2019 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

definitely doable if Hilly goes....the target would be something like 10,12,17, 26,45,55 (about 4900 points) something like that
We currently have 1550 + say Hill at 1700 and our 26 720 we would be trading for picks with about 3990 in the bank. We have points in the bank in a sense if we are happy with some of our NGA's for next year as part of the strategy for this year's draft (are they mids etc to be considered). If they will be in the frame then trading our 2020 first for say 1000 points equiv plus a couple of late third rounders would be an option to achieve the extra points for trading those picks we want.

***My only query for the experts is if say Henry is bid on at say 13 are we able to use the points from picks 55,45 and 26 first before using 17.
AFAIK no.
Wherever the bid comes your very next pick is used
So you can either trade down for multiple picks or trade up (and hope ) your ahead of any bid.
Others be able to give ya the full run down tho

AFAIK no.
Wherever the bid comes your very next pick is used
So you can either trade down for multiple picks or trade up (and hope ) your ahead of any bid.
Others be able to give ya the full run down tho
I believe someone has said that you can only have as many picks as you have list spots open so trading for more later picks worth more points is no longer possible

Jackson’s kicking makes Barlow look elite... have you seen any of the U18 games...

Grabs the ball reefs it on the hoof..

How many marks.....goals...

I watched him in the u18's final game and TBH he didn't get that many opportunities to kick cleanly but jeez he was damn handy at getting the ball forward.

Jackson’s kicking makes Barlow look elite... have you seen any of the U18 games...

Grabs the ball reefs it on the hoof..

How many marks.....goals...

Alex Pearce's kicking was atrocious until this year (where there was still the odd fluff kick, but lots of damaging ones as well)

The last WA junior tall whose kicking annoyed me was Aaron Naughton.

Patrick Cripps until this season did a lot of handballing.

Deven Robertson is not a good kick.

These are all random statements but what I am trying to say is if we evaluating him as an extra inside mid after the bounce then who probably will be just handballing to skilled outside players like Langdon....

Anyway he can handball well and tackle well and move through congestion well - Im for the idea of adding more clearance capacity from the ruck - the real question is will he continue to generate midfield possession numbers at higher levels? Logic says he might because of his mobility.

definitely doable if Hilly goes....the target would be something like 10,12,17, 26,45,55 (about 4900 points) something like that
We currently have 1550 + say Hill at 1700 and our 26 720 we would be trading for picks with about 3990 in the bank. We have points in the bank in a sense if we are happy with some of our NGA's for next year as part of the strategy for this year's draft (are they mids etc to be considered). If they will be in the frame then trading our 2020 first for say 1000 points equiv plus a couple of 2020 late third rounders would be an option to achieve the extra points for trading those picks we want.

***My only query for the experts is if say Henry is bid on at say 13 are we able to use the points from picks 55,45 and 26 first before using 17.
No. Points come from the next pick available, so pick 17, and if that's not enough, also from pick 26.

And, just checking, if pick 17 was more than enough points, the "left overs" go where? Added on to one of the remaining picks?
nah I think they become a new pick down the order. could be wrong though

And, just checking, if pick 17 was more than enough points, the "left overs" go where? Added on to one of the remaining picks?

They get turned into a pick of their value way down the end of the draft.

They get turned into a pick of their value way down the end of the draft.
Yep, they slot in to where their residual points value fits.

Say the bid comes at pick 13. After the 20% matching discount, you need 970 points to match. Pick 17 is worth 1025 points. So there are 55 points left over.

55 points gets you pick 69.

The only hitch is, if this generates a pick after your current last pick, and you don't have the list spots to use this pick, you lose the pick and points. And not to many clubs will trade a future 4th round pick for pick 69 unless they really, really, really want the kid on board at that stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, they slot in to where their residual points value fits.

Say the bid comes at pick 13. After the 20% matching discount, you need 970 points to match. Pick 17 is worth 1025 points. So there are 55 points left over.

55 points gets you pick 69.

The only hitch is, if this generates a pick after your current last pick, and you don't have the list spots to use this pick, you lose the pick and points. And not to many clubs will trade a future 4th round pick for pick 69 unless they really, really, really want the kid on board at that stage.
nice

Hi guys, hope you don't mind the intrusion. Heard this from a good source that the Dockers have put a lot of time into Dylan Stephens and have been monitoring him very closely. Also might be worth noting, he's from Mildura and has been boarding in Adelaide for 4 years, so is seen by the Dockers as less of a go-home risk.

Hi guys, hope you don't mind the intrusion. Heard this from a good source that the Dockers have put a lot of time into Dylan Stephens and have been monitoring him very closely. Also might be worth noting, he's from Mildura and has been boarding in Adelaide for 4 years, so is seen by the Dockers as less of a go-home risk.
Thanks, Chris25 will be very happy

They should definitely be running the eye over him. Good to hear, and thanks for the gossip.

Just observed some highlights on youtube of Stephens, looks really good. Numbers in the SANFL look really good as well.

Listed at 172cm & 60cm on the SANFL website, but 183cm & 70kg on the latest AFL.com.au phantom draft list. I assume that's just listed there from his 2018 season in under 18's?

I.hope so

I also hope Freo seriously consider west aus players

I am sure the recruiters do and will seriously consider West Australian players and put some kind of home grown weighting on them....but don't be surprised if we only take one (Henry) in this year's draft. The reality is that our picks at this stage (and later in the draft, our needs) are not ideally suited to picking any of them - 8 is probably too late for Robertson and probably too early for Jackson (although I won't be surprised to see them gamble on him with a pick 8-10, probably same way they did on Logue), next pick will get gobbled up for Henry bid, and our last pick is in the abyss somewhere and will (probably rightly) be spent on a 19 year old from anywhere around the country so long as they have talent and form. If we get get an extra top 10 pick, expect it to go Stephens from SA if it is early enough.

I have no doubt that our "supporters" will complain after the fact if Sharp turns out a gun, and forget the fact that all clubs had serious concerns about his work ethic and two way running (and forget that Sumich basically dropped him from the WA team for the last U18 championships game before being reinstated at the last minute) at the time. And Rivers will probably quietly suprise people playing for Geelong and be "the biggest miss" of them all....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back