Opinion Who are the League's most UNDERRATED Players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Most under rated players are defenders. I think it’s mainly because the media don’t froth over them.

Marley Williams fits here, beats his man nearly every week, his disposal is generally good but he does make the odd mistake, which stops him being considered a truly elite small defender, but as a defender is great.

Joel Hamling's having a great year. Brayden Fiorini too, one of my picks for a future top 10 mid.

Won me a few dreamteam games this year. Kid is a gun.

No salt whatsoever. As you said, credit to him for going the distance. Just making clear that there's a particular circumstance that partially allows for those high hitout totals to happen.

Good to clarify, take my sass with a grain of salt it’s just my posting style.

I think a few ruckman outside of Gawn/Grundy/ROB/Marshall are pretty underrated at the moment. Witts, McEvoy and Goldstein are having very good seasons and in any other year without Grundy / Gawn those 3 would have a strong case for AA, particularly Goldstein.

What do oppo fans think of Mihocek? To me seems like a productive diamond in the rough medium/tall FWD given we essentially picked up for nothing from Port Melbourne. Am I biased in my rating of him?

Bargain and a very, very capable footballer. I think he fits the definition of underrated but I wouldn’t consider him an elite forward by any means.

Small/medium defenders tend to stand out for me in these conversations. I acknowledge defending is the easiest part of footy (besides rucking) but considering the long-term consistency of some of these guys, the fact no one talks about them is absurd. Nick Smith always came to mind but he may never come back. Right now I'd say Nick Haynes and Brad Sheppard are the standouts.

Small/medium defenders tend to stand out for me in these conversations. I acknowledge defending is the easiest part of footy (besides rucking) but considering the long-term consistency of some of these guys, the fact no one talks about them is absurd. Nick Smith always came to mind but he may never come back. Right now I'd say Nick Haynes and Brad Sheppard are the standouts.
This is the underrated thread, you're not suppose to be looking for standouts. You literally just named 3 of the top defenders in the league.

Mark Hutchings

I can't believe there is debate on the WCE board as to whether he's best 22 or not :$

Ask Steele Sidebottom what he thinks :)
Nah not so much. Good tagger but nothing else. Even as a tagger he's only come on in the last 12 months.

He's good on the outside type's like Sidey or a back flanker like JJ. Gets found out against the inside beasts tho.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Basher Houli is quite underrated. Everyone acknowledges that he is a good player, but he really could be AA this year.

I know it is not a stats game, and I really rate WC's Brad Sheppard, and worthy of AA conversation, but if you look at the number.

Disposals - Houli - 28.3 (midfielder numbers) Sheppard 19.9
Rebound 50 - Houli - 78 Sheppard 91
Inside 50 - Houli - 47 Sheppard 21

Not only is Houli getting 30% more of the football, but has more than double the inside 50's (not as many rebounds as Sheppard, means Houli is probably playing a little more attacking and getting more ball up the ground).

Both are having career best seasons.

Reckon Basher Houli is quite underrated. Everyone acknowledges that he is a good player, but he really could be AA this year.

I know it is not a stats game, and I really rate WC's Brad Sheppard, and worthy of AA conversation, but if you look at the number.

Not only is Houli getting 30% more of the football, but has more than double the inside 50's (not as many rebounds as Sheppard, means Houli is probably playing a little more attacking and getting more ball up the ground).

He's only really getting noticed this year

Don't be so bloody defensive. Most of you Carlton supporters are living in a fantasy land and won't accept a perfectly reasonable position. Weren't you the one saying Bolton was a great coach? Don't be so bloody biased. Kane Cornes says Stack is a better player with more upside, it's a main board thread champ. Do you really think Walsh would be a starting mid at most clubs?

Kane Cornes

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Agree BUT has he peaked too early?
Peaking too early? What do you even mean has he peaked too early. He has hit elite level at 19, If hes this good now he will continue to get better

Give me a player that has peaked too early than a player you hang on to for four years than delist as he never peaks.

🤦‍♂️

AA where? Backline? The stats you have just quoted prove he is playing more up the field than backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Back