Preview Changes: R21 2019 vs West Coast

Changes for West Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

All our omissions since the 2017 Grand Final, ignoring injuries and departures. Bold are changes made after a loss

Round 1 - Otten
Round 2 -

Round 3 - Fogarty
Round 4 -
Round 5 - Fogarty
Round 6 -
Round 7 - Poholke
Round 8 - Fogarty
Round 9 -
Round 10 - Murphy, Otten
Round 11 - Gallucci, Poholke
Round 12 -
Round 13 - Murphy, Fogarty, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 15 - Atkins, Wilson

Round 16 -
Round 17 - Hampton, Poholke, Fogarty
Round 18 -
Round 19 -
Round 20 - Kelly
Round 21 -
Round 22 - Murphy, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 23 - Cheney

Round 1 - Gallucci, Greenwood, Himmelberg, Otten, Knight, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 - Gibbs
Round 5 - Jenkins, Poholke

Round 6 -
Round 7 - Poholke
Round 8 -
Round 9 - Knight
Round 10 - Gibbs
Round 11 - Jones, Knight, Himmelberg

Round 12 - Gibbs, Mackay
Round 13 -
Round 15 -
Round 16 - Davis, Gibbs, Himmelberg
Round 17 - Gallucci, Douglas

Round 18 - Stengle
Round 19 - Greenwood, Betts
Round 20 - Jenkins, Stengle, Wilson, Seedsman

Round 21 - O'Brien

Drop Counter
Fogarty - 5
Poholke - 5
Gibbs - 4
Otten - 3
Murphy - 3
Gallucci - 3
Ellis-Yolmen - 3
Himmelberg - 3
Knight - 3
Wilson - 2
Greenwood - 2
Jenkins - 2
Stengle - 2
Betts - 1
Seedsman - 1
O'Brien - 1
Atkins - 1
Hampton - 1
Kelly - 1
Cheney - 1
Jones - 1
Mackay - 1
Davis - 1
Douglas - 1

Number of times we dropped someone who has played:
Under 50 games - 34
Over 50 games - 17
Clearly we thought we'd be contenders this year.

I know I've been harping on about it for almost a year now - but, once again;

There is no plan.

The AFC do not have a defined goal of winning a Flag in a specified period of time - this is reflective of that.

There appears to be massive disconnects at every level within the Club. We recruit Gibbs - don't play him. We specifically target speedy players - we refuse to play them; and instead play even SLOWER players.

There is no plan and no system in our approach.

There is no plan to develop or improve the list and players, there is no willingness to take one step backwards to take two steps forward.

Is it week to week thinking, devoid of any strategic intent.
Great post.

One of the most frustrating things for me is the fact that we are refusing to bring the young guys in to play with our current group of A graders. The best way for these guys to learn and develop is to play alongside guys like Sloane, Tex, Eddie, Talia and the Crouch brothers. They are not getting anything by playing in the SANFL all year and especially not by being stuck on a HFF or back pocket all year.

By the time these guys to eventually get in we are going to be on our way down the ladder and losing most weeks, you can see how badly losing most weeks and the lack of genuine stars to protect them has halted the development of Gold Coast players over the years. You need to ensure you bring these guys into a winning environment and have the older guys carry them through their first few games and show them where they need to get to. Not drop them immediately when they don't play a blinder in their first game.

You need to find the right balance of youth and experience each year so you are constantly bringing youth in and moving some of the older guys out to keep moving forward rather than backwards like we are.

Instead our selection committee don't have the balls to back in our youth and refuse to drop their mates and have no intention what so ever to plan for the future. They are sabotaging the future of our club to save their jobs at the end of the season.

Massive siege mentality within the Club.

They don't appear to accept or even acknowledge criticism, just put up the walls and protect the echo chamber, and then double down.

Burton on 5AA said they all have a good laugh amongst themselves about it. True story.

AFC sent me an email to pick my "members choice item" early for next year.....nice try AFC.
Im dropping my membership as its criminal to financially support such a disgraceful organization.
If they had of given me the option of a pair of Crows scissors....which i could cut up my membership with...i might of signed up.
Im out....every week selection just confirms ive made the right decision.
I bet a few players are thinking the same thing !!!

Anyone else notice that our football department, apart from maybe Pyke, were all unable to accept that their own playing careers were done?

Smart - dropped unceremoniously mid-season. Cracked the shits and retired.
Hart - delisted by Craig. Cracked the shits and ended up playing a year in the SANFL.
Camporeale - went to another club and played another couple of seasons while well past his best.
Clarke - went to another club and played another season while well past his best.
Ricciuto - kept putting his hand up to play at the expense of the team. Cost us a final.
Mattner - went on one season too long.
Burton - went on one season too long. Was dropped unceremoniously (despite Craig calling his performances "solid") and couldn't get a kick in the SANFL so retired.
Reilly - was already well and truly cooked by the time his unfortunate incident happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I've been harping on about it for almost a year now - but, once again;

There is no plan.

