Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I don't think that supporters should be instrumental in selecting the coach but I do think their opinions should be taken into some degree of consideration. We live in different times now where supporter opinion is much more readily available to the club in making important decisions and, probably, should have more weight than the media.

Whether you like player power or not, it also shouldn't be dismissed outright. Player power put Roos into the Swans job which resulted in their first flag in eons and I'd propose that subsequent player buy in had no small part to play.
Its nothing new. I went to Festival Hall to vote way back on that hot summer night.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague is looking great right now no question, but just playing devils advocate here -

If for whatever reason another is favoured over Teague, what may those reasons be?
(Let's take Clarkson out of he equation, because the answer there would be obvious.)

We look at things from a supporters perspective, but how would you be seeing things if you were....let's say Judd?
e.g. If one didn't rate someone beforehand are a few weeks of good football alone, enough to change your view 180 degrees?

I think it's pretty clear (at least to me?) why the Club was not initially considering Teague for the main job (and hey, we rated him enough to poach him from Adelaide).

They obviously wanted Clarkson, but beyond that, they wanted a sure thing. An experienced coach with runs on the board.
For 2 reasons, mainly because they want success and as a club we've put in so much work to get to this point. But secondly, the board would be unlikely to survive stuffing it up.

Even if he was clumsy in his messaging (training wheels), I think the reasoning behind needing a coach to be absolutely ready to go Day 1 is sound.
Partly due to luck (injuries), and partly due to poor fitness management (pre Russell) and coaching, we've wasted the last 2 years (except for the Teague turn-around), and the Club can't afford to waste any more time. Things might start to derail.

So it's not that it was flawed thinking that we weren't initially considering Teague, and that he's now likely going to get the job.
Firstly, he will have had half a season head start, so he will hit Day 1 running. But he ticks so many other boxes, some which probably couldn't have been apparent without him being in the main chair for those first 4-8 games. The players love him. He's been tactically very sound (Jack onto Fyfe!). To be able to have such dramatic and sustained turn around from Round 11.

As for a reason to favour another over Teague, it could only be having experience sitting in the main chair, and dealing with the pressure of having the main job. But I don't see this happening. I figure if the reported is true, that we want to interview Brad Scott, it would be just to tick all the boxes. It's not so much the fans demanding Teague, as the almost impossible of selling us someone else.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Some say he hasn't made a lot of changes other than Murphy and Curnow playing positions that better suit their skill sets and if that's all he has done then it was significant. But I think he has done a lot more than that, kids who were struggling are now playing different roles and seem to me to be starting to believe in themselves and the team and have improved, in some cases, significantly.
His match day coaching has proven to be more dynamic, he changes things that are not working and, it seems, all players are well aware of what is required of them.

I think everyone knows he's done a lot more than just shift Ed and Murphy into the guts.

As for a reason to favour another over Teague, it could only be having experience sitting in the main chair, and dealing with the pressure of having the main job. But I don't see this happening. I figure if the reported is true, that we want to interview Brad Scott, it would be just to tick all the boxes. It's not so much the fans demanding Teague, as the almost impossible of selling us someone else.

Good stuff Stamos

It would be hard selling supporters another coach barring Clarkson, but should that stop the CFC announcing who they deem to be the best fit for us?
It's easy appointing Teague now because it makes for a popular vote, an easy sell and takes heat off the panel members.

Anyway, Teague may well get the job, but I wouldn't be banking on it just yet.

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Clarkson was a fit for us as a basket case with 4 seasons of abject failure on the field.
A demigod that could hopefully take a bull by the horns and steer it towards the right path.
Even Scott and others appeared a possible experienced answer.
The stance the club took was a reflection of that point in time.
They no more than us supporters had a clue how that would change so fast.
Now the best fit is the very person that refloated the titanic.
And I would suggest Teague is only going to get better and better as the list gets stronger.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
BB is in rare air, but just have a look at how good their list management strategy has been

Brady is huge for them, but you have to tip your hat.

They cycle through WR/RB constantly, turn them into gold, ship them off for more draft picks and replace them with another player that performs to the same level.
(I will say their list management is second to none, turning high draft picks into multiple second/third/fourth round picks. I have a little feeling of SOS on this one, turning our first pick into Stocker and ?. You certainly have to back your recruitment process if you head down this path)

It is certainly a case of an amazing coaching team.

I know you downgrade the role of a coach, but I personally think you're wrong on this front. The hard part with modern day football is the fact there is so much support staff, so placing all the credit on one aspect is tough.

