Toast Sam Walsh Rnd 4 Rising Star Nominee

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps & Walsh have the potential to be one of the best 1-2 punches I’ve seen in a while. We have an absolute BEAST on our hands.
imagine adding coniglio to the mix, along with another full preseason of setterfield

Cripps - Coniglio - Walsh - Setterfield.... unbelievable

and not forgetting Dow, Fisher, O'brien, SPS....

imagine adding coniglio to the mix, along with another full preseason of setterfield

Back in 5...

He’s been in coaches votes 7 out of the last 8 weeks. And it’s not like he played badly before that.

3 strong games to finish and the B+F May be very interesting....

It will be interesting as to what our starting midfield may look like post Murphy & ECurnow and that again may start as soon as next season, if full pre-seasons come about and younger bodies are strengthened enough to allow the loads required to be involved week in, week out..

The past few weeks have shown up Cripps, ECurnow and Murphy being the first-starting mids along with some Walsh thrown in.
Long term though, I don't think Walsh will be that regular starting mid, as I feel he's so much better being used off the wing.
It just seems to be the perfect fit for him, as his reading of the play allows him to get involved early.

Other than Cripps, it's somewhat difficult to be sure about which of our young mids will be best used where but I still see the best mix being -

1. Cripps, Dow & SPS.
2. Cripps, Dow & Fisher

Maybe I'm imagining something that just isn't there, but those blends of traits excite me most.
Of course if Coniglio comes on board, the last named drops off.

Setterfield

I just see Setterfield coming in when Cripps isn't involved.
Given Cripps is a 70-80% starter, that leaves Setterfield used roughly 1 in 5 times.

Anything can yet come about, but a good 'Dow' really gives us something dangerous, whether he gets first use of the ball, or a receive from Cripps.

Given Cripps is a 70-80% starter, that leaves Setterfield used roughly 1 in 5 times.

Anything can yet come about, but a good 'Dow' really gives us something dangerous, whether he gets first use of the ball, or a receive from Cripps.

Dow for sure. Definitely a centre square player. Reckon Setterfield will be used a lot more than that in the centre square, especially is Walsh is moved to a wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every now and then I lose faith in Dow. And then I go “wow”. Even in vfl he blew me away at times on the weekend. He has the ability to do really electric stuff that breaks up play and is impossible to stop. Soap is right - just needs to get super fit.

I’ve huge hopes for him.

Every now and then I lose faith in Dow. And then I go “wow”. Even in vfl he blew me away at times on the weekend. He has the ability to do really electric stuff that breaks up play and is impossible to stop. Soap is right - just needs to get super fit.

I’ve huge hopes for him.

This is taking things away from Walsh somewhat, but it's tricky now as to how we're best going to utilise the mids we have.
We feel that at full health all are worthy first-team starters, but how to fit them all in........and then what if we get Coniglio?
It's clear some will have to find a new home and some have already shown themselves to be capable and others have work to do

Cripps - Extractor and 1st picked
Walsh - Wingman and 1st picked.
SPS - HBF but also always in 1st picked.
Setterfield - Inside mid/Wingman
Dow - Inside mid/forward - Struggles forward.
Fisher - Inside mid/Wingman/Forward - 1st picked
Kennedy - Inside mid/Forward - Could struggle forward.
Stocker - Inside mid / HBF - Developing but quality showing up.

At this stage Cripps, Walsh, SPS and Fisher are automatic inclusions.
Given the role Stocker is being developed in and for the form and qualities he's showing, he could become a 1st starter also.
Setterfield is flexible and can be utilised all over the ground, so being a lock 1st picked isn't too far away.

That leaves Dow & Kennedy as the not-so-sures.
If Dow does fall out of favour as being utilised in the middle, what next for him?

Re. Walsh -

Feel for him as he'll take out the award, but have to listen to media 'geniuses' posturing as to why others will be better in time. Ugh!

Dow - Inside mid/forward - Struggles forward.

