Prediction 2019 "Hypothetical Trade, FA, random player you wish we could get" thread..

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn landing?

• Patton

Votes: 164 71.0%
  • Finn Maginness

Votes: 198 85.7%
  • Greenwood

Votes: 48 20.8%
  • Frost

Votes: 111 48.1%
  • Bonar

Votes: 66 28.6%
  • Pepper

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Cox

Votes: 36 15.6%
  • Petracca

Votes: 77 33.3%
  • Elliot

Votes: 68 29.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I did some work with Hugh prior to his draft and he is a good kid, Hawks fan as well!
He’s got potential but I doubt we would be giving up much for him. He’s a tall lad and moves really well... good agility and good at ground level for his size.
Can he play KPD?

fu** me that would be a terrible deal, Gunston for a slight pick upgrade given we'll likely end up with pick 5 or 6.

1. I'm a big no-no on trading Gunston. He will come good.

2. In a hypothetical world if we get something coming back that facilitates other trades it might not be so bad

e.g. Pick 6 + Gunston --> (Melbourne) Pick 2 + Pick 20 or to GC (if they get compensation) for Picks 2 + Pick 17 (linked to Brisbane)

Gunston is going nowhere!
He’s one of maybe 5 or 6 of guys on our list who would have real currency on the market. He’s had a down year by his standards so he automatically gets flagged as a potential trade 🤯

Last edited:
Pick 2 on its own would be interesting, could we 'Trent Croad' Gunston? Get him back in 2 years as a free agent. (Think the rules have been changed to where a player becomes a free agent for life if they have been in the system for 8-9 years)

B.hill to the saints is gathering momentum.

under no circumstances should Gunston or Breust be traded.
Would be so amazing if Ross Lyon then got the St Kilda Coaching gig.

Then they could share a whole bag of d***s!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People keep talking up Gunston-to-Dogs rumours lately (potentially making way for multiple Hawks trade ins, don't believe it but whatever) but had this thought for a hypothetical 3-way trade

Pick 9 + Pick 41 + Pick 43
<-->
Gunston + Pick 25

This gives the Hawks extra draft points to help match Maginness (assuming 25 is swallowed by a bid, it's basically just upgrading it's worth in points) while also leaving them two firsts to play with. This could mean they can trade with Melbourne:

Pick 7 + Pick 9 + Pick 41 <--> Pick 2 + Pick 20

This means Melbourne gets currency to trade for Brad Hill (if that happens) plus still remain in the top 10 of the draft. Hawks get to bring in Cogs + whoever else, draft Anderson while having more than enough points to match an early bird on Maginness. This ultimately values Gunston at Pick ~8

B.hill to the saints is gathering momentum.

under no circumstances should Gunston or Breust be traded.

Exactly!

Who are Coniglio and Mitchell going to be kicking it to next year?! Trading them out would be a disaster. It pretty much defeats the whole purpose of getting Patton and Coniglio.

Gunston and Breust are having similar seasons to 2017 when the lack of quality ball movement was evident back then. In 2018 they rebounded strongly.

There’s every chance they do it again next year with much better players around them.

People keep talking up Gunston-to-Dogs rumours lately (potentially making way for multiple Hawks trade ins, don't believe it but whatever) but had this thought for a hypothetical 3-way trade

Pick 9 + Pick 41 + Pick 43
<-->
Gunston + Pick 25

This gives the Hawks extra draft points to help match Maginness (assuming 25 is swallowed by a bid, it's basically just upgrading it's worth in points) while also leaving them two firsts to play with. This could mean they can trade with Melbourne:

Pick 7 + Pick 9 + Pick 41 <--> Pick 2 + Pick 20

This means Melbourne gets currency to trade for Brad Hill (if that happens) plus still remain in the top 10 of the draft. Hawks get to bring in Cogs + whoever else, draft Anderson while having more than enough points to match an early bird on Maginness. This ultimately values Gunston at Pick ~8

I actually appreciate the thought that's gone in to this trade, but that's a flat no from me.

Personally there is just no way that I'm trading Gunston for the equivalent of pick #8. Especially if we are landing Coniglio and Patton.

Last edited:
I actuallyappreciate the thought that's gone in to this trade, but that's a flat no from me.

Personally there is just no way that I'm trading Gunston for the equivalent of pick #8. Especially if we are landing Coniglio and Patton.
Yeah that's fair. I doubt Hawks would want to entertain a trade like that unless their hand was forced. Bringing in a free agent usually indicates one of two things:
A) desperation to get off the bottom of the ladder
B) ensuring your premiership window is open for the next few years (this is the relevant one)

Obviously picking up Cogs could hurt things a bit if it meant losing Gunston, unless Patton came in, fixed himself up and played round 1.

Was more a thought on what a potential trade would look like IF Gunston was to leave, which is obviously a pretty enormous IF

Yeah that's fair. I doubt Hawks would want to entertain a trade like that unless their hand was forced. Bringing in a free agent usually indicates one of two things:
A) desperation to get off the bottom of the ladder
B) ensuring your premiership window is open for the next few years (this is the relevant one)

Obviously picking up Cogs could hurt things a bit if it meant losing Gunston, unless Patton came in, fixed himself up and played round 1.

Was more a thought on what a potential trade would look like IF Gunston was to leave, which is obviously a pretty enormous IF

IF he wanted to leave I would personally expect more than the deal offered in your scenario.

He's having a down season, but he's been dealing with multiple injuries unfortunately. And I imagine the fact we are playing relatively poorly too is a factor.

As for the trade itself, I would at the least not expect the #25 to go back with Gunston.

IF he wanted to leave I would personally expect more than the deal offered in your scenario.

He's having a down season, but he's been dealing with multiple injuries unfortunately. And I imagine the fact we are playing relatively poorly too is a factor.

As for the trade itself, I would at the least not expect the #25 to go back with Gunston.
Could definitely see something closer to Pick 9 + Pick 43 for Gunston (values him closer to pick 5) if it came down to it. Dogs are desperate for quality talls at both ends, and it could definitely work in the Hawks' favour trading with a club like us (if it came up) since we'd be willing to overpay where necessary to improve our chances of competing in finals next year

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but the captain of the All Australian U18 team is a nephew of Darren Glass. Considered a top 20 pick prior to injuring his shoulder. You'd think Darren would be in Clarko's ear about the kid.

No need to be in his ear. We're well aware of him.

Could definitely see something closer to Pick 9 + Pick 43 for Gunston (values him closer to pick 5) if it came down to it. Dogs are desperate for quality talls at both ends, and it could definitely work in the Hawks' favour trading with a club like us (if it came up) since we'd be willing to overpay where necessary to improve our chances of competing in finals next year

For what it’s worth mate it’s nice to have opposition supporters actually propose thoughtful hypotheticals and then not immediately get defensive at criticism. Wish we had a few more like you

For what it’s worth mate it’s nice to have opposition supporters actually propose thoughtful hypotheticals and then not immediately get defensive at criticism. Wish we had a few more like you
Yeah I try to be fully aware of my own bias. Everyone who suggests a hypothetical will generally make ones that favour their own side, even if unintentionally. I'm fine to admit if a Gunston trade would cost more than I might think. Just glad that people have been civil rather than having the type of idiots who get immediately abusive at the very thought of an opposition supporter posting on their clubs board

Gunston, Mitchell and Sicily probably our most valued players. You won’t see any of them being traded even for pick 1.

Don’t believe the echo chamber that reverberates the names ‘Breust’ and ‘Gunston’ every single year because they need clicks. They are less likely to leave now than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back