What is wrong with Glenelg

Remove this Banner Ad

Just proves you were never a Maggies fan, only a Power.
Port Adelaide fan, but you know that.
I was actually the Magpie itself for a season.

Just proves you were never a Maggies fan, only a Power.
Port Adelaide fan, but you know that.
I was actually the Magpie itself for a season.

How much of that has to do with Sturt not having/owning a true home ground? Are maintenance and operating costs for each club's ground costing them a lot of money?

For those that aren't quite aware, Peter Motley Oval is basically a public park in Unley that they just happen to play organised state league football matches on. People are free to wander across it, play on it, walk their dogs through it at any time of the day or night, even during a football match if they so wished. There's been a number of pushes to make it an official closed-off home ground for the Sturt Football Club, but each time it's met with resistance and push-back from local residents.
That's not true. SFC have the oval booked for training and game day. If some residents chose to push the issue then they're told to * off.
Sturt has set up costs of about $5k - $7k each home game. More than any other club.

That's not true. SFC have the oval booked for training and game day. If some residents chose to push the issue then they're told to **** off.
Sturt has set up costs of about $5k - $7k each home game. More than any other club.

Fair enough, there's expense to them, and they "rent" it from the council. It's still officially a public park that they happen to play state league football on, rather than a proper home ground like other clubs have. I'd say any maintenance costs would fall to the City of Unley too, rather than the club themselves, which is a saving in itself.

Fair enough, there's expense to them, and they "rent" it from the council. It's still officially a public park that they happen to play state league football on, rather than a proper home ground like other clubs have. I'd say any maintenance costs would fall to the City of Unley too, rather than the club themselves, which is a saving in itself.
Maybe true to an extent re upkeep and maintenance costs but I'd think that was the case with any SANFL club, the local councils are responsible for those costs and pass it on. The extra costs Sturt are up for are for the exterior fencing and the boundary fencing prior to the permanent pickets being erected. Those and portable toilets etc. I think it's still around $5k more than other clubs which is why we trialled an "away" game against Adelaide at Thebby this year. They paid set up costs and we (Sturt) took the profits. From what I know the gate is * all but the food, Beveridge and not having to pay our normal set up costs made it a good profit.

on top of the table as i type, the tigers are in with a real shot, think we will cover hosie no problems

I've been a Bays fan for way longer than I've been with the Crows.
I was cheering the Tigers on yesterday and very glad to see them hold on. Hopefully they can go all the way this year.

I've been a Bays fan for way longer than I've been with the Crows.
I was cheering the Tigers on yesterday and very glad to see them hold on. Hopefully they can go all the way this year.
Minor premiership sewn up and the last 5 minor premiers have all not won the Premiership.....over to you Glenelg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minor premiership sewn up and the last 5 minor premiers have all not won the Premiership.....over to you Glenelg.

Finals are what we do best......Havent won one since the Prelim against Sturt in '08, have lost our last 4 or 5 from memory. Which includes a GF loss and straights sets in '09. God help us.

Premiership always wide open....but the Bays look very good ATM. If they do make the GF I'll be there with bells on!!!
So your name is not true. You would support against our kids against Glenelg. I’m a Norwood supporter but I’m much more emotionally and financially invested in the crows so I would love them to win even if it’s against my legs

So your name is not true. You would support against our kids against Glenelg. I’m a Norwood supporter but I’m much more emotionally and financially invested in the crows so I would love them to win even if it’s against my legs
Each to their own I guess but I've been a Glenelg fan since I was about 5yo and I don't change teams. Besides I'm far more interested in seeing an AFL flag from the Crows rather than in the 2's. I ALWAYS am keen to watch our Crows kids in action but I'd love to see a Bays flag this year.

Each to their own I guess but I've been a Glenelg fan since I was about 5yo and I don't change teams. Besides I'm far more interested in seeing an AFL flag from the Crows rather than in the 2's. I ALWAYS am keen to watch our Crows kids in action but I'd love to see a Bays flag this year.
Yeh Ive been Norwood since 1987 (5 years old) and Crows since 1991 (9 years old). I could almost count on my fingers the amount of Norwood games ive been to sinc 1991 as we stopped going once the crows came in. I did go to all 3 flags 2012-2014 and the GF last year. I couldnt change teams but never support against my teams either.

I guess I support two teams now in the sanfl

Last edited:
Yeh Ive been Norwood since 1987 (5 years old) and Crows since 1991 (9 years old). I could almost count on my fingers the amount of Norwood games ive been to sinc 1991 as we stopped going once the crows came in. I did go to all 3 flags 2012-2014 and the GF last year. I couldnt change teams but never support against my teams either.

I guess I support teams now in the sanfl
Fair enough. If Crows and Glenelg do play off in the GF though I'll have to support my Bays but I'll also be hoping our young Crows players put their hand up for next season.
If it does happen I'll be wearing my Crows jacket with my Gilderol/Glenelg guernsey underneath!!!

Fair enough. If Crows and Glenelg do play off in the GF though I'll have to support my Bays but I'll also be hoping our young Crows players put their hand up for next season.
If it does happen I'll be wearing my Crows jacket with my Gilderol/Glenelg guernsey underneath!!!
There’s no doubt in my mind who I wanted to win in the 2016 SANFL prelim.
If I ever had a choice between seeing a Sturt premiership or an adelaide AFL one I’d always pick Sturt.......maybe if Sturt won 10 in a row I’d reconsider, the best outcome is both.

There’s no doubt in my mind who I wanted to win in the 2016 SANFL prelim.
If I ever had a choice between seeing a Sturt premiership or an adelaide AFL one I’d always pick Sturt.......maybe if Sturt won 10 in a row I’d reconsider, the best outcome is both.
It seems very logical choice to me. One can support a club in the AFL and another in the SANFL. Why not? It is two different competitions. Since those teams can only play against each other in the SANFL, the SANFL club has precedence.

Such an arrangement is quite common in Brazil. We have no issues with it whatsoever; even though we have promotion and relegation; leagues and cups - which should make matters even more complicated. In South Australia, one should be able to barrack for the Power in the AFL and against the Magpies in the SANFL - because he barracks for Centrals, WWT, etc. (even Sturt or Norwood!) Again, why not? Same logic...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back