The AFC do not have a defined goal of winning a Flag in a specified period of time - this is reflective of that.

There appears to be massive disconnects at every level within the Club. We recruit Gibbs - don't play him. We specifically target speedy players - we refuse to play them; and instead play even SLOWER players.

There is no plan and no system in our approach.

There is no plan to develop or improve the list and players, there is no willingness to take one step backwards to take two steps forward.

Is it week to week thinking, devoid of any strategic intent.
I said in the other thread " the only plan is the next game. Tomorrow can be somebody elses problem "

Burton on 5AA said they all have a good laugh amongst themselves about it. True story.

I genuinely think they've gone even further down the rabbit hole than usual. They've reached the point where they actively think that their fans are enemies.

I don't want to be near AFC head quarters Sunday arvo if we lose.

Truly awful selections this week.

If?

Mate, we're gonna get flogged. We are no chance.

We got flogged across the park by St Kilda and only won because they couldn't capitalise in front of goal.

We have picked a bunch of finished dinosaurs, no chance.

AFC sent me an email to pick my "members choice item" early for next year.....nice try AFC.
Im dropping my membership as its criminal to financially support such a disgraceful organization.
If they had of given me the option of a pair of Crows scissors....which i could cut up my membership with...i might of signed up.
Im out....every week selection just confirms ive made the right decision.
I bet a few players are thinking the same thing !!!
My membership went in the bin. Didn't go to 1 game this year. Luckily my bet on Carlton's win over us paid for it.

Last edited:
We won't even think of sacking Pyke until we are no longer a mathematical chance to make the eight
Pyke will only get sacked when there is no alternative but to sack him. They will back him in as that's what Chapman does. Did it with Craig, i guarantee he will do it with Pyke. We haven't reached the bottom yet. That will come mid season next year I predict. The only thing that will force change will be members not turning up. Until that happens enjoy the ride off the side of a cliff. Those in charge are clueless and arrogant. A dangerous combination. The way the club operates is that they only reluctantly fix a problem when it becomes sufficiently big enough that it can't be ignored. They dont subscribe to the philosophy of fixing a problem before it gets worse.

Last edited:
I genuinely think they've gone even further down the rabbit hole than usual. They've reached the point where they actively think that their fans are enemies.
At this point we ARE the enemy, how dare we want to change things

All our omissions since the 2017 Grand Final, ignoring injuries and departures. Bold are changes made after a loss

Round 1 - Otten
Round 2 -

Round 3 - Fogarty
Round 4 -
Round 5 - Fogarty
Round 6 -
Round 7 - Poholke
Round 8 - Fogarty
Round 9 -
Round 10 - Murphy, Otten
Round 11 - Gallucci, Poholke
Round 12 -
Round 13 - Murphy, Fogarty, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 15 - Atkins, Wilson

Round 16 -
Round 17 - Hampton, Poholke, Fogarty
Round 18 -
Round 19 -
Round 20 - Kelly
Round 21 -
Round 22 - Murphy, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 23 - Cheney

Round 1 - Gallucci, Greenwood, Himmelberg, Otten, Knight, Ellis-Yolmen
Round 2 -
Round 3 -
Round 4 - Gibbs
Round 5 - Jenkins, Poholke

Round 6 -
Round 7 - Poholke
Round 8 -
Round 9 - Knight
Round 10 - Gibbs
Round 11 - Jones, Knight, Himmelberg

Round 12 - Gibbs, Mackay
Round 13 -
Round 15 -
Round 16 - Davis, Gibbs, Himmelberg
Round 17 - Gallucci, Douglas

Round 18 - Stengle
Round 19 - Greenwood, Betts
Round 20 - Jenkins, Stengle, Wilson, Seedsman

Round 21 - O'Brien

Drop Counter
Fogarty - 5
Poholke - 5
Gibbs - 4
Otten - 3
Murphy - 3
Gallucci - 3
Ellis-Yolmen - 3
Himmelberg - 3
Knight - 3
Wilson - 2
Greenwood - 2
Jenkins - 2
Stengle - 2
Betts - 1
Seedsman - 1
O'Brien - 1
Atkins - 1
Hampton - 1
Kelly - 1
Cheney - 1
Jones - 1
Mackay - 1
Davis - 1
Douglas - 1

Number of times we dropped someone who has played:
Under 50 games - 34
Over 50 games - 17

Great work Scorpus. How Atkins and Mackay have only been dropped ONCE in that time is an indictment on the club 🤯

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back