You stated Carlton were going to improve in the second half of the season, but I really doubt that BB would have managed to get the same outcomes as Teague.
The support staff, management and many other aspects stayed the same, the only real difference was the coach.

Can I prove that BB would not have got the same results, NO.

I would also hazard a guess that if you placed me coaching the same players, I would get terrible results, because I don't have the skill set to coach.
BB certainly looked like he lacked game day ability and part of me thinks that he also lacked ability during the week.
I remember Teague making a point about Levi being coached to drop into the defensive 50 if in the last two minutes if the game was on the line. He was impressed that Levi when put in that situation, followed his coaching without needing a runner to tell him.

The best teams are coached and trained on how to deal with situations before they eventuate.
(Getting early season GCS flashbacks)

Carlton under Teague have been down a heap during the first quarter and managed to turn it around. We have managed to find ways to turn around opposition scoring runs.

The stark contrast between Carlton under BB and Teague makes it hard to argue the lack of influence a senior coach has on a playing group.

This is honestly all subjective and the percentage influence a senior coach has is always questionable, but it is still there.
I still think you need to sort out the upper management first, recruitment/development and coaching is probably next in line.

JohnnyFontane90

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't want a coach that doesn't allow his players to wear long sleeves. Clarkson isn't letting his players wear them in freezing conditions in Canberra tonight. What a stupid rule. Some of our best players have worn long sleeves.
That's the most uncarlton thing i've ever heard. That's a deal breaker

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
I don't want a coach that doesn't allow his players to wear long sleeves. Clarkson isn't letting his players wear them in freezing conditions in Canberra tonight. What a stupid rule. Some of our best players have worn long sleeves.

show_image.php

This is honestly all subjective and the percentage influence a senior coach has is always questionable, but it is still there.
I still think you need to sort out the upper management first, recruitment/development and coaching is probably next in line.

It is subjective but the individual otherwise known as the coach has many sides to them, in our current environment.

The coach has to -

1. Structure game-plans and training regimes.
2. Has to be tactically adept on game day.
3. Has to be a good man-manager with the playing group. It doesn't matter how you do it, but a coach that gets the best out of their players is way in front.
4. The coach also has to manage a large group of assistants under him.
5. The coach has to train up and become media savvy
6. The coach then also has to know how to deal with the executive.

There are a lot of facets of coaching one has to be on top of and get it wrong in any one area and no list management alone will fix things when they go south.

Mar 13, 2008
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
It is subjective but the individual otherwise known as the coach has many sides to them, in our current environment.

The coach has to -

1. Structure game-plans and training regimes.
2. Has to be tactically adept on game day.
3. Has to be a good man-manager with the playing group. It doesn't matter how you do it, but a coach that gets the best out of their players is way in front.
4. The coach also has to manage a large group of assistants under him.
5. The coach has to train up and become media savvy
6. The coach then also has to know how to deal with the executive.

There are a lot of facets of coaching one has to be on top of and get it wrong in any one area and no list management alone will fix things when they go south.

1. Assistant coaches probably take a huge responsibility on many aspects of implementing the game plan and training.
2. I agree
3. 100%
4. 100%
5. Yes, but I care little for this aspect. Wosha used to be terrible in my eyes, but he still won games.
6. Not sure how important this aspect is to be honest.

I think points 3 and 4 are becoming the most important aspects of coaching.

1. Assistant coaches probably take a huge responsibility on many aspects of implementing the game plan and training.
2. I agree
3. 100%
4. 100%
5. Yes, but I care little for this aspect. Wosha used to be terrible in my eyes, but he still won games.
6. Not sure how important this aspect is to be honest.

I think points 3 and 4 are becoming the most important aspects of coaching.

I think it's very important to not be swayed by what may come direct from the board, or channeled down through the CEO.

The coach has to be his/her own person. Take on advice if it fits....welcome the advice if it comes by way of a proper medium....but at the end of the day you have to do things your way, even if it is to your ultimate detriment. i.e. It's too hard trying to be someone you're not.

I know it brought about Boltons demise this time, but in general you have to adapt things to the means you can deal with as otherwise, you're screwed anyway.

we just don't like to train in the rain........

Opine

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Still haven't forgiven him for the game against the Hawks when Fev was stranded on 99.
Wouldn't mind it at all if, one day, Teague coach's Blues to stop a Jack Riewoldt, Lynch etc from reaching a ton, leaving them stranded on 99; I'd love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back