Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. Melbourne (R21, Sat 10/08 1:45pm MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne's named forward line.

Dunkley 185cm
Fritsch 188cm
Hunt 187cm
Melksham 186cm
Petracca 186cm
Petty 197cm

Madgen is 5cm shorter than Petty and and at least 5cm Taller and slower than the other forwards.
There just isn't a match up for him.

Melbourne's named forward line.

Dunkley 185cm
Fritsch 188cm
Hunt 187cm
Melksham 186cm
Petracca 186cm
Petty 197cm

Madgen is 5cm shorter than Petty and and at least 5cm Taller and slower than the other forwards.
There just isn't a match up for him.

What a simplistic analysis. We made a grand final last year with all our key defenders unavailable and the backline was sensational. Even Madgen did his bit when called upon.

Madgens form has been superior to Goldsacks. If they want to bring in a defender to free up Roughead they are the only two remaining choices.

It wouldn’t surprise me if both Madgen and Roughead played back and Howe went forward... and Wills did the backup ruckwork. Madgen in the 22 allows that flexibility

Forget his height, he doesn’t even have the talent to play.

I’d rather Blair being undersized than picking Madgen and trying to justify that he is battling physical limitations

He didn't set the world on fire last time, and he is getting a run because our stocks are low.

High stakes scenario for a guy to wear the jumper and come into the seniors. I hope he does his job for the team. Doubly so because of statements like the above.

He didn't set the world on fire last time, and he is getting a run because our stocks are low.

High stakes scenario for a guy to wear the jumper and come into the seniors. I hope he does his job for the team. Doubly so because of statements like the above.

Exactly this. Just because he had a stinker last start doesn’t mean he doesn’t deserve a recall. Just like nobody has written Appleby off just because of one game.

Knightmare, looks like Petracca will play full forward, and gets a go against a team with no recognised key defender if we take Roughead out of there. I know that's a role you've been keen for him to play for awhile, are you interested to see how it goes?

Because he selected Madgen?

Lynch simply can’t be a worse option than him, he can’t be, particularly given the role Mason Cox plays and the “minimum” we expect from him, I refuse to believe Max Lynch can’t perform that role to a minimum standard against opposition like Melbourne.

I expect Madgen’s man to be used quite frequently now and why wouldn’t you?

For the VFL regulars.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Madgen ruck, has ever played forward?
He has played ruck, doesn't get many tapouts but his clearance work while rucking was very impressive when i saw him, unfortunately they had to move him to defence in the second half as we had an injury to a KPD that day but yeah, he can certainly provide grunt in the middle

Because he selected Madgen?

Lynch simply can’t be a worse option than him, he can’t be, particularly given the role Mason Cox plays and the “minimum” we expect from him, I refuse to believe Max Lynch can’t perform that role to a minimum standard against opposition like Melbourne.

I expect Madgen’s man to be used quite frequently now and why wouldn’t you?

What’s Lynch’s track record as a forward, which he would have been doing for 90 percent of the match? Don’t answer that, it’s a rhetorical question. The answer is zero.

At least with the Madgen option we still have the flexibility to switch Roughead back if needed. Roughead is a proven ruckman and has been a competent forward in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare, looks like Petracca will play full forward, and gets a go against a team with no recognised key defender if we take Roughead out of there. I know that's a role you've been keen for him to play for awhile, are you interested to see how it goes?

If Melbourne get Petracca quick delivery (that's their problem with poor speed/skill and the ball comes in too slow to their forwards) Petracca can take advantage of opposition defenders both 1v1 and when the ball hits the deck.

He was in 2016 or 2017 I believe it was the second best forward in 1v1 contests. And for a forward his contested ball numbers have always been through the roof. Isolate him deep, and he can take advantage of guys if Melbourne's delivery is decent. His performance will be only as good as Melbourne's delivery.

If Melbourne get Petracca quick delivery (that's their problem with poor speed/skill and the ball comes in too slow to their forwards) Petracca can take advantage of opposition defenders both 1v1 and when the ball hits the deck.

He was in 2016 or 2017 I believe it was the second best forward in 1v1 contests. And for a forward his contested ball numbers have always been through the roof. Isolate him deep, and he can take advantage of guys if Melbourne's delivery is decent. His performance will be only as good as Melbourne's delivery.

Matchup? Maynard?

What’s Lynch’s track record as a forward, which he would have been doing for 90 percent of the match? Don’t answer that, it’s a rhetorical question. The answer is zero.

At least with the Madgen option we still have the flexibility to switch Roughead back if needed. Roughead is a proven ruckman and has been a competent forward in the past.
The only thing I can say is that people need to watch Lynch play, he is a below average ruckman in the VFL, hence why he is not getting a game and as a forward is shocking, Magden was definately the right call

The only thing I can say is that people need to watch Lynch play, he is a below average ruckman in the VFL, hence why he is not getting a game and as a forward is shocking, Magden was definately the right call

I’m sure he’d be passable at ruck but as I said he’d be spending 80 to 90 percent of his time in the forward line. It’s a craft he needs to develop if he wants to play seniors, because he’s not going to bump Grundy out of the number one ruck position

I’m sure he’d be passable at ruck but as I said he’d be spending 80 to 90 percent of his time in the forward line. It’s a craft he needs to develop if he wants to play seniors, because he’s not going to bump Grundy out of the number one ruck position
I think he might be high in the delist thinking at the end of the year, I'm not having a go just doesn't appear to be up to it and he has had 3 years to make an impact but still hasn't played a game, you don't want him up forward in the AFL as May would have 35 possessions on him

Not playing Wells is ridiculous.

It's now or never.

So the plan is for him to play VFL in Round 23 and then 1st final.

Needs more game time, i'd much prefer him to break down in one of the last 3 games of the season than in our first final which will most likely be an elimination final.

Not playing Wells is ridiculous.

It's now or never.

So the plan is for him to play VFL in Round 23 and then 1st final.

Needs more game time, i'd much prefer him to break down in one of the last 3 games of the season than in our first final which will most likely be an elimination final.
How do you know he is fit enough to get through a game without injury?

You might be one of the people Adam was talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back