It's time to talk about Lachie...(Deadly from the pockets, Sprays it from everywhere else edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hunter was under BF scrutiny before this year. This thread gave that scrutiny a permanent home and it was started in early June last year, but questions were being asked before then IIRC. I do think his output is slightly down this year (haven't checked the stats) but he's been very good at times.

Anyway, I agree with most of what you said. I continue to have mixed feelings about him. In some ways I'm reminded of another F/S player in Darren Baxter. He was a prolific ball getter but didn't really hurt the opposition that much. We controversially offloaded him to Hawthorn in 1993 while he had some value but his career tailed off and he only played two seasons with them. I can't remember the full context but I think it was partly about the trade value itself and partly to get a different, more damaging skillset into the midfield.

Now Hunter is much better than Baxter was and I'm not suggesting we trade him, but I can't help but wonder if he wasn't there would we have splashed out on an Isaac Smith or a Brad Hill before now?

CD112DAB-3DDA-484D-957D-83AD326E95A5.jpeg

I wasn’t alone with those thoughts by any stretch of the imagination either.

He temporarily raised my hopes in late 2016 but has done nothing short of drop trou and squeeze out a coil on them since.

Last edited:
Hunter was under BF scrutiny before this year. This thread gave that scrutiny a permanent home and it was started in early June last year, but questions were being asked before then IIRC. I do think his output is slightly down this year (haven't checked the stats) but he's been very good at times.

Anyway, I agree with most of what you said. I continue to have mixed feelings about him. In some ways I'm reminded of another F/S player in Darren Baxter. He was a prolific ball getter but didn't really hurt the opposition that much. We controversially offloaded him to Hawthorn in 1993 while he had some value but his career tailed off and he only played two seasons with them. I can't remember the full context but I think it was partly about the trade value itself and partly to get a different, more damaging skillset into the midfield.

Now Hunter is much better than Baxter was and I'm not suggesting we trade him, but I can't help but wonder if he wasn't there would we have splashed out on an Isaac Smith or a Brad Hill before now?
Your memory serves you correctly DW. Darren Baxter was indeed traded to allow a young Leon Cameron more of a midfield role. Leon duly went on to win the 1993 CSM.

I don’t need to check statistics to tell me that Hunter is the only player that constantly makes me scream at the TV.

My poor dog sleeping on the couch jumps out of his skin at least 3 times a quarter.

The Thirty Plus Possession Club (Nothing to do with this thread just a statistical dump):

Jackson Macrae: 137 Games, 61 times 30+, 44.53% (Amazing)
Lachie Hunter: 124 Games, 32 times 30+, 25.81%
Josh Dunkley: 62 Games, 11 times 30+, 17.74%
Caleb Daniel: 91 Games, 11 times 30+, 12.09%
Marcus Bontempelli: 123 Games, 13 times 30+, 10.57%
Tom Liberatore: 132 Games, 12 times 30+, 9.09%
Jason Johannisen: 122 Games, 7 times 30+, 5.74%
Toby McLean: 75 Games, 4 times 30+, 5.33%
Matthew Suckling: 167 Games, 8 times 30+, 4.79%
Patrick Lipinski: 28 Games, 1 time 30+, 3.57%
Liam Picken: 198 Games, 6 times 30+, 3.03%
Mitch Wallis: 133 Games, 3 times 30+, 2.26%
Hayden Crozier: 104 Games, 1 time 30+, 0.96%
Taylor Duryea: 128 Games, 1 time 30+, 0.78%

The Thirty Plus Possession Club (Nothing to do with this thread just a statistical dump):

Is there any chance you could dig up the highlighted players kicking efficiency into forward 50 ?

Is there any chance you could dig up the highlighted players kicking efficiency into forward 50 ?
It's too complex with the way teams score these days mostly from turnovers, plus there is the case
where a team defends the opposition and allows them wide targets as well as teams bringing in
the ball safely around the boundary to avoid turnovers. 6-6-6 gives us the occasional clearance to
leading forward moment, but it is only occasionally these days.

When you think about it he’s not the exact prototype of an ‘outside mid’;
Quick - nope
Penetrating kick - nope
Kicks on both sides - nope
Can kick a goal on the run - nope
Regularly hits the chest of leading forwards - nope
Runs both ways - yep
Can win his own ball when needed - maybe

Brownlow Medal Winners (Recent Times)

Patrick Dangerfield: 242 Games, 61 times 30+, 25.21%
Tom Mitchell: 111 Games, 54 times 30+, 48.65%
Dustin Martin: 219 Games, 60 times 30+, 27.40%
Nat Fyfe: 170 Games, 49 times 30+, 28.82%
Gary Ablett Jnr: 339 Games, 126 times 30+, 37.17%

It is interesting GAJ did not make 30+ in his first five seasons, then went nuts.

Again nothing to do with this thread so apologies, but it is interesting.

A lot of you won't like this but the noise I've heard from members of the playing group is that Bevo is pushing for Hunter to take the Captaincy.

Please no .... please tell me you’re just taking the P1S5.

Hunter must be showing leadership by the way he speaks because he certainly doesn’t show it by the way he plays.

I reserve the right to get on and off the lachiewagon as and when I see fit. He was very good doing what he does tonight particularly in the first half. kudus to him and another uppercut to me.

A shall return to this thread with my brickbats or bouquets next week.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still felt like he stuffed up his usual poor choices and kicks last night early, but good game overall. I’d still trade him while he’s got currency. We’ve got 10 guys like him

ummm who?

Criminally underrated player. Covers an insane amount of ground providing a link up option, and helping out in defence. Has played, I think, the most minutes of any midfielder in the competition this year too, which is invaluable for a younger team.

People get too caught up on his deficiencies. He's not the more direct kick, but if he was he'd probably be the best wingman in the league. His perceived lack of toughness is way overemphasised too. He's no Mitch Hahn, but he's not that bad.

Kicked long on Saturday. Looked powerful and dangerous. Definitely kick long more, Lachy. Great game.
I noticed that too which was a big change from how he had recently been playing.
Someone must have had a word to him during the week because against Brisbane his dinky little sideways kicks cost us several times.

Most metres gained on the ground on Saturday night. I hope it was a coaching directive because we look a lot more dangerous when we are moving the ball long and quick to our isolated forwards.

Hope it’s a reminder how valuable he is.
Like I said last week , he has deficiencies but I want him in my side.

Some people rate courage as going back with the flight of the ball into unknown territory not knowing if you are going to get hurt.

Personally, I rate courage as someone who is willing to commit and run their a@se off all day for the benefit of the team knowing it’s going to hurt.

Lachie is a jet and this thread is ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back