That leaves Dow & Kennedy as the not-so-sures.
If Dow does fall out of favour as being utilised in the middle, what next for him?

Dow will be a centre square player long term. He was doing it in his first year.

As for struggling forward, he's been struggling a bit everywhere this year. I put this down purely to fitness. I've seen enough to be confident of his talent. Hopefully he gets a good pre-season in.

It's clear some will have to find a new home

I dont agree. DT is showing us the way with moving mids forward and back. SPS could play a burgogne role- primarily off the hbf BUT used in the midfield when a spark is needed. Fisher seems a natural forward to me, stocker could go back like sps. Kennedy is doing much better utilising his marking up forward.
Good teams have a lot of midfield rotations and that requires many players other than your starting mids to be capable, so why get rid of midfielders when most of them are capable of performing non mid roles.
For years we were recruiting HBF's and trying to get them to be midfielders with very little success, but i really think midfielders are far more capable of going back or forward than vice versa

He’s been in coaches votes 7 out of the last 8 weeks. And it’s not like he played badly before that.

3 strong games to finish and the B+F May be very interesting....

Since Teague took over he's averaging just under 29 per game and he was averaging about 24 per game before that from the wing, his worst effort was 18 disposals against the Giants and he was our second leading possie winner on that day. He's played every game so far.

Cripps has had a number of off days where he's had between 12-18 touches and he's missed a few weeks. I can see Walsh getting Bnf votes in every game, some max votes also. He's been our most consistent player throughout the year, statistically speaking.

He's an unbelievable football player - the fact that he is guaranteed a top 3 finish, could likely win it in his first year when we have guys like Cripps, Murph, Curnow much older and have played alot of footy this year is just insane for a first year player who's just starting out.

If he can win a BnF in his first year, has another 15 years of football in him, what the hell is he going to get done in the rest of his time? If this is the sort of consistency he can produce from the get go then imagine what the future holds, health permitting of course. Brownlow medals, Norm Smiths (multiples of all) - how many BnF's can he win if this is what he's capable of from the start? 7, 8 or 9 is not out of the question if his body and luck with health allows it**

**we pray to god!

Last edited:
If the judging panel is anything like 2017 (first panel which popped up in a Google search) then I doubt that he will get full marks.

Panel = Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Kevin Sheehan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Andrew Dillon, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Can see KB and Richo giving 5 to Stack and Tredrea giving 5 to Rozee.....

Just did a quick estimate on what each judge would award Sydney Stack and Sam Walsh.

Got Stack on 46 points and Walsh on 41.

Trust me, he'll get robbed. Too much bias in that panel.

I dont agree. DT is showing us the way with moving mids forward and back. SPS could play a burgogne role- primarily off the hbf BUT used in the midfield when a spark is needed. Fisher seems a natural forward to me, stocker could go back like sps. Kennedy is doing much better utilising his marking up forward.
Good teams have a lot of midfield rotations and that requires many players other than your starting mids to be capable, so why get rid of midfielders when most of them are capable of performing non mid roles.
For years we were recruiting HBF's and trying to get them to be midfielders with very little success, but i really think midfielders are far more capable of going back or forward than vice versa

Two things here:

1. By 'a new home', I mean a new ground position to add to their portfolio and not a new club.
2. I agree that you're far better off turning mids into HBF's than the other way around. Strike rate will be much, much higher.

re. Sam Walsh. Just grab yourself another 25+ possessions and kick a couple of goals to close the gate on the talk of others taking the RS off him/.

Two things here:

1. By 'a new home', I mean a new ground position to add to their portfolio and not a new club.
2. I agree that you're far better off turning mids into HBF's than the other way around. Strike rate will be much, much higher.

re. Sam Walsh. Just grab yourself another 25+ possessions and kick a couple of goals to close the gate on the talk of others taking the RS off him/.

The new home threw me, thought that you were referring to a new club. I think we are on the same page then

Remove this Banner Ad

Back