FTA-TV Open Mike

Remove this Banner Ad

Was funny towards the end when Mike asked him if he would attend a swans event these days if he was invited and he said he wouldn’t want to leave his kids lol. ..His adult kids
that was one of the weirdest things ever. wtf?

One of the blandest shows of all times I thought.

He obviously has an axe to grind with Sydney and Mike couldn't get it out of him.
I thought it was brilliant if only that I needed to keep watching to see how much more bitter he could sound.
I don't think he came across very well at all.
Not wanting to go away for a weekend because you don't want to leave your adult kids (Lara is 24, Josh 23 and Kyle 19) is just super weird.

Last edited:
Finished watching the Dunkley one... Never have I seen one as confusing as that!

From claiming he didn't hit Hird to basically admitting when Mike showed footage and pressed him again
Saying he had a huge mortgage on his house and wasn't expecting to have to retire from footy at 34
Saying he would knock back an offer from Sydney to fly up to the SCG to watch his son play against the Swans because he won't leave his Adult kids at home???

The whole things was one big "wtf"

Finished watching the Dunkley one... Never have I seen one as confusing as that!

From claiming he didn't hit Hird to basically admitting when Mike showed footage and pressed him again
Saying he had a huge mortgage on his house and wasn't expecting to have to retire from footy at 34
Saying he would knock back an offer from Sydney to fly up to the SCG to watch his son play against the Swans because he won't leave his Adult kids at home???

The whole things was one big "wtf"
Did Mike happen to ask how big the mortgage was?

Just watched the Dunkley episode. Bizarre. I don’t know much about his background and upbringing but by the sounds of things he had an entitled one. Seemed like he went into the interview trying not to sound bitter and as a result managed to make himself sound twice as bitter.

Seemingly all because Sydney didn’t give him a job after he finished up as though they owed him something

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't watched much of this series for a couple of years but decided to watch a few, including the most recent one with Ray Shaw.

The Shaw one should've been better; Sheahan spent too much time asking inane questions about his sons' playing and coaching careers which Ray could only really provide stock and generic answers.

Much more interesting was Ray's own VFL career and how it was cut so surprisingly short by Tom Hafey; that was delved into a fair bit but it would've been more interesting to hear about the dynamics surrounding that. After all, I find it interesting that Hafey was considered such a players' coach yet seemed to lose the plot after the 1981 GF by all accounts and Ray was one of the scapegoats.

His successful playing/coaching VFA career was covered but the issue of why Ray didn't get into the VFL coaching arena in the mid-80s wasn't really delved into properly. Going by Ray's account he wanted to coach (particularly at Collingwood) but didn't get any offers; did he apply for any jobs?

Also watched the Corey McKernan one on YT. As I recall McKernan was criticised for not a particularly interesting interview but I think Sheahan's interviewing style is as much to blame as anything as there were some interesting topics there.

Particularly McKernan's relationship with Pagan which seemed complex and contradictory. At times McKernan positively talked about Pagan's influence on him in the long-term but on the other hand he basically said his relationship with Pagan at two clubs was so toxic that it killed his love of playing AFL. This was an interesting topic but Sheahan was more interested in irrelevant questions about what McKernan was doing on the night of the 1996 Brownlow down to what meal he had.

Also watched the Doug Wade episode which was fine enough, although Sheahan's patented excitement over Wade's money offer from North Melbourne was amusing to see

Had a big falling out with Roos when Roos didn't offer him a coaching gig. Complained to the board and they basically told him they would side with Roos.

Cracked the s**ts as he thought he deserved more from them.

the end

Maybe that is why his sons aren't playing for Sydney.

It is my understanding that a prospective son has to accept a nomination to be picked under "father-son". They have the right to refuse.

Maybe Andrew Dunkley told his sons not to accept f-s from Sydney (as he was pissed off with the Swans), and maybe saw it as revenge, getting back at them by denying his kids playing for the club.

If so, this is similar to what I heard about why Marc Murphy of Carlton isn't playing for Brisbane instead.

In Murphy's case, his father is ex-Fitzroy captain John Murphy, who was a star for the Lions in the 70's and 80's.

The story goes that, in 1996, Fitzroy had sacked Bernie Quinlan as coach. Now, they were looking for a new coach, and John Murphy put his hand up.

He apparently petitioned hard for the role, and argued that Fitzroy, in its perilous position, should be coached by someone who played for the club (like him).

Instead, the board picked Michael Nunan from SA, who played 1 game for Richmond.

Murphy was livid. Then, when it was announced that Fitzroy would fold at the end of the year, and merge with the Brisbane Bears, and Nunan quit, Murphy came out and criticised the board, saying that if they had appointed him instead, he would have stayed for the long haul and seen out the year. He heavily criticized the board and how they had let Fitzroy die.

So, when Marc Murphy was going to be drafted, he was eligible to be picked up f-s by Brisbane Lions (since Fitzroy f-s could play for Brisbane; (Jonathan Brown came to Brisbane because his father, Brian Brown, played over 100 games for Fitzroy). But he rejected them, and chose to go in the draft instead, and Carlton had first pick.

Now, Murphy said that it was because he didn't want to move interstate. But some conspiracy theorists think that John lent on his son to not play for Brisbane, as payback for not making him coach in 1996.

So, I wonder if it is the same thing with Andrew Dunkley, and why neither of his sons accepted f-s nominations to the Swans?

Maybe that is why his sons aren't playing for Sydney.

It is my understanding that a prospective son has to accept a nomination to be picked under "father-son". They have the right to refuse.

Maybe Andrew Dunkley told his sons not to accept f-s from Sydney (as he was pi**ed off with the Swans), and maybe saw it as revenge, getting back at them by denying his kids playing for the club.

If so, this is similar to what I heard about why Marc Murphy of Carlton isn't playing for Brisbane instead.

In Murphy's case, his father is ex-Fitzroy captain John Murphy, who was a star for the Lions in the 70's and 80's.

The story goes that, in 1996, Fitzroy had sacked Bernie Quinlan as coach. Now, they were looking for a new coach, and John Murphy put his hand up.

He apparently petitioned hard for the role, and argued that Fitzroy, in its perilous position, should be coached by someone who played for the club (like him).

Instead, the board picked Michael Nunan from SA, who played 1 game for Richmond.

Murphy was livid. Then, when it was announced that Fitzroy would fold at the end of the year, and merge with the Brisbane Bears, and Nunan quit, Murphy came out and criticised the board, saying that if they had appointed him instead, he would have stayed for the long haul and seen out the year. He heavily criticized the board and how they had let Fitzroy die.

So, when Marc Murphy was going to be drafted, he was eligible to be picked up f-s by Brisbane Lions (since Fitzroy f-s could play for Brisbane; (Jonathan Brown came to Brisbane because his father, Brian Brown, played over 100 games for Fitzroy). But he rejected them, and chose to go in the draft instead, and Carlton had first pick.

Now, Murphy said that it was because he didn't want to move interstate. But some conspiracy theorists think that John lent on his son to not play for Brisbane, as payback for not making him coach in 1996.

So, I wonder if it is the same thing with Andrew Dunkley, and why neither of his sons accepted f-s nominations to the Swans?
You could very well be onto something there.

I could see more reason for Murphy to be upset than Dunkley tbh.

Murphy wanting to coach out the team who had basically lost everything before they die out. As opposed to an ex player cracking the shits because he isn't offered a coaching role after retiring. Dunkleys is even more comical when he says that he won't go to an reunions at Sydney because he doesn't want to leave his kids. I mean ffs your kids are ADULTS and you would be gone for one night!

That attitude from Dunkley is probably why he wasn't offered a coaching role!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back