What is the problem with Kaiden Brand?

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think he should be played up forward, paired with Lewis they could prove to be quite a handful for opposition defenses.

What harm could it do trying?
You’d try him at FF at BHH first & see how he moves & how he brings others into the game.

I’ve been on it for 18 months now, that he should be playing FF, but I’ve a feeling that he doesn’t have the brain for it & that this is the reason that we’ve not done it.

Then again, the idea of playing Popeye at FF & bombing it on his head in 1-on-2’s all day can’t have used a lot of brain power, so there’s still hope!

You’d try him at FF at BHH first & see how he moves & how he brings others into the game.

I’ve been on it for 18 months now, that he should be playing FF, but I’ve a feeling that he doesn’t have the brain for it & that this is the reason that we’ve not done it.

Then again, the idea of playing Popeye at FF & bombing it on his head in 1-on-2’s all day can’t have used a lot of brain power, so there’s still hope!

Obviously agree with a few games at BHH to see if he's still got it and if he works well within our structure there.

I think it was just a case of him being drafted to the wrong club at the wrong time, we picked him up not only during a dominant period but also one where we were flush for KPP's as well.

From watching his highlights when he was drafted he did appear to have quite a bit for us to work with but it just never happened.

I'd still be tempted to give him one last roll of the dice and slap him at FF as opposed to us bombing into the F50 on top of Puopolo and hoping for the best.

He's 200cm, athletic/mobile and has a fair bit of campaigner about him.

Something that we definitely lack and could use in our forward line.

If he's not given a fair crack at it this season the surely he's out the door, at the very minimum we should be trying to see if we can drive up his trade value if at all possible.

I would much prefer however to see him be given the same opportunity as TOB has in the past, instead of the random game here and there.

I guess only time will tell but I'm not losing hope here 😁

Last edited:
Named at full forward for Box Hill. I wonder if this is a last ditch bid to save his career and earn a new contract extension? Who knows.

If he plays well this might be a new role for him down the track. Let’s face it he was stagnating and wasn’t going anywhere as a defender.

Named at full forward for Box Hill. I wonder if this is a last ditch bid to save his career and earn a new contract extension? Who knows.

If he plays well this might be a new role for him down the track. Let’s face it he was stagnating and wasn’t going anywhere as a defender.
Played FF& kicked 2x goals last week, didn't he?

I think some were saying (last week) that his contract expires in 2020, but can't confirm.

I honestly don't know why he wouldn't be given a go up forward. Good set of hands, we need another key forward, this also allows us to chuck either him or TOB down back if they aren't doing much up forward or vice versa.

I honestly don't know why he wouldn't be given a go up forward. Good set of hands, we need another key forward, this also allows us to chuck either him or TOB down back if they aren't doing much up forward or vice versa.
I think you have TOB always in the backline with an option to switch down back. I'd like to see Brand forward with the potential to be switched down back. When they start at the opposite ends it never ends well...

The punters on here saying to try Brand up forward listen to this carefully.
Was at Arden St last Saturday he had a chance to win us the game from 20m out slightest of angles & misses!
He's not an AFL standard player- pure & simple!!

Was at Arden St last Saturday he had a chance to win us the game from 20m out slightest of angles & misses!

4 scoring shots for a player who has never played up forward at either level is not a bad output. We’ll have a better gauge if Brand can make the switch playing as a key forward over the next three weeks.

You have obviously not watched our last half a dozen games. Scary stuff.

4 scoring shots for a player who has never played up forward at either level is not a bad output. We’ll have a better gauge if Brand can make the switch playing as a key forward over the next three weeks.
He was recruited as a forward, so no excuses there.
BTW the 2 goals he kicked I'm fairly sure they were both Joe the gooses over the top running into a open goal!

yes mate unfortunately l have, but we have to field a side some how.
Feel sorry for Brand. Was looking like breaking into the side and popped a shoulder. Recruited as a forward and played back all his career. I am never going to be one who second guesses Clarko and crew but I would love to see him get an extended run playing forward.

I was gutted when I heard he missed that shot. If he had nailed it it may have given the shot of confidence he needed going forward. Bad miss on a number of fronts. Hope he can bounce back this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brand is a dumb footballer. Makes dumb mistakes.
Plenty of dumb people have been great players, but they weren't dumb players.

Rocks for brains with some of his deliberate decisions

The problem with Brand is that he's not very good. I would keep him on the list purely as depth given tall defenders are not our strength. But he's not someone i'd feel confident seeing line-up in a final.

I'm not one to write off players, but Brand just isn't a good footballer no matter how much we wish him to be. He makes dumb mistakes, he literally cannot handball to save himself and he's not particularly strong at any particular skill that AFL requires. On top of that, he handles our defensive structures really really poorly and often gets himself caught out.

He was picked at the end of a draft in 2012 and has shown very little in that time. People holding out hope for him as a forward need to remember that he was not picked up for his exploits as a forward where he was nothing special, he was picked up for his traits Hawthorn thought would make a good defender.

Thanks for the service, has been a long time member of the team to this point, but he has been surpassed.

I'm not one to write off players, but Brand just isn't a good footballer no matter how much we wish him to be. He makes dumb mistakes, he literally cannot handball to save himself and he's not particularly strong at any particular skill that AFL requires. On top of that, he handles our defensive structures really really poorly and often gets himself caught out.

He was picked at the end of a draft in 2012 and has shown very little in that time. People holding out hope for him as a forward need to remember that he was not picked up for his exploits as a forward where he was nothing special, he was picked up for his traits Hawthorn thought would make a good defender.

Thanks for the service, has been a long time member of the team to this point, but he has been surpassed.

Cheap depth for mine. With Rough calling time, Kosi still developing, Nash preferred up forward and question marks over whether Schoey, Mirra and Mohr will be given contracts, I would keep him for another year.

Saw him and Webster struggling to manage the self checkout at Woolies. It was from that day I knew neither of them would make it.
Just saw this.

I'm ******* laughing hard :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

If you can’t handle the footy when it’s below your knees then it doesn’t matter what end of the ground you play
This is his biggest issue, and a large part of it is above the shoulders because he panics when in that situation which exacerbates his problems with ground balls.

When he's comfortable and confident and playing to his strengths he's a decent option, his biggest issue has always been what happens when he's out of his comfort zone and panics

Remove this Banner Ad

Back