelaide ever since .
Hopefully they’ll kick on the boys I’d love another Burgoyne in the team

Jase might be firming as the better player between he and Trent .
I remember when Peter was playing in Adelaide the Power must’ve had a week off and he brought Trent over to Pt. Lincoln , I was helping out with the Mallee Park kids and Peter brought Trent in to have a game but he was too shy to get ready and play . I’m not sure if he ever played at Mallee Park with Peter living in Adelaide ever since .
Hopefully they’ll kick on the boys I’d love another Burgoyne in the team

Jase is clearly the better prospect and has been for a while.

Was thinking about what port might do with trading for players or picks knowing where our father son picks will be, surely it will be worth trading some picks to bring in players or get in a better pick.

With the crows looking at trading pick 3 surely we have a look at it by trading out our 1st for this year and next year etc knowing they potentially will be used on the father son picks anyway. We are finally in a position to take advantage of this situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back