Our next coach

Who should be our next coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB is in rare air, but just have a look at how good their list management strategy has been

Bill Belichick teams often have less talent than the other team (when it comes to the playoffs).

Kansas City this past season had a better team on pure on-field talent, but BB out-coached Andy Reid (again).

BB is big on smart players, teaching situational awareness and being relatively good in all three phases (offence, defence and special teams).

Coaching matters (a lot).
But I agree list management is equally important.

David Teague has shown me much, he adapts within game something I bemoaned about Bolts. Our game-day coaching means we are no longer a predictable / easy team to play.

Re: Teague-

Can we not do something like a 1 year performance based contract with a trigger for +2 years if he gets X (11?) number of wins?

We lock him in for 3 years, with years 2 and 3 conditional on 11 or more wins in year 1.

No, you have to show more faith in your appointment, at least a 2 year deal.
But as a first time coach, the base would be low, bonuses for things like finals and flags.

Re: Teague-

Can we not do something like a 1 year performance based contract with a trigger for +2 years if he gets X (11?) number of wins?

We lock him in for 3 years, with years 2 and 3 conditional on 11 or more wins in year 1.

I see no issue with that, but then again maybe the "look" to the players and outside it would lose the concept.

Bill Belichick teams often have less talent than the other team (when it comes to the playoffs).

Kansas City this past season had a better team on pure on-field talent, but BB out-coached Andy Reid (again).

BB is big on smart players, teaching situational awareness and being relatively good in all three phases (offence, defence and special teams).

David Teague has shown me much, he adapts within game something I bemoaned about Bolts. Our game-day coaching means we are no longer a predictable / easy team to play.

The NFL is one of the most coach and tactical driven sports out there, especially with the drawing up of plays during time outs.

In The AFL, coaches have less luxury to draw up plays during games, although they are getting smarter at it now with those coloured boards shown up on the bench indicating how much time there is left in the quarter.

Still need the right game plan and suitable players to be in synch, and it seems we have the right mix in Teague and our list (Plus with a few adjustments here and there)

You would have to assume that if we beat Richmond or Geelong, it will be a no brainer to appoint him on the following Monday, as it stands now, he has to be overwhelming favourite, but a lot can play out in the next 3 week's

Brady is huge for them, but you have to tip your hat.

They cycle through WR/RB constantly, turn them into gold, ship them off for more draft picks and replace them with another player that performs to the same level.
(I will say their list management is second to none, turning high draft picks into multiple second/third/fourth round picks. I have a little feeling of SOS on this one, turning our first pick into Stocker and ?. You certainly have to back your recruitment process if you head down this path)

It is certainly a case of an amazing coaching team.

I know you downgrade the role of a coach, but I personally think you're wrong on this front. The hard part with modern day football is the fact there is so much support staff, so placing all the credit on one aspect is tough.

You stated Carlton were going to improve in the second half of the season, but I really doubt that BB would have managed to get the same outcomes as Teague.
The support staff, management and many other aspects stayed the same, the only real difference was the coach.

Can I prove that BB would not have got the same results, NO.

I would also hazard a guess that if you placed me coaching the same players, I would get terrible results, because I don't have the skill set to coach.
BB certainly looked like he lacked game day ability and part of me thinks that he also lacked ability during the week.
I remember Teague making a point about Levi being coached to drop into the defensive 50 if in the last two minutes if the game was on the line. He was impressed that Levi when put in that situation, followed his coaching without needing a runner to tell him.

The best teams are coached and trained on how to deal with situations before they eventuate.
(Getting early season GCS flashbacks)

Carlton under Teague have been down a heap during the first quarter and managed to turn it around. We have managed to find ways to turn around opposition scoring runs.

The stark contrast between Carlton under BB and Teague makes it hard to argue the lack of influence a senior coach has on a playing group.

This is honestly all subjective and the percentage influence a senior coach has is always questionable, but it is still there.
I still think you need to sort out the upper management first, recruitment/development and coaching is probably next in line.

You make for some valid points

I see the level of importance this way

Recruiting/list management

Fitness/high performance

Development

Coach/es

Coaches fall into 2 groups for me, defensively minded, or attacking and all coaches struggle with achieving balance.

More importantly, the group was yearning to be released, Bolton failed to read the signs

I think Teague is a very good tactician and the next 3 weeks will give us some real insight of how good he is tactically

BB is similar to Sheedy, heavily involved in list management due to the skillset and innovative as a coach

They are rare in any sporting code

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You make for some valid points

I see the level of importance this way

Recruiting/list management

Fitness/high performance

Development

Coach/es

Coaches fall into 2 groups for me, defensively minded, or attacking and all coaches struggle with achieving balance.

More importantly, the group was yearning to be released, Bolton failed to read the signs

I think Teague is a very good tactician and the next 3 weeks will give us some real insight of how good he is tactically

Teague has openly stated multiple times that he loves the strategy and tactical side of the game. This has already been visible since he has taken over as he makes changes during a game. I love this and really hope Teague gets the opporutnity to take us to our next flag.

BB is similar to Sheedy, heavily involved in list management due to the skillset and innovative as a coach

They are rare in any sporting code

Sheedy is an arsehole, hope BB has better player/personal relationship skills. I remember hearing Glenn Manton's 1 hour interview with Pete Dongahan on SEN last year, he has no time for Sheedy after how shabbily he treated him at Essendon.

I would love to think Teague as a coach is a mix of David Parkin and Yabby Jeans, a teaching/mentor style coach who also makes his players better human beings.

I don't think Bill Belichick has ever lost the plot like Sheeds has several times either btw

b6511b9f1fb6f25d72387878fe40cfca

I work in a hotel in the north western suburbs and as I have previously written on here Lance Whitnall co es in. He was in today and I asked him about who would be coaching our club.

He said he was hearing Voss with Roos as Mentor.

Funny story in that I walked up very sheepishly to Mike Fitzpatrick, showed him my avatar, and explained like a groupie that he was my hero as a kid. He was so nice, had a laugh and said "oh, that photo looks like 1975". After the tough exterior Mike's a very nice bloke.
I still have my Mike Fitzpatrick scrap book. I saw him after the game last week and couldn't believe how excited I was just to see him amongst the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back