Is the relationship between CD, AFL and Clubs keeping the game behind

Remove this Banner Ad

$$$$$$$

CD can’t charge the AFL, clubs, media etc the money needed to do the stat collecting / analytics and subsequently run their business profitably if every Joe Bloggs has access to the same level of statistics.

Dumb question, dumb thread

same reason oztam wont let me publish trends, tables and graphs of freely available data. Apparently it was costing them business.

Unless you're a professional gambler or take your fantasy footy very seriously, you have no need for advanced stats.

Because advanced stats are interesting and give you an even better understanding of a game.

Exactly, watching the game gives you a good indication of how the play is set up in the immediate vicinity, but it doesn't tell you anything about important stuff that is happening in the setup and the structure and all that s**t way off the ball.

It's a real pain that CD is private. Surely it's not inconceivable for the AFL to pay CD a little bit more and make all the stats public or something, I dunno.

The average person has no idea how to interpret basic statistics, let alone these "hidden" advanced stats.
Why are you and others acting like you need to be a genius to interpret an advanced stat?

Advanced stats don’t necessarily have to be complicated. It could be something as simple as who wins the most one on ones.

Why are you and others acting like you need to be a genius to interpret an advanced stat?

Advanced stats don’t necessarily have to be complicated. It could be something as simple as who wins the most one on ones.
It doesnt take a genius to understand a stat. Player A wins 6 one on ones, player B wins 7. 7 is bigger than 6. But understanding it, where on the ground, what the role is, who the opponent is, what the players instructions are? Most of these stats on BF, would be used to amplify the already amped dick pulling contests.

The more I think about it, the sicker I feel.

It doesnt take a genius to understand a stat. Player A wins 6 one on ones, player B wins 7. 7 is bigger than 6. But understanding it, where on the ground, what the role is, who the opponent is, what the players instructions are? Most of these stats on BF, would be used to amplify the already amped dick pulling contests.

The more I think about it, the sicker I feel.
Well I strongly believe they’d be a good thing.

I get sick of seeing arguments about how well a player uses the footy by foot with disposal efficiency as their basis.

Australia is a backwater in so many ways. This is a classic example.

The strongest football league in the comp and the viewers don't have access to advanced stats.

Worse, they don't even seem to care. They just want the players to 'kick it!, 'kick it!'

Yeah that's cool, but are you willing to pay?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been banging on about this for years tbh.

How do we even know Champion's data is accurate? we don't.

Ablett laid 19 tackles once. 4 or 5 of them he was 2nd tackler in. 1 of them the ball was already over the boundary line. So 2 or 3 guys click a button at the same time and suddenly its counted for all time.

There is a huge amount of stats. What Id love to know is what stats do coaches pick as the ones which matter.

In the old days it was:
If we have it, get it forward and kick a goal
If they have it, stop them, get it, get it forward and kick a goal
If its in dispute, get it, get it forward and kick a goal

Has much really changed ?

How do we rate someone like Brad Hill who does half his damage without the ball by running massive, lightning fast patterns which completely disrupt team defences ?

He can get the ball in the forward pocket but 20 seconds before he had an opponent on the opposite half back flank and ran him in circles then blitzed away and got behind the forward aggressive defence.

Something you sinply dont see on TV and have to be lookong for in person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back