Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

Mentioned on Monday would be handy to play Pickett and or Ross, as not many games to go and would rather less minutes in senior side to get acclimatised to the MCG and first grade footy

Whether they play or not, coaching are thinking outside the square and not leaving any stones unturned...

I love hype as much as anyone, but..

some perspective here needed.

He has been playing WAFL for quite a few years where he averages just over 12 possessions. Not sure he ever polled in the top 10 in the Sandover or even made their Team of the Year.

Why is he suddenly going to dominate at AFL level?

BTW... come at me!!!

He has been playing WAFL for quite a few years where he averages just over 12 possessions. Not sure he ever polled in the top 10 in the Sandover or even made their Team of the Year.

BTW... come at me!!!

if grime thinks he's good then he is guaranteed to win the norm smiff and then the brownlow next year

BTW... come at me!!!

He averages just under 19 possessions a game at WAFL level over his career, 12 is this year where he got injured in his second game and missed most of it.

BTW... come at me!!!
Maybe before you tell people to get perspective, do a little homework.

BTW... come at me!!!

His operative averages are probably from 2018 only when moved to the midfield, to replace Tim Kelly.

He averaged 22 possessions, and a score per match, 13.8 for the season. But his best work seems to have been done in the finals, in two of those he had around mid 20's possessions and in one of those he kicked 4.1 and 2.0 in the other. The other really good stat with him is 4.6 tackles per match. WAFL footy is probably more open than AFL so this looks a high number for a midfielder. He also averaged a sneaky 1.5 hitouts per match, so he has a trick or two up his sleeve there as well.

I don't think you will be looking on the stats sheet each week and saying "wow." But I think you will be watching and saying "wow." A bit like Sir Sydney. :)

BTW... come at me!!!
Yeah the carry on worries me for him more than anything.
Ridiculous expectations and I can just imagine the comments if they aren’t met.
Seen it all too much in here.

I think we should just wait until we've seen him play a senior game or two. I hope the hype about Marlion is matched by his performances, but it's just ridiculous the level of expectation.

I think we should just wait until we've seen him play a senior game or two. I hope the hype about Marlion is matched by his performances, but it's just ridiculous the level of expectation.

I hope he kills it but, lets see what happens.

bit of water under the bridge to flow yet....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BTW... come at me!!!
Because he's playing in a great Team! And only has to play a part/team role...not be a Dusty!
Second game wellll that's a different matter...

I know it is not good form to say we are playing lowly Carlton, but if you can't bring in a new player, especially a seasoned footballer who has a track record of being hard at the ball, against one of the bottom sides, then something is wrong. Butler last week was carried, he deserved a recall just to see where he was at finally, but he was ineffective as they probably new he would be.
Why not have a look at him, the players all rave about him, like Stack, those watching training and matches can just tell.

And now watching him line up in the VFL....

There was the same hesitant stance with Stack before his first game.

His "numbers" weren't raising any eyebrows and at times looked to be cruising too much.

But it was his impact per possession. His toughness. His skill set. You could see he could play the game.

I was more impressed with Pickett's match last week than any of Stackies VFL matches.

If you want the club to save him for next year then cool, but once you see him play then I have no doubt you will be onboard the Pickett Train.

My Freo mates reckon they would rather have Marlion Pickett than Tim Kelly and are pissed we took him!!!

ALL ABOARD!!!

I'm just hoping that he is able to provide a point of difference at AFL level, and improve the midfield. If he's a star than that's awesome. But I highly doubt it.

No matter how good a player is, no one's a star from day dot, but quality players can make you a better side instantaneously, which i have no doubt will happen with Pickett. Im expecting him to settle in and make us better the same way Stack, Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy, Lynch, Graham, Ross etc made us a better side the moment they took to the field.

Last edited:

You're right. Time to lower our expectations.

Only 1 statue outside the MCG